Audio Nirvana Super 8 in 5.6 cu. ft. Cabinet by David Dicks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Er, no offense, but you can't make any kind of assessment of a speaker's performance whatsoever like that, other than it appears (probably) to be producing noise.

Come on: it's an unknown driver, in an unknown cabinet, in an unknown room, with an unknown system, playing an unknown recording. The microphone employed is an unknown quantity (i.e. quality is unknown, and 99.99999999999% of the population will not be familiar with its particular characteristics), as is the rest of the recording gear involved (the same applying to each and every piece). This has then been filtered, compressed & otherwise buggered about with by unknown computer equipment of unknown quality, using unknown software by an unknown person, before being presented as a low-quality video on Youtube. This is then attempted to be reproduced by your own computer chain, of variable quality, with it's own DAC, amplification, and speakers / headphone's characters overlaid on it.

I'm genuinely delighted you're happy with your speakers, but I don't think the rest of us are going to be able to provide you with any meaningful comments on the sound. ;)

England is right all the line, but finding videos on youtube is also encouraging thing to people approcing diy... until you do it the first time you won't believe it's possible, a box making noise really is a magic box.

Glad to see you've done them at the end, i thought you where going with the 2.8 model... these are quite big, aren't they??

do you care to spend some words of comparison with the spiral-horn you were loving before? not only about the bass, but also the rest of the spectrum... are you still using equalization from the amplifier?

reagarding bass performnce, here is a quick handy way you can tell us how it is behaving realtively to say the 1khz tone
Equal loudness contours and audiometry - Test your own hearing

best thing about those boxes is you can think to upgrade to the 12" model one day and the even add a supertweeter and end up with a very satyisfing system...

i recall that when using the super 8" i used to listen to them crossed somewhere in front of my nose... i think the way you have them you'll be missing many details that those drivers can retrive, maybe a bsc filter would help anyway, altought you have such a large baffle and they are close to the wall, the super8" have very rising energy from 1khz on...

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Try to buy the CD Primus "Pork Soda" and play the track My name is Mud so that you can compare what you heard in the video. The video is not giving the true sound in actual listening session. So, I understand if you haven't heard what I experienced in testing them. I have some friends with me who owns a Dynaudio Evidence who can't believe that the AN Super 8 in this 5.6 cabinet performed well reproducing almost same sound like his speakers using Primus Pork Soda album.

You are correct that it is very hard to assess the performance through this video. Especially, if we are using poor quality headphones or computer speakers. :)

England is right all the line, but finding videos on youtube is also encouraging thing to people approcing diy... until you do it the first time you won't believe it's possible, a box making noise really is a magic box.

Glad to see you've done them at the end, i thought you where going with the 2.8 model... these are quite big, aren't they??

do you care to spend some words of comparison with the spiral-horn you were loving before? not only about the bass, but also the rest of the spectrum... are you still using equalization from the amplifier?

reagarding bass performnce, here is a quick handy way you can tell us how it is behaving realtively to say the 1khz tone
Equal loudness contours and audiometry - Test your own hearing

best thing about those boxes is you can think to upgrade to the 12" model one day and the even add a supertweeter and end up with a very satyisfing system...

i recall that when using the super 8" i used to listen to them crossed somewhere in front of my nose... i think the way you have them you'll be missing many details that those drivers can retrive, maybe a bsc filter would help anyway, altought you have such a large baffle and they are close to the wall, the super8" have very rising energy from 1khz on...

Hello. I don't use any filters on speakers..or any special equalization. I am sorry, if I am a little bit different. I grew up listening to live band jazz, blues and most of all rock and roll. So, I know how the instruments sounds like. That's my reference in assessing an audio system. I assess the audio system via live and recording performance. I know how it sounds like in recording studio and I know the difference in live performance.

In my own head shell and enough experience in audio, I would say that the Audio Nirvana is transparent to my ears. My ears are my best instrument to assess a system. I invited selected people who have same experience like mine. Most of them are band members.

Thanks for the comment.:)

Nice cabinet, 5.6 cu.ft is 157 litres, a big box. Looks it is a dry box, through the port it is seen that the box has stuffing in the bottom.
A dry box do not have a soft mid or hi.

There's no stuffing at the bottom (only dust from dried mud of the flood). David only require stuffing on the upper half area only for 5.6 (Top, Side, and Rear) with acoustic foam. I only use 1 inch thickness. The mid is soft as per recording. If I use the Album of Jacintha or Marta Gomez, it has soft mid. So it depends on the cd disc that I play. Also, warm mid is what I prefer. It has life. I've experienced listening in a recording studio and watching live performance of various bands. They are warm and not soft all the time.

So the 5.6 cu.ft. speaker cabinet is not a dry box but a live box that really sing. We have different kinds of experiences that affects our perception to what sound or music sounds like. So, I respect each other opinions on this forum. We came from different walks of life.:)

Er, no offense, but you can't make any kind of assessment of a speaker's performance whatsoever like that, other than it appears (probably) to be producing noise.

