Tang Band W4-930SF - Full range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It looks like an excellent alternative to the Fostex FE103En as it has a neo magnet and more bass.

But it has a hard-to-work-with 6 ohm so we can't wire 2 or 5 for a line array unless you've got an higher end amp that can handle 3ohm (closer to 4) loads.

WinISD suggests BR of 14L and fb of 59Hz, port length 1.46" with dia of 1.5", f3:55Hz
max group delay:13.3ms
If I were you, I would sacrifice some bass for less group delay. 8L with fb of 73Hz looks good, port length 2" with dia. of 1.5", f3:70Hz.Max group delay:8.1ms.

That's a nice looking machine. Minimal top end rise, a little more bottom, and more than the usual TB Xmax. OB-friendly Qts, paper cone, we likes it.

Boy, I'm thinkin' hard. I got a pair of Brooklyn nickel pinstripe from Mikey that are just a little too heavy a load for the 6V6 (8K), and two of these in series would be the mutha.

Ooh,

Poinz

It looks like an excellent alternative to the Fostex FE103En as it has a neo magnet and more bass.

But it has a hard-to-work-with 6 ohm so we can't wire 2 or 5 for a line array unless you've got an higher end amp that can handle 3ohm (closer to 4) loads.

As an aside, you can easily arrange 12 of these to present an 8 ohm load. Both arrangements in the attached image will present an 8 ohm load, but, the second (Parallel-series) will present a 9 ohm load on single driver failure, vs. 12 ohm on the first (Series-parallel).

Tom.

Attachments

• LineArray.gif
    LineArray.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 808
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My man Dave,

Whatchoo think it would do for this driver to put a plug on it?

Poinz

Depends. Mostly on how well the dust cap suppresses the oil can resonance in the void above the pole piece.

I'm not familiar with this driver -- just now looked at the picture (i'm not a big fan of small drivers with convex surrounds, that would disqualify this one from my short list). For instance the old FE103s benefit from phase plugs, the newer ones with the much more substantial dustcap gain nothing thru the mids, but loose capability on the LF.

dave

impedance measurement

I received the speakers and played them over 100 hours with pink noise. The impedance measurements is showing the peak at 92hz rather than 70 as in the published specs (graph includes two speakers). I am using speaker workshop for the measurements, just calibrated to the reference resistors. Passive measurements of resistors are right on so I assume the impedance measurement is good. I am not quite sure how to do the full range frequency response measurement with the software, once I figure it out I will post it. I will try measuring the T/S as well.

The dust cap appears to be easily removable (I don't want to remove it yet), with the leads to the coil attached below the cone right above the spider.

Serial numbers are #80 and 194 so they may be from the first batch, lot 8F100302.

I put them on a 14 L BR and I can tell the sound much better than the Pioneer 4 inch from Parts Express.

Alfredo

Attachments

• w4-930sf impedance.jpg
    w4-930sf impedance.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 701
I am not quite sure how to do the full range frequency response measurement with the software, once I figure it out I will post it. I will try measuring the T/S as well.
I've had my eye on these lately, anxious to see these measurements.

I put them on a 14 L BR and I can tell the sound much better than the Pioneer 4 inch from Parts Express.
Awesome. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.