Alpair-10 with Alpair 5, German combo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
I just been sent some information about a new build project in Hobby Hi-Fi magazine published in Germany. I gather the article includes a full plan showing how to make this cabinet. Also, there's specs for the network and a full test set of results on this system.

I've made this thread in Full Range because its a DIY build project rather than stuff related to the newer drivers I'm currently doing. So I'll flag this project and leave it for the interest of the rest of the membership.

Maybe the forum's EU members can enlighten?

Here's the link the magazine site: HOBBY HiFi

Cheers

Mark.

(© Hobby Hi Fi is acknowledged)

Attachments

• Hobby-Hifi-2010-02-Cover.jpg
    Hobby-Hifi-2010-02-Cover.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 915
  • Hobby-Hifi-02-2010-1.jpg
    Hobby-Hifi-02-2010-1.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 885
Last edited:
the X-over is 2nd order at 300Hz. in addition a wealth of notches, impedance corection and the like to make the filter a nice beast :)

Berndt Timmermans is known for his exuberant filters, more than once he made a design where the filter outpriced the drivers.. but this filter is moderate (by his standards).

A few links of previous discussions on the same subject, plus how else to make curvy boxes without flexi-ply :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/144211-alpair-6-bass-reflex-bookshelf-2.html#post1949929
Impression of the Linhof AP5+10 combo at Mark Audio in HK.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...pair-6-bass-reflex-bookshelf-ap6-br-final.jpg
How else to make curvy enclosures.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mark...bass-alpair-5-woodwill-japan.html#post2058378
Crossover discussion for AP5+10

It is not worth translating the article in English, IMHO. (I do have a copy.)
We can do better ourselves.
(I don't like all these complicated notch filters.)

Or have a look at the 2 Japanese solutions (including one from Linhof that we listened to in HK).
I am sure Mark will give you more details if you contact him.

Patrick

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
yes, the designer usually goes a long way to achieve this.

At what cost?

just to show that this has nothing to do with being German: Spectrum Audio has a kit with the Alpair5 and the CSS SDX7 that only has 4 componennts in the crossover

A relief, I might have to pinch that as a starting point for a pssive XO on Tysen.

dave

ALPAIR 10 BASS + ALPAIR 5 FINISHED!!

Hi mark,

its been long time since i bought the 10 and 5 at ur place. after playing the 5 with HENKJAN's TL, last weekend i decided to make use of the 10 bass + 5.

i followed ur recommendation, 14L vol for the 10, and about 1-1.5L for the 5 in sealed on top side. the port is square with W 204 H 30 L 254mm.

the dimension is W 240 x H 330 x D 315, the materials used was
15mm plywood (9layers -- although its not baltic birch) for all sides except the side walls which is 18mm MDF melamined.

the passive im using now is 1st order series with L 1.0mH and cap 30 + 3.9 uf with 2.2ohm resistor on the 5, with the 5 wired inverted.

its very detailed presentation, somewhat 3d, but abit rise and peak on vocals and extreme highs.

the bass is incredibly fast, can take explosives scene on movies very well, but cannot go deep and low enough.

any suggestion for the bass?

cheers
henry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.