Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CHR-70 Cabinet Decision
CHR-70 Cabinet Decision
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2010, 07:35 PM   #11
testproggie is offline testproggie  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the explanation about dynamic range. I'm glad there's a good reason for it. And they are indeed plywood - marine 9 ply with absolutely no voids. It's scrap from a now defunct boat manufacturer nearby and it was so cheap I bought quite a bit of it. Virtually all the pieces were over 8 feet long of various widths. It kept my costs down and seems more than up to the task. Since I'm new at this I didn't want to spend too much money on really good plywood. Dave, upload pictures to where exactly? I thought only pictures up to about 195K could be uploaded? Tell me where and I'll supply them. I'll overcome my embarrassment of you guys being able to pick out the flaws. If the average guy can make these great sounding cabs even with flaws, maybe it will encourage someone else to give it a try. It's definitely worth it.
Old 20th July 2010, 07:44 PM   #12
italynstylion is offline italynstylion  United States
diyAudio Member

Excellent work Robert. Glad to see other people getting into the Lotus^2. I was a believer as soon as I turned them on.
Old 20th July 2010, 07:47 PM   #13
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

CHR-70 Cabinet Decision
Quote:
Originally Posted by testproggie View Post
Dave, upload pictures to where exactly?
You'll need to email them to me... i'll send an email so that you have me email.

dave
Old 20th July 2010, 07:51 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

CHR-70 Cabinet Decision
Quote:
Originally Posted by testproggie View Post
If the average guy can make these great sounding cabs even with flaws, maybe it will encourage someone else to give it a try. It's definitely worth it.
It is in the whole communities' interest that people's 1st builds are successful -- it encourages more addicts So help & encouragement is always given freely.

If you think your build is flawed, just consider that Chris doesn't let me near any actual builds (except occasionally acting as an additional pair of hand). I end up doing most of my speaker building in VectorWorks & SketchUp.

dave
Old 20th July 2010, 08:30 PM   #15
jea is offline jea  United States
diyAudio Member

It is in the whole communities' interest that people's 1st builds are successful -- it encourages more addicts

No kidding! Sure perks my interest. Especially hearing about the bass. Because I was wondering about the bass with such a small speaker.

Any thoughts about using Alpair7 vs CHR-70? I realize the cost doubles. What about sound?

Regards,

John
Old 20th July 2010, 08:58 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

CHR-70 Cabinet Decision
My feeling only, i've not been able to compare apples with apples, is that CHR will dig down a bit better than A7, but A7 has more finese, much more. But that is based on CHR Mk1, my Mk2s are in process and i should be able to slide the 1st ones into a box i about a week.

But if you really want bottom, the EL70 is the king here as far as i'm concerned. Steven is probably better positioned to do a compare, he has both Coniston^2 & Lotus^2 (except for changes for the specific drivers, these are the same design brief), althou Steven also may not have experienced Gen2 CHR. I have one client that built 2 pair of bipole EL70 Met (and a "matching" custom designed centre) and is using them in an HT (i think 1 pair of the Mets were actually picnched ay a friend) and says he just took the sub away. BTW if there is interest, i'll happily do up an EL70 based Toole-style surround similar to the CHR one in the microTower HT appendix (speaking of which -- Steven do you have music coming out of your folded half-towers?)

One thing i can say, any of the Mark Audios, particularily the Gen2 which started with EL70, will produce a very satisfying speaker and provide huge value. Differences are more of flavour, finesse, and quantity. You will be hard pressed to find any Gen 1 drivers anyway, their quality was already such that they took the world by storm, and most are already in the hands of diyers.

Back onto CHR vrs A7, i speculate (yet to be confirmed) that the lower priced drivers work better with "lesser" amplifiers (inexpensive HT receivers, budget T-amps, chipamps, cheap tube amps) as they won't put as much of a spot-lite on their deficencies, and for the same price as one of the Alpairs, you can build a box with 2 pair of CHR or EL70, so you can get more "quantity" (ie volume, impact, dynamics, spaciousness). Of course if budget was no issue you'd already have a really good amp, and would look at a pair of A7 or A12.

