New Open Baffle Concept

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah I remember that too when he was wondering why no one was paying any interest, seeings how he practically pulled off the impossible etc, or something along those lines... I guess I'm more a realist in thinking that it would be silly to make crazy marketing claims when you know you would be dealing with many that are in ''the know'', and it will just bring bad publicity your way.. I like the looks of them though :):cool:

Ah, SD's baffle idea has popped up again. I remember when that first appeared on his site, to the sound of overwhelming silence on his own forum, which didn't appear to please him greatly.

That was a time of uncomfortable silence on his forum anyway, even before this thing appeared. If you remember, there was great interest in diy ob design at that time, and there was a 100+ page diy ob thread at his site. But he had no ob products to sell. Also, a large percentage of the Decware forum members and customers were moving to Hawthorne Audio at that time, due to the much better priced products and friendlier atmosphere.

Decware responded by deleting (or at least temporarily hiding) the huge ob thread and starting to work on his own ob, which in the earlier stages was just a huge convoluted mess.

Around the same time, Steve started up audiophiletalk, which he blatantly admitted was an attempt to create a type of new audiocircle forum in which he controlled the advertising, a place where newcomers would not realize that it was actually a manufacturer's forum. In doing so, he destroyed the very spirit of the original forum and it never has, and never will recover. During this time, I guarantee he spent way more time on his website development (marketing) than on any other part of the business.

There's a lot of uncomfortable silence around Decware to this day, on both of the forums. That's what happens when all your decisions are based on money.

Last edited:
Yeah I remember that too when he was wondering why no one was paying any interest, seeings how he practically pulled off the impossible etc, or something along those lines... I guess I'm more a realist in thinking that it would be silly to make crazy marketing claims when you know you would be dealing with many that are in ''the know'', and it will just bring bad publicity your way.. I like the looks of them though :):cool:

In general, the type of people that buy those products won't question his claims or ever visit a diy forum. And people that know better won't attack him on his own forum, which frees him to make any claims he likes with little fear of reality ever catching up. By his own admission, less than 5 percent of his customers ever even visit the Decware forum.

He sells 2 versions of Imperial plans. The first is very similar to the original 1956 Jensen plans but with a bit of added bracing and a fully opened up inner chamber. The second version, which is only useful as a (probably very low sensitivity) sub, is harder to describe. It's a creative idea and worth a visit to his website for a look, but I personally wouldn't actually build them.

Upon first glance, this looks like a really, really neat idea. It's totally new to me and I like the concept. Then I read the four attached links. Uh oh. It's got unacceptably weak bass, then it doesn't. It can't possibly work with rock, then it's fine. Then an innexplicable statement (quote) "good recordings sound bad". But then this is back to being the best speaker he's ever heard.

What botherred me most is the assertion that any OB system comprised of a main (fullrange) and a helper woofer is hopelessly handicapped by two things- the enclosure and the crossover. Now that's nothing new to say that XOs suck or no box is the best box, but he then goes on to use...and I tried not to spit a mouthful of coffee onto my moniter while reading this...a box speaker and a crossover. This alone is not spit-takeable, but the fact that he's using a freakin' mic inside the unbox box to then be played through a box is baffling.

So, let's get this straight. In order to preserve sound quality, we can't use a helper woofer or a box because it messes with purity. So, he makes a (admittedly intriguing) box that is not a box. Then he uses a woofer in another box. Un effing believeable. More electronics in the chain? No problem. Box woofer? It's not a box. You see, right there behind the fullranger, yeah, that's not a box, and don't worry about the box that the helper woofer that was deemed unusable is sitting in. Outstandingly convoluted.

What have I learned? I've learned that unadulterated sound is the pinnacle of music reproduction. I've also learned that the definition of unadulterated is converting an electrical signal into sound pressure, gently coupling the sound to a (still fascinating) resonator, picking up the resulting tones with a microphone and converting them back into an electrical signal, running it through a crossover and an amplifier, and then coverting the electrical signal back into sound pressure. So simple, how could it not work? WTF?

Oh, as it turns out, this system actually doesn't need a helper woofer, so forget what was said about all of the live broadcast nonsense. This won't deter me from my coup de grace, though...the world's most perfect system. A fullranger on an OB, recorded by an expensive mic, and then played by another fullranger and sub in another house down the block just minutes later.

But I like the unbox...

What have you got to lose. If it were me and I was disappointed by the bass output, I would just tap the terminals at the back of the FR and stick a whole buch of those tactile transducer sound exciter things all over the unbox box. This isn't quite in the spirit of the microphone and external woofer setup, but I don't want to do anything that would make me look stupid.

You missed the boat. ;-)
Reread the articles and get the fact that the box in the ZOB will not be energized by the same energy as a ordinary box with a driver mounted into it.

