Dome's Build Thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last year I built some Zigmahornets and from then on I was hooked, now probably for life and I'm only 18. However being 5ft tall their not particuarly practical for University after the summer and therefore summets smaller was needed. Having seen the Ikea bowls I realised thats what I wanted to do, but still not the money for all 4 bowls. A little search and I found the Focal Domes and therefore decided to make some dome/ half-sphere shaped speakers. The little calculations I did are below as I don't have any software so I used online claculators: mh-audio.nl and linearteam.dk. Shown below are a few calculations I used from them. I know there won't be really any bass, but I do have a subwoofer to do that job, so thats sort of fine.
screenshotone.jpg

screenshots2.jpg

Colour scheme still to be decided on but I may go bright like the Focal's or keep the wood, have the mdf(shown later in build) painted silver and have a white grille, in a very minimalist way sort of like a Braun SK4. Shown below is a quick mock up on Sketch Up of what may happen, especially with the amp(Temple Audio Bantam), but dimensions will be refined and developed to be much more appealing.
screenshots3_edited-1.jpg

If there are anysuggestions as I only have limited knowledge on in the propeties of speakers and how to make them sound better feel free to critisise and say how it is possible to make them better. The first parts of constrution will be shown in the post below as the first stages have been started.

Day One build. This will hopefully show construction much more easily than describing.
One Blanda 20cm Bowl and some very usefull brackets I found lying around which are screwed and glued in place. The circle was cut out by hand with a jigsaw by me, so is very round :D. Non of these laser cutters needed here.
th_DSCN0830.jpg

Next was testing so see that it fitted when screwed on and a little sanding ajustment as the screws pulls the circle over a little. There will be some sort of gasket betwen bowl and mdf to mae a better seal.
th_DSCN0831.jpg

Inserting the port, with another great find around the house being this thick card tube I found(budgets you see).
th_DSCN0834.jpg

Day One completes with a quick test. To the right is a half built Fonken I will test them against hopefully when both are built.
th_DSCN0840_edited-1.jpg

Yes Fostex Fe103e. Sorry about the pictures. I'll try and change them. I realisied why there small, as I only copied the link from the smaller photobucket album section and not the one from the single puicture view like the first post pictures.

I've seen your wedges, going for summets completely different, but will probably sound much butter, but it's design design design with me, with the acceptence of slightly lesser sound. However when I tested them last night they sounded much better than I thought. All I wanted was them to sound like the Zigma's and I do think in my small room they are quite close.

What course, year, uni? I'm Coventry after the summer for Automotive Design.

These should sound good with a subwoofer, good drivers and no parallel surfaces inside the enclosure are plus points. A driver centered on a round baffle gives rise to a peaky baffle step response, placement near a wall may balance it out a little though.

Looks like a tidy build so far, look forward to seeing how it turns out :)

I'm goint to Solent to study Audio Technology in Sep :)

I like your "budget solutions". I have heaps of cardboard tubes from cling wrap products; some have thicker tubes than most - very nearly all cardboard ports you can buy, so essentially you have free ports with the limitation of diameter and the fact that you have to make your own flared ends. I assume Fostex drivers don't need flared ports due to their tiny excursion capabilities?

The enclosures look good on that chair, though making those curves would be difficult...

Plus, your feet look Hobbit-like in that photo with the bowl:D

You spotted the feet, that i nearly cropped off the photo, but hey ho everybody has them :D. Plus I'm on tiptoes. Yes the card tube was perfect, just merely lying around my house. I think mum was about to use it or bagsy'd it but a quick phone call to her at work secured the tube for me. I'm not sure about flaring the port. You won't see the fronts any way as i'm going to make another layer of mdf but in a ring form so I can wrap the speaker cloth around it and slot it on the front, with them grille fixing thingies like on the Wharfdale(bottom left).