Come on: it's an unknown driver, in an unknown cabinet, in an unknown room, with an unknown system, playing an unknown recording. The microphone employed is an unknown quantity (i.e. quality is unknown, and 99.99999999999% of the population will not be familiar with its particular characteristics), as is the rest of the recording gear involved (the same applying to each and every piece). This has then been filtered, compressed & otherwise buggered about with by unknown computer equipment of unknown quality, using unknown software by an unknown person, before being presented as a low-quality video on Youtube. This is then attempted to be reproduced by your own computer chain, of variable quality, with it's own DAC, amplification, and speakers / headphone's characters overlaid on it.

I'm genuinely delighted you're happy with your speakers, but I don't think the rest of us are going to be able to provide you with any meaningful comments on the sound. ;)

It's alright. Not a problem. I am only here to share. You are experienced in technical aspects in audio. Me, I only experienced listening to live and studio recording performances. So, my experiences is my reference on what music sounds like, or if the system reproduction is faithful to the original recording.

Thanks for you comment.:)

There's no stuffing at the bottom (only dust from dried mud of the flood). David only require stuffing on the upper half area only for 5.6 (Top, Side, and Rear) with acoustic foam. I only use 1 inch thickness. The mid is soft as per recording. If I use the Album of Jacintha or Marta Gomez, it has soft mid. So it depends on the cd disc that I play. Also, warm mid is what I prefer. It has life. I've experienced listening in a recording studio and watching live performance of various bands. They are warm and not soft all the time.

So the 5.6 cu.ft. speaker cabinet is not a dry box but a live box that really sing. We have different kinds of experiences that affects our perception to what sound or music sounds like. So, I respect each other opinions on this forum. We came from different walks of life.:)
Sorry about the food!! Thanks for the stuffing info.
Regards

It's alright. Not a problem. I am only here to share. You are experienced in technical aspects in audio. Me, I only experienced listening to live and studio recording performances. So, my experiences is my reference on what music sounds like, or if the system reproduction is faithful to the original recording.

Thanks for you comment.:)

I must agree with you, Monreq! I have a pair of super 8 cast frames in a 1,5 cubic feet monitor boxes. They are so ugly, but the sound they throw at me is astonishing. Best part is sound keeps improving after a well 100 hours, especially bass. For comparison, my previous speakers been: a pair of DIY seas excel/magnesium, canton vento 809 and XTZ 99.26. But these babies always puts a smile on my face....everyday! So sorry that they dont have higher WAF.....she will not let them enter the livingroom. Greeting from Sweden!!

Way to bust his bubble, moose.:headshot:

Oh, (edit) I put the ANS8 in a .6 cu/ft cab with the right port (3inch by 3/4) and I got too much midbass *yuck*

Perhaps it was because I am used to my open baffle, which is around 6db shy from around 80-200. Idk, I just like it that way.

Last edited:
was not you that had them in the spiral-horns? if not, sorry for mismatching.

Yes it was me my friend. I decided to follow David for the first time and follow every details that he told me. But, he thought I was going to use AN Super 12 for 5.6. But since the budget was short due to the flood, I decided to use the AN Super 8 at my own risk. I did not expect that he can pump the 5.6 cu.ft. bass reflex design of David. 9'oclock on volume control can rock a medium size room of about 7ft x 14 ft.size.:)

Way to bust his bubble, moose.:headshot:

Oh, (edit) I put the ANS8 in a .6 cu/ft cab with the right port (3inch by 3/4) and I got too much midbass *yuck*

Perhaps it was because I am used to my open baffle, which is around 6db shy from around 80-200. Idk, I just like it that way.
That is why I follow David's detailed advice on this matter. He knows how his product sounds like in his own box design. The only problem was, I did not follow him to use AN Super 12. My experiment is successful for me to use AN Super 8 for this 5.6 cu.ft. with 6 port hole with no tube. Next time, I will combine the 2.8 width only and the rest i'll take 5.6 height driver and port location and size and even the depth.

Thanks for the comment.:)

i'm just curious to know if you found a difference in the mid/highs region comparing to the spiral-horns, there is not much comments about those designs, so it's interesting... and no i cannot tell the difference by hearing the videos trought my cheap grado earphones...

if you are going to stay on the size and drivers, consider going OB, i liked my super 8" just much more that way.

i'm just curious to know if you found a difference in the mid/highs region comparing to the spiral-horns, there is not much comments about those designs, so it's interesting... and no i cannot tell the difference by hearing the videos trought my cheap grado earphones...

if you are going to stay on the size and drivers, consider going OB, i liked my super 8" just much more that way.
The spiral horns mid is a little bit compress compared to 5.6 mid. The cymbals in 5.6 is more natural sounding... the Primus album Pork Soda cannot give a soft mid. Remember, it's rock and roll and I think it is not good to hear rock and roll with soft mid. Soft mid is like losing some decay or rawness in rock and roll or heavy metal music. However, when I played Jacintha or Marta Gomez, Billie Holdiay, the mid is a mixture of warm and soft characteristics...very natural sounding especially when tested with tube amp.

OB is a good choice. However, I like my drivers to perform with good natural solid bass which I had in the 5.6 cabinet. As you can see, the 6 inches port hole of the 5.6 is lower than the port hole of 2.8. The 2.8 is focus more on midbass. 5.6 is balance and dynamic.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.