Open Baffle Fullrange speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all,

I am looking for ideas for an open baffle pair of speaker, that utilizes a single pair of full range drivers, and is simple i.e. no XO.

The application is surround speakers mostly for home cinema and occassionally for music (therefore quality must be descent).

Has anybody tried this? Any links to high-quality projects?

Cheers
Evan

Hi chatziva,
there is a lot of information about what you are looking for so the first thing to do is try the "search" facility and then enjoy reading what comes up. Follow all the link trails that you come across and search again, and again, with different words and terms. This way you will gradually refine what you are looking for.
Do this first and then ask questions.
Have fun.

I am looking for ideas for an open baffle pair of speaker, that utilizes a single pair of full range drivers, and is simple i.e. no XO.

The application is surround speakers mostly for home cinema and occassionally for music (therefore quality must be descent).

Has anybody tried this? Any links to high-quality projects?

Unfortunately you are not going to get much bass response from a single full range driver on an OB. Depending on the size of the baffle, you probably should not expect much output below 100 Hz. The roll off will start even higher if the full range driver has a Qts < 0.5 and the baffle is of a reasonable size (< 24" wide).

Unfortunately you are not going to get much bass response from a single full range driver on an OB. Depending on the size of the baffle, you probably should not expect much output below 100 Hz. The roll off will start even higher if the full range driver has a Qts < 0.5 and the baffle is of a reasonable size (< 24" wide).
That is a problem as I also want to keep the baffle at minimum width due to WAF. A sub will take care of those low frequencies, but there might still be a small gap between 100-200hz.

a fostex fe167e may work well, based on an ifinite sized open baffle it will roll at 165hz (Fs/qts), also you need a large enough baffle to get anything below 200hz.
Okay if we assume an infinite baffle then here are the options:

Driver Fs/Qts Power

FX120 70/0.45=155hz 30w
126E 70/0.25=280hz 45w
127E 70/0.43=163hz 45w
166E 50/0.21=238hz 65w
167E 51.5/0.3=172hz 65w
206E 39/0.18=216hz 90w
207E 39/0.26=150hz 90w
208ES 42/0.18=233hz 120w

So it looks like the winners are 127E, 167E and 207E.
Funnily enough the 167E is a good compromise between roll-off freq, power and cost. I would prefer the 207E due to the lower theoretical roll-off freq but it's too powerful for a surround speaker...Maybe will settle for the FE127E then

What's the budget?
The budget I think should be around max £100 per unit, basically enough for a driver and some wood for the baffle. I aim for a very simple L-shape "enclosure" i.e. baffle, base, screws and spikes.

Last edited:
Hi chatziva,
there is a lot of information about what you are looking for so the first thing to do is try the "search" facility and then enjoy reading what comes up. Follow all the link trails that you come across and search again, and again, with different words and terms. This way you will gradually refine what you are looking for.
Do this first and then ask questions.
Have fun.

I am familiar with the search functionality. I don't see the point of making non-comments if you think I've not done my research. Creating hostility doesn't help.
To me the point of a forum is to discuss and reposit information for everybody. Not just for me.

Something like that, simple stuff

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 614
If you want any of those, you should jump soon, as they are all discontinued.

dave

Why oh why all the good stuff gets discontinued...!

Indeed, they're difficult to source here in the uk.

Alternatively the Jordan JXR6HD rates well at 80/0.495=163hz.

But the Jordan JX92S is the best of the lot at: 45/0.40=112hz infinitive baffle roll off. But quite pricey.

I am tempted to go for the cheap and cheerful 127E.

i don't think the jordan 6hd will work if not sealed, same for MA A5...

by my humble experiments a single driver farfield with that baffle is not going to work, unless the sub will go really high but then still you will have problem blending them... with some woofers you can go down to 40hz zone, than blend a sealed sub for HT duty, if you want narrow take a look at gainphile staff (mainly in multiway forum)

jsut 2cents

Hello chatziva'
I have just noticed your reply to me about the post that I left for you.
Talk about a "hair trigger reaction"

There is no need to be like that is there!? What's the matter with you?

How can you possibly think that I am "creating hostility" by making the reply that I did?
Your thread opening question was phrased in such a way that led me to think that you had not used the search facility and thus my reply was not a "non-comment" as you called it but mearly an encouragement to use the facilities available.

I'm sorry that you took it the wrong way, it was meant with all good will.

Good luck with your project.

Hello chatziva'
I have just noticed your reply to me about the post that I left for you.
Talk about a "hair trigger reaction"

There is no need to be like that is there!? What's the matter with you?

How can you possibly think that I am "creating hostility" by making the reply that I did?
Your thread opening question was phrased in such a way that led me to think that you had not used the search facility and thus my reply was not a "non-comment" as you called it but mearly an encouragement to use the facilities available.

I'm sorry that you took it the wrong way, it was meant with all good will.

Good luck with your project.

My apologies for the overreaction. I took it the wrong way.

i don't think the jordan 6hd will work if not sealed, same for MA A5...

by my humble experiments a single driver farfield with that baffle is not going to work, unless the sub will go really high but then still you will have problem blending them... with some woofers you can go down to 40hz zone, than blend a sealed sub for HT duty, if you want narrow take a look at gainphile staff (mainly in multiway forum)

jsut 2cents

Thank you for your 2 cents.
I appreciate the baffle width concerns and I am prepared to compromise. After all the home cinema application is not super critical.

I will be tempted to use a driver that goes low enough. The FE127 or FE167 will start rolling off at 100hz so i guess it's not hopeless.

I had another idea: what if I used e.g. 2 drivers per speaker eg the HiVi B3S which is cheap and cheerful. Would it remedy the bass response issues?

cheers

Last edited:
um, 2 x b3s = 60in2 while a fostex 167e has a little more than double the cone area.
It (b3s) will sound blurry at lower volume levels than the 167e, even though the qts is more open baffle friendly.

I used 2 x 4" tang band bamboo and I used pennies to zero in the most highs at 12'. Slouch down and highs decreased. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are the only 1 listening.

I think the audio Nirvana 12" (super = $200 U.S. dollars, cast frame = $250).

I have a super 10 still in its box (qts =.41, not .2) but the response climbs past 1khz.
Audio Nirvana AN10 Super

sitting off axis can help. Les hudson on audioasylum.com ran this driver open baffle.
High Efficiency Speaker Asylum: Project Pics 10" Super Audio Nirvana/ Open Baffles by Les Hudson
Or you can add an inductor/resistor to lower the highs.

Norman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.