Mpl

MPL

Hello Joachim,

Thanks for sharing so much information about open baffle speakers with Enviee drivers on this forum, even i was also planning to build open baffles with widerangers and could not decide which wide range driver to buy out of Fertin,Lowther or Wolf Von langa, and also recently read on the net ,very positive reviews of loudspeakers built with Enviee drivers ,kindly share with us how does your open baffle with Enviee drivers sounds.

Thanks

MPL

Hello Joachim,

Thanks for sharing so much information about open baffle speakers with Enviee drivers on this forum, even i was also planning to build open baffles with widerangers and could not decide which wide range driver to buy out of Fertin,Lowther or Wolf Von langa, and also recently read on the net ,very positive reviews of loudspeakers built with Enviee drivers ,kindly share with us how does your open baffle with Enviee drivers sounds.

Thanks

Dear Joachim,

how is the soundstage and liveliness with Enviee driver in OB,

I had heard a speaker with lowther driver,the soundstage was so holographic, that i could feel musician sitting right around me,though overall i could not bear the sound for more than few minutes.since then i have been searching net for a driver with holographic soundstage,but without harshness.

Thanks

mekr

Congratulation,

This has evolved into a viable product:

wd13_12.jpg

Now can you give us some more information than here?

Rudolf, the biggest problem i faced was to make the baffle as slim as possible.
Nobody will put a 1,2m wide baffle in his living room unless he ( she ) is as crazy as we are. That width is the minimum i identified to reach down deep enough to augment it with a sub where the transition frequency is not audible. I would say that is around 120Hz.
The first trick is to damp the back wave so we have more of a cardiod here. The second is to use a rather thick baffle that also makes the distructive path to the back a bit longer.
The acrylic extensions make the speaker at least visually slimmer.
I even personally prefer a single Enviee with wizzer but the world is not ready for this yet so i use the Enviee without wizzer and cross at ca. 8kHz with a 4th order L/R crossover to a RAAL dipole that is not damped in the back, safe a foam grill.
The black rings ensure time alignment so that i can save an all pass delay in the crossover.