Will the Tangband W8-1772 work in a Sachiko double horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Higher Q, larger Vas, less BL, my uneducated guess would be not optimally, but i's wait for Professor Moose to weigh in (now teaching 2 University courses so the professor bit is official).

dave

These one of the pair from Duke?

Yes, these are one of Duke's pairs

Cabinet size is not a major issue, for once , as long as the foot print is reasonable and they can be tucked away near the corners

For this driver, I'm looking for something with more visual impact than a BIB. I still have my trusty fostex 166e in case the urge to build a BIB bites

Thanks again

If i remember correctly a BIB came in at around 80 tall by 14 wide by 20" deep. There is another back horn someone designed that's 52" by about the same width and depth so optimal cabinets for this driver will be large. Enjoy the speakers when you get them. I enjoy the 1808.

Godzilla

Zilla, how are you using your 1808's? I'm interested in this driver but other than a BIB don't know of any enclosure ideas for them. I've been hoping someone would remodel the curvy chang with them in mind. :)

Rick

I should have a used pair in the next week or so. Specs at Parts-Express.com:Tang Band W8-1772 8" Neodymium Full Range Driver | Tang Band W8-1772 8" Full Range Driver full range tb speakers neodymium driver line array point source midrange home theater computer speaker center channel set tube amplifier

Space is no longer an issue in my current place (12 ' x 20 ' feet opening up into a much larger space), nor are corners.

Thanks for any input.

I have a MathCad model of the Sachiko enclosure with the FE-206E which I used as a baseline. Substituting the Tangband W8-1772, assuming the T/S parameters are correct on the PE page, did not change the response very much. Based on these results I think it would work just as well as the Fostex driver in the Sachiko.

Looking at the published response for a variety of drivers in the Sachiko, I observe that the 207E (closer TS specs to the TB) and the 206E exhibit a very similar response.

So can I conclude that
1. Both these drivers (206, 207, TB 1772)work equally well in this horn
2. I'm not looking at the graphs the right way

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

let me know how well 1772 plays big drum beats in Sachiko - I don't like my Klipschorns - although they go loud on odaiko, the sound is indistinct and smeared, BK20 was poor also.

Will Do,
For starters, might attempt a prototype of Bill Woods K-slot horns too (much easier/faster build) http://gainclone.com/karlsonforum/index.php?topic=147.0

Have a bunch of audo projects lined up but the weather and work have been wretched over the past month or two.

Last edited:
Bill's Kslot oughta work fine - imagine AJ-horn would have it looking like other speakers in simulation. do you still have a K12"? I'm not fond of the slit vent but you might put a 1772 centered on an adapter board and give it a whirl - it might ramp up like BP sims but I'm not sure. BetsyK is natural for the 1st k12

I'm not sure what happens on music as that's comprised (or was) mainly of transients but the distributive slit vent exhibits very high velocities and will distort on sine-wave below tuning. That said, a slit-vent K12 is better imo on drum beats than BK20 w. 8" or reflex with Nirvana's 10. A good in-room 70Hz would be ok with me for some music - then that could be augmented with sub. I tuned a 15" bass reflex with 43-3/8" holes - lotsa sine distortion -on sine the vents output felt like a good fan, it may have sounded pretty good one some acoustic instrument tracks

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.