Further more the broadcast system is a great idea IMO as you get a acoustic filter a preserve all the harmonics from the original signal.

I've have non Decware products but I'll try this concept and then give my opinion about it.

You missed the boat. ;-)
Reread the articles and get the fact that the box in the ZOB will not be energized by the same energy as a ordinary box with a driver mounted into it.

Obviously. This is an unordinary box and an unordinary driver that is unordinarily uncoupled to the unbox. But let's not just throw the "fact" word around too much when talking about anything to do with this setup.

Further more the broadcast system is a great idea IMO as you get a acoustic filter a preserve all the harmonics from the original signal.

And then rebroadcast through an ordinary woofer in an ordinary box, which the inventor says is no less than inhumane to unleash upon a law-abiding citizen's ears.

I've have non Decware products but I'll try this concept and then give my opinion about it.

I have half a mind to try it as well. It's not going to be easy trying to get good numbers off of that tiny drawing because I won't pay a dime for plans on something this wild (and yet, for a 9th time, interesting). I'm so conflicted. I need a mediator.

It has just occured to me that maybe my sarcasm doesn't translate very well. To clarify (if there is any need to), I read it carefully, and he's nuts, but the unbox is alluring. BTW, is everybody else comfortable with "unbox", cause I like it...

I tried to order the plans but it didn't work for me. Also tried to look at the support forum that he set up for the Zen Open Baffle, but it just says I'm not authorized to view that section, although I can see all the other Support Forums ??? Maybe it's just a glitch on my side or something although I can see the other stuff hmmm?

I can comment highly on his Taboo amp which I own, other than some small manufacturing errors it's a great sounding amp...
:)

I tried to order the plans but it didn't work for me. Also tried to look at the support forum that he set up for the Zen Open Baffle, but it just says I'm not authorized to view that section, although I can see all the other Support Forums ??? Maybe it's just a glitch on my side or something although I can see the other stuff hmmm?

I can comment highly on his Taboo amp which I own, other than some small manufacturing errors it's a great sounding amp...
You have to log in on the support forum to see the ZOB forum. Maybe a glitch... ;-)

I remember that Decware posted the redemption number in a mail by hand and not automatic then you buy it at the site but that can been changed.
I got the plans and wait for a little warmer weather before doing the sawdust thing. :D
Look forward to hear the ZOB compared to my better Emerald Physics CS2
clone (better compression driver and USBDACs & software crossover instead of the Behringer ...)

You have to log in on the support forum to see the ZOB forum. Maybe a glitch... ;-)

I'm not a member there anymore, but having to log on to see that one forum topic is a totally new thing there.. I have been able to see and access all the other forum topics all these years without logging on. This is the first time ever since I've been going to his site, that one particular forum has been given restricted access.. Just an observation is all.. :)

Also the ordering cart wouldn't let me make a purchase, kept saying I had missing info, but I had everything filled out properly.. Perhaps it's fixed now and was an just error with the system that day etc...

Last edited:
That is an amusing and insightful commentary.

At the same time, I am always amazed at what an acoustic
guitar can do.

I guess somebody will have to build it and take a listen.

:cool:

I'm almost (but not quite) embarassed by my negative commentary. Back when I was young and stupid (which I haven't been able to completely cure yet) his forum was my all time favorite audio hangout - until he ripped it apart. Then I came here and started actually learning about audio - so I guess I owe him thanks for inadvertently helping me to move on.

I was one of the first - if not THE first - to post on his forum that this idea was extremely creative and needed to be realized. BUT with a higher q driver, NOT the ridiculous broadcast system. Even as a beginner I could see that.

He's certainly a bright guy and by all accounts makes some very special amps but every time he opens his mouth he seems to stick his foot in it - usually in an attempt to romance your $$$ out of your pocket.

Last edited:

I guarantee you don't need plans if you are willing to experiment. I also guarantee you can make a superior speaker if you are willing to experiment a bit and use a more ob friendly driver.

All his amps are hand made - there shouldn't be any manufacturing errors at all.

Last edited:
I guarantee you don't need plans if you are willing to experiment. I also guarantee you can make a superior speaker if you are willing to experiment a bit and use a more ob friendly driver.

I certainly don't need another experimental project taking up space, but that won't stop me. It stands to reason that if he is getting enough sound output down low with such a low Q driver that it could only get better with a lower mass corner (is that the right statement in this case?). Dammit, I'll do it. Any suggestions where to start? Without any other ideas, I suppose an enclosure suited to generate reasonable bass if the speaker were in a standard arrangement is a good place to start looking. Someone earlier on said that there was another commercially available system that used this unbox principle. Any links?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.