Full range as inexpensive nearfield studio monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Any opininions of using a full range driver as a low cost nearfield monitor for music production?

Been reading up on the Markaudio CHR70, and one of these looks like it could be good for a low/medium volume desktop/bookshelf monitor system, combined with a Lepai amp or similar to drive it... the lack of crossover I am guessing will keep the cost down while also preserving detail and coherence (respective to the pricepoint of the parts) as there is no crossover point to worry about.

Hi Zog666
Here's 2 projects done by guys here in Hong Kong.

1 - Mini-mons - black vinyl covered BR's made by Roger Young. He runs them with a sub. size is 170-mm wide X 180-mm high X 180-mm deep. I'll see if Roger has time to join up and comment.

2 - Tony's larger BR in re-constituted Oakwood. Size is 150-mm wide X 290-mm high X 190-mm deep. The wood is 20-mm thick. He's making these in his spare time.

Both are using the Gen.2 CHR-70's. Roger has just swopped from the first gen gold model to the new champagne CHR. So we're hoping to get some listening time over the Chinese New year in his apartment.

I think there's allot of guys on the forum who've used the CHR-70 in near-field and Desktop. It could be well worth doing a search on this forum.

Cheers

Mark.

Attachments

• Young_CHR-70.jpg
    Young_CHR-70.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 915
  • twong1chr70.jpg
    twong1chr70.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 888
I think there's allot of guys on the forum who've used the CHR-70 in near-field and Desktop. It could be well worth doing a search on this forum.

Hi, thanks for the feedback! Yes the small bass reflex you show looks ideal. I've already searched pretty extensively on the forum, but people mainly make reference to them for listening to music or multimedia (want stuff to sound good) rather than mixing/producing audio&music (want sonic deficiencies to be revealed).

That said my newer hobby of DIY audio building seems to have taken over from music production....

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Any opininions of using a full range driver as a low cost nearfield monitor for music production?

A very valid idea.

I have a film maker using a set of mFonken for his nearfield monitors.

I loaned a set of Fonken to a local radio station and they really liked them for that purpose. They were just afraid they were going to blow them up. Now i have the EL70eN in the "same" box (Mar-Kel70), and it would be even better for the purpose and much less likely to have the smoke released.

dave

I also agree that this is a very valid idea. If you don't have the money to spend on high end studio monitors then you can do very well by building your own. If I were to do this for myself, then extended-range single driver would be the first pair. Just make sure you tell your clients that they are "custom made"- not DIY.;)

Then also something cheap and not-so-nice to mimic what the majority of people listen to recordings with (a sad reality). I know a large commercial studio engineer who keeps a pair of NS10's for mastering: "If I can make it sound good on those, then it'll sound good on anything."

Hello..I'm also new here and asking some of these same questions so if I may, can I join this thread?..I'm looking at the Alpair 7.3 drivers in a Brines Acoustics A7 cabinet..This cabinet size works for me and the design doesn't seem too hard to " custom" build ( not DIY)..:D..Would like to use in a tracking/mix scenario..I mean c'mon, if people mixed on 4" Auratones for decades ( still do) the 7.3's in a good designed cabinet should work huh? (;))...Thanks..!

Hey
sure an alpair 7.3 will work
but i don't understand why so few people who build with full rangers here care about bsc!??
Especially important if you want to use the speaker as a monitor...

Imho the TB W4-1320 works great in a near field set up /as a monitor.

Regards

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey
sure an alpair 7.3 will work
but i don't understand why so few people who build with full rangers here care about bsc!??
Especially important if you want to use the speaker as a monitor...

Imho the TB W4-1320 works great in a near field set up /as a monitor.

Regards

I have a BSC on the Vifa DCR :)

It needs it otherwise sounds too bright when used on a desktop away from a wall.

405846d1394804713-viva-la-vifa-curvy-cabinet-dcr-tc9fd-bsc-photo.png

You could EQ it if driving from a computer.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.