Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

JX92S - cabinet damping affecting midrange?
JX92S - cabinet damping affecting midrange?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2009, 11:51 AM   #1
AntM is offline AntM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default JX92S - cabinet damping affecting midrange?

I wonder if anyone has experience on the effect of cabinet damping on midrange performance?
I'm nearing the completion of a small JX92S design http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...or-design.html

I auditioned an initial prototype which was filled with lambswool, then later I added damping panels (bitumen+acoustic foam) to the walls, plus made a few other minor mods (e.g properly glueing the font and back panels to stiffen the cabinet and reduce leakage).

Following the changes, I noticed that the midrange seems a bit recessed and lacking in power- it is particularly noticeable on vocals.

Is it possible that the damping panels have affected the midrange? Or is it more likely that the poorly damped and sealed prototype was adding some midrange colouration?

So far I have not added baffle-step compensation.

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated. It is very interesting how relatively minor changes to the box design can affect performance.
  Reply to this post

JX92S - cabinet damping affecting midrange?Hide this!Advertise here!