Best cabinet for Audio Nirvana Super 8 Cast??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently acquired a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 8 cast drivers, picked them up for a great price....

I have been looking at cabinet designs, and am coming up short still. Leaning towards horns, thought about Fidelio, cannot find anything that really is seducing me..

I have a full shop, build audio related stuff most every day, have built a few fairly complex horns, and not seen any that intimidate me too much. Sound is what counts... I do like bass, and understand that this is going to require some compromise in that department. I listen to a wide range of music, including some 'big' music. Just finished a pair of Jordan Transmission line cabs, and really like them for some types of music. Listening mainly through idler decks, Tube phono stage, tube pre, PX-25 main, or SS main. Been listening to Snell Type A IIs for years...

Any opinions on these drivers? Should I get rid of them and not waste my time with them?

What are the best horn designs you know of, and where can I find plans?

Cheers!

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The AN drivers are pretty good, IMHO, and since you have had plenty of experience with horns, why not give open baffle a try. You can knock it up in half a day. You will need some helper woofers though. Eminence alpha 15 is a good start.

are its parameters pretty well known from several measurements? seems to me existing horns may "work" if simulations don't indicate excessive peaking above cutoff and holes in the response. Bill Woods went through a process of 13 builds (not fully described) to come up with his K-slot back loaded horn. It like others may work if the parameters-predictions fit and if those hold up under dynamic conditions.

Planet10 - when do mix and match horn-driver combo go awry? - is it within predictions? do art & luck sometimes dominate beyond modeling? are there factors which can't be measured? where are the best places to measure blh frequency response?

An8"

Hello,

i tested the standart 8",
the cast 8" would be also working,
the simulation are more or less identically.

look on my HP plan of
3 SAT horns down to 100 Hz,
and the new double horns
SAXOPHON and RDH20.

100 dB 1W 1m with 1 mm stroke,
bass down 34 Hz.

Attachments

• sathornb200web.jpg
    sathornb200web.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 843
  • saxfront1nirvana.jpg
    saxfront1nirvana.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 825
  • rdh20 vornAweb.jpg
    rdh20 vornAweb.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 816
that's a nice extended double-horn system. One problem with parameters running towards higher qts and fs is assumption a reflex will work. To my taste 42Hz was too low to tune a 70 liter reflex with Super10 and puts the second impedance peak's magnitude too high - - bass impact impression was weak
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I may try some open baffles, just to try, I have no experience with them at all. The idea is strange to me still. On that basis alone, I need to try. Still, I love the sound of horns so much, that is probably what I am looking for..

If you are considering OB, have you checked out these threads?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/108751-new-mjk-baffle-article.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...jx92s-ob-goldwood-gw-1858-woofer-h-frame.html

I can tell you from experience that MJK's MathCAD worksheets are well worth their modest cost if you want to play around with designs (including OB), especially since they can help you integrate the FR w/ the helper woofer and assist in working out the cross over.

Cheers, Jim

Kalinowski BLH based on Nagaoka's design

This is an old thread and Woodsong has more than likely moved on by now, but I will chip-in my 2 cents anyway.

About three years ago I managed to screw up the Fostex 206 ESR's on the John Kalinowki's built BLH's I own. Needing replacement drivers and not finding any 206 ESR's anywhere, I spoke with David Dicks of Commonsense Audio and he recommended I gave the AN Super 8 Cast Frames a try. They sounded pretty good out of the box and got better and better as time went on.
Three years later I have since added the famed Bybee Purifier bullets before the driver, which cost more than three times more, but is was a worthy investment because the AN's were able to reproduce the sound at a higher level. In fact, faithful as they are, I was immediately rewarded on every improvement in the source chain. Bass is not a problem down to 40 HZ. Below that I have an active 18" sub going on duty.

My point is, from my vantage point the AN Super 8 Cast Frames and BLH's were made for one another.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.