Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bipolar MLTL CSS FR125SR
Bipolar MLTL CSS FR125SR
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2010, 04:51 PM   #1
schmeet is offline schmeet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Bipolar MLTL CSS FR125SR

Hi all,

I was thinking of building this design by Jim Griffin.
Not so sure that i want bi-polar though. Would there be any effects of having both drivers facing forward (centered around the original driver placement).

Logic tells me the resulting FR should be identical but thought i better ask first..

Cheers,
Pete

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...LDesignPak.pdf

Last edited by schmeet; 19th January 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 19th January 2010, 06:50 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeet View Post
Hi all,

I was thinking of building this design by Jim Griffin.
Not so sure that i want bi-polar though. Would there be any effects of having both drivers facing forward (centered around the original driver placement).

Logic tells me the resulting FR should be identical but thought i better ask first..

Cheers,
Pete

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...LDesignPak.pdf

well, I think the effects would be that you'd lose the advantages gained from the bipole configuration, and that the measurable FR would not be identical - although by how much you could reconcile those differences to would you actually hear in a real room could depend on a lot of factors, and HP filtering one (i.e. "1.5 way") at around the baffle step frequency as determined by the front panel width could probably help mitigate some of the problems associated with comb filtering

if it's floor space / WAF that is restricting your consideration of bipole, another interesting configuration might be to top fire one of the drivers as in the Planet10 "castle" microtower design in the document posted below - however with the open voice coil on the WR/FR125, dust etc could be a concern.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...aps-150909.pdf
Old 19th January 2010, 07:00 PM   #3
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Bipolar MLTL CSS FR125SR
Moving the drivers both to the front would mean that you need to add some BSC and you lose the imaging advantages of a single driver.

The one ithing i would do would be to rotate the box 90 degrees and mount the drivers on what are now the sides. This will reduce the bipole dip somewhat. Mounting the driver on the side at the same level would also work. Top mounting would not be recommended as it would screw up the designed in driver offset.

The sum of my experience with the FR125 is to recommend 4.5 -7 litre aperiodic box with these for best performance.

dave

Bipolar MLTL CSS FR125SRHide this!Advertise here!