The other approach to getting more out of these, is to add bass helpers. I've started on a project with an Alpair7eN & 4 SDX7 per side. Once sorted, i'd expect that if you could find this in a retail store from an established manufacturer, it would cost 15-40k and be VERY competitive. That tells you how good i think the A7 is. (and one could extrapolate that to an A12 with 4 SDX10 or custom AE 10s, in the 30-80k range )

dave
Old 20th July 2010, 09:34 PM   #17
italynstylion is offline italynstylion  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave is right, the EL70 is a low end monster. Granted, the cabinets for the Coniston^2 are a bit bigger than the Lotus^2, but the bass is almost overwhelming in small rooms. It sure does make you smile though
Old 20th July 2010, 09:37 PM   #18
jea is offline jea  United States
diyAudio Member

I am not looking for a overwhelming bass. Just a true/good sounding speaker.

Regards,

John
Old 22nd July 2010, 03:43 AM   #19
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
My feeling only, i've not been able to compare apples with apples, is that CHR will dig down a bit better than A7, but A7 has more finese, much more. But that is based on CHR Mk1, my Mk2s are in process and i should be able to slide the 1st ones into a box i about a week.

But if you really want bottom, the EL70 is the king here as far as i'm concerned. Steven is probably better positioned to do a compare, he has both Coniston^2 & Lotus^2 (except for changes for the specific drivers, these are the same design brief), althou Steven also may not have experienced Gen2 CHR. I have one client that built 2 pair of bipole EL70 Met (and a "matching" custom designed centre) and is using them in an HT (i think 1 pair of the Mets were actually picnched ay a friend) and says he just took the sub away. BTW if there is interest, i'll happily do up an EL70 based Toole-style surround similar to the CHR one in the microTower HT appendix (speaking of which -- Steven do you have music coming out of your folded half-towers?)

One thing i can say, any of the Mark Audios, particularily the Gen2 which started with EL70, will produce a very satisfying speaker and provide huge value. Differences are more of flavour, finesse, and quantity. You will be hard pressed to find any Gen 1 drivers anyway, their quality was already such that they took the world by storm, and most are already in the hands of diyers.

Back onto CHR vrs A7, i speculate (yet to be confirmed) that the lower priced drivers work better with "lesser" amplifiers (inexpensive HT receivers, budget T-amps, chipamps, cheap tube amps) as they won't put as much of a spot-lite on their deficencies, and for the same price as one of the Alpairs, you can build a box with 2 pair of CHR or EL70, so you can get more "quantity" (ie volume, impact, dynamics, spaciousness). Of course if budget was no issue you'd already have a really good amp, and would look at a pair of A7 or A12.

The other approach to getting more out of these, is to add bass helpers. I've started on a project with an Alpair7eN & 4 SDX7 per side. Once sorted, i'd expect that if you could find this in a retail store from an established manufacturer, it would cost 15-40k and be VERY competitive. That tells you how good i think the A7 is. (and one could extrapolate that to an A12 with 4 SDX10 or custom AE 10s, in the 30-80k range )

dave
Personally I like the all black, old school look of the El70 over the look of the CHR & Alpair 7 (just my opinion, to each his/her own . The cone shape and center cap also look similar to the Alpair 7 & 12. Yet the specs for the El & CHR look fairly similar so I wonder if the EL70 is worth the extra, all be it a nominal difference of $26.00 (per pair) over the CHR?

Also, without the higher end amps are most users going to realize or be able to appreciate the more refined nature of the Alpair 7?

Last edited by type; 22nd July 2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 22nd July 2010, 03:56 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

CHR-70 Cabinet Decision
Quote:
Originally Posted by type View Post
Also, without the higher end amps are most users going to realize or be able to appreciate the more refined nature of the Alpair 7?
My EL70eN & CHR70.2eN are the same price. The aggressivness of Madisound's CHR pricing was a bit of a surprise. The EL70 also has about a 3dB efficiency advantage. My personal pref is definitly EL70 over CHR Mk1. We'll see what i think when Mk 2 comes up from downstairs.

With those amps the A7 may actually be a detriment in that it shows the warts on the amp in more stark relief. Every one of these drivers has their place and system synergy is not to be ignored.

dave

CHR-70 Cabinet DecisionHide this!Advertise here!