Just a quick update. The stands have been started as shown in the photos. Bit of pine, but the base may end up being made from steel or a metal plate, but that will be worked out when done and if they don't work. They are/will be fully movable, but with a change of plan as the butterfly didnt hold them securley enough. Therefore they will pivot around the bolt and a series of holes will be drilled around the pivot areas and a thin pin will be inserted in any of thew holes through both parts of the wood at the pivot section in the desired postion. Slightly complicated but once done pretty simple.
DSCN0845.jpg

DSCN0843.jpg

DSCN0854.jpg

Shown blow is the actual holder to be cut out in the "P" shape and will also be attached to the top using the pivot system and the ring will be used for the speaker to be sit in.
DSCN0853.jpg

Quick update.

Just a quick update of how things will look when finished with stands. The stands will be sorted (ie holes filled form the many experiments and problems) and then primed and hopefully with a bit of sun to help get a good finish. While there drying the speaker grille rings(MDF) will be cut in hope of the speaker fabric(white-no black here-pure silver, white, light wood minimalism ) arriving on Monday and then can be ‘faffed’ around with to get them fitted/ finished to a high standard onto the MDF rings. I can hear the help of my Mum coming in here. Plus I’m hoping the circular MDF speaker holders that the speakers actually sit in will hold as I'm worried about the twist that I can sometimes see. But they are perfect as they allow the speakers to be directed in any way whatever. Up, right, left and down. Shame that the stands won't be movable, as my many experiments that I conducted didn't work as planned, due to mainly the softness of the pine. However experiment number 5,403 speaker stands will be built another time in the future, which will be hopefully fully movable and fully positionable.
DSCN0875.jpg

DSCN0877.jpg

DSCN0878.jpg

DSCN0874.jpg

A update, been a while, but here it is. They’re not quite finished as you can tell, as the stands are only prototypes to test the stability and balance.

The grilles are pretty much done, they just need mounting posts/ attachments working out and fixing to them. If anyone is interested in how I made them, I used a Tapestry ring and placed the speaker cloth in them as per normal, but then using fabric glue, I glued the cloth to the inside and trimmed off the excess. Then removing the stretcher bar (which helped keep the edges stretched and perfectly smooth) I was left with a perfectly circular speaker grille, although a tiny little bit too big for the bowls, but the best I can do.

HELP HERE PLEASE: The sound however is as predicted lacking base and as they will be used in a uni room I'm trying not to have to lug a Subwoofer there, so need some advice. After comparing them to some mFonkens I quickly built they could do with going down a few Hz (well more like maybe 20hz). Then they would be fine.
If I were to get some stuffing and experiment could I squeeze a little bit of extra base and remove the slightly airy sound?

Or what I have thought about is, as I'm on limited budgets is getting some 4" woofers and some tweeters from Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44693 and http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44697). A quick honest answer please, as some sims at least tell they would go much lower, but would they have any quality to them in the real sound department? Has anybody used similar cheap drivers? As these would be put in the domes (the tweeter or maybe a much smaller tweeter would be mounted on top) and transfer the Fe103e's to some Frugalhorns I've wanted to build and keep them at home. Simply would I be wasted my money?

Thanks
DSCN0901.jpg

DSCN0903.jpg

DSCN0295.jpg

DSCN0297.jpg

DSCN0296.jpg

Hi, I like your design concept, but although not an expert, I would think you are loosing some of the base due to then nature of the stands. The flex will mean for larger driver excursions the whole thing will move and counteract the cones movement.

Sorry I can,t be more specific.

By the way, when I went to uni I had to leave my dual dual505/nytech/kef codas behind! Boy did I miss my system!

Hello
Yes I do understand what you are saying and that could be robbing me of some Hz's, as there not mighty sand ladden granite stands. However it is proably much more to with my tiny drivers (although with a sub it does sound pretty good) and a small enclosure as I didn't have the money to get the bigger bowls, however also with some sims I believe they would have been 'drowned' (no expert either) and it would have made no difference.
I would go out tomorro and buy them Maplin drivers, as with some sims using their dodgy figures(a vas of 1.098um^2?, so I have presumed that meant 1.098m^3. Correct if wrong , but that measurement should be in ^3 not^2) they would go much lower, but with at what cost to the more important issues of quality and detail, plus SPL. Just don't want to waste my money, as I really do need it at the moment for more important stuff.

Wish i didn't have to leave the Wharfedale behind, but it's bloody big and heavy, oh and loud...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.