CHR-70 Cabinet Decision

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My EL70eN & CHR70.2eN are the same price. The aggressivness of Madisound's CHR pricing was a bit of a surprise. The EL70 also has about a 3dB efficiency advantage. My personal pref is definitly EL70 over CHR Mk1. We'll see what i think when Mk 2 comes up from downstairs.

With those amps the A7 may actually be a detriment in that it shows the warts on the amp in more stark relief. Every one of these drivers has their place and system synergy is not to be ignored.

dave

Glad I caught up on this thread because it expands on answers to questions I've had about throwing down for Alpair 7 when CHR will perform in my SS
gear (t-amp or receiver.)

So what would a BIB look like for the CHR 70? I mean in performance. I have a retrofit of a BIB for FE17e in mind to get things going with Mark Audio.

I have had no problems driving my CHR 70s with a Pioneer, Yamaha and JVC receivers. The RCA was a little disappointing - it was the cheapest of the lot though, so it wasn't unexpected. Bad recordings on the other-hand come through too well :( . I'll have to pay better attention to the music I acquire from here on out. Every time I turn them on I'm amazed. How such sound come out of those things I don't really understand, but I really like it. Perhaps they would sound even better with a better amplifier, but I'll bet my ears aren't trained well enough to hear it, yet. I think after you listen to something like this for a while it is easier to distinguish the subtleties in the sound coming out. People write that the other speakers are even better and I marvel as to how that could be possible. My gosh, I'm not looking back from here - I'm just happy I jumped into this hobby while my ears are young enough to enjoy it. I might just yet jump up another level when I'm able. If your hesitating about trying something like this - stop now and dive in :D. It's worth it.

Robert

Last edited:
I have had no problems driving my CHR 70s with a Pioneer, Yamaha and JVC receivers. The RCA was a little disappointing - it was the cheapest of the lot though, so it wasn't unexpected. Bad recordings on the other-hand come through too well :( . I'll have to pay better attention to the music I acquire from here on out. Every time I turn them on I'm amazed. How such sound come out of those things I don't really understand, but I really like it. Perhaps they would sound even better with a better amplifier, but I'll bet my ears aren't trained well enough to hear it, yet. I think after you listen to something like this for a while it is easier to distinguish the subtleties in the sound coming out. People write that the other speakers are even better and I marvel as to how that could be possible. My gosh, I'm not looking back from here - I'm just happy I jumped into this hobby while my ears are young enough to enjoy it. I might just yet jump up another level when I'm able. If your hesitating about trying something like this - stop now and dive in :D. It's worth it.

Robert

Myself; I get the most satisfaction from a great price performance ratio & really believe in the point of diminishing returns, so if it makes you grin, every thing else is just experimentation :)

That said, I just ordered a set of CHR-70's with the El-70's to follow shortly.

I've been building for years bu thave stayed in the Fostex camp all that time. With the BIB calculator I can see roughly if the BIB for the FE127e Fostex can house the CHR-70.

The cutout space will not be problem because the CHR-70 is not very deep. But the
line length of the BIB will tell if the box I have is a good match.

There is an extensive memorial thread on the BIB and so I should direct my questions there-- and get the thread refreshed as well.

may be another variant

Hi everybody,
I really like the microtower, castle version, style.
I just played with Martin Kings sheets and think, that a ML tqwt should work also very well.

What do you think about a tqwt castle version:

L: 56 (may be even less, down to 52)
Position: 0,47 (upfireing 0,5 and frontfireing 0,45)
S0: 1,0
SL: 3,4
Port R: 1,37 (7cm)
Port Len: 3

I am not shure if this will work better or worse than the original microtower, but low frequency augmentation seems to be a bit more, the sims look promising.

would like to read your recommendations.

Last edited:
The other approach to getting more out of these, is to add bass helpers. I've started on a project with an Alpair7eN & 4 SDX7 per side. Once sorted, i'd expect that if you could find this in a retail store from an established manufacturer, it would cost 15-40k and be VERY competitive. That tells you how good i think the A7 is. (and one could extrapolate that to an A12 with 4 SDX10 or custom AE 10s, in the 30-80k range :))

dave

Just out of curiosity Dave, where do you intend to cross the A7 over to the SDX7s?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.