Center and Surrounds to Complement Alpair 10 Sides

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm presently using Alpair 10s (1st generation) on either side of my home theater screen, and love them. I now want to move up to 5.1. For the front center, I plan to use the new 2nd generation Alpair 10s (are they available yet?). Is there a better option?

The front and center are about 12-14 feet from the prime seating position.

The surrounds will be less than 5 feet from the prime seating position, and behind. I don't want the surrounds to overpower the fronts. Should I use something other than Alpair 10s? If so, what?

(Regrettably, I just moved from a nice amp to a an AV receiver that will decode 5.1 optical data from an HTPC. Yuck.)

I'd use the exact same speaker across the front (all the way around you actually).
Surround sound (especially stadium and church) sounded like a tin can until I had the same speakers in the front and back.

But, I think if you cannot get another gen 1, you can try a gen2 for a center, or better yet run the gen 1's you have as surrounds and get 3 gen 2 drivers for across the front.

Norman

Thanks. I like the suggestion to use Gen2s for the fronts and move the Gen1s to the surrounds. Can someone point me to a center channel plan for the Alpair 10s that would complement Jim Griffin's MLTL plans? (None of the plan links on Mark Audio's web site is working for me.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.