Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Yamamoto YS-500
Yamamoto YS-500
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Ipanema is offline Ipanema  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default Yamamoto YS-500

6moons audio reviews: Yamamoto SoundCraft YS-500

Is this doable? The drivers are common variety but the horn is exotic. Anyone?

Regards.
Old 22nd November 2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

When you say 'do-able', in what way? As in a diy version? Sure, if you feel so inclined. The review states what the drivers are, & you can make a fairly accurate stab at the dimensions from the pictures etc. One of Fostex's wood horns Driver / Horn : Wood Radial Horn - Speaker Components should make a reasonable substitute for the original if you didn't feel inclined to design & make / mould one yourself.

As for how good it is, can't really comment, other than that I suspect the LF might not be especially linear -just a guess, I haven't time to stick something resembling it through MathCAD at present.
Old 22nd November 2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

I like the idea of this speaker and think it's very DIY. Honestly it really is a pro sound speaker that you'd find in a DJ setup but it's crossed over for sound quality rather than power handling with the 6db slope on the tweeter.

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/290-595s.pdf

Woofer response seems pretty controlled on top but seems to really want a ported or even a sealed box rather than OB... near corners it may plump up the bass but positioning will require fiddling. I'd partner this woofer with the econowave tweeter we've read so much and forget the (very beautiful) wooden horn.

Godzilla
Old 22nd November 2009, 08:46 PM   #4
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Yes , godzilla , it's true. But ... this speaker IS the wooden horn , together with the beautiful veneering , the bar beside the woofer...it is also the binding posts on the upper side of the box ,the spikes on the bottom...
And as Scottmoose said , the non linear response in LF could be corrected with a Linkwitz Trasform , even if that wouldn't be much "purist", which I think is the idea of the project itself.
Old 23rd November 2009, 01:51 AM   #5
FullRangeMan is offline FullRangeMan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Wonder why they do not have used the ALPHA15A with a QTS=1,26 ?? the Delta QTS is low.
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Ipanema is offline Ipanema  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

How about beaming for 15inch cross at 1.2kHz?
Old 23rd November 2009, 02:19 PM   #7
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

>>> How about beaming for 15inch cross at 1.2kHz?

It's not perfect, nothing is. Once positioned properly the sweet spot should be a nice place to be. Having used a 15" Alpha i can't imagine the Delta or any other 15" driver would be any good at midrange but who knows? The designer brings that tweeter in as low as it can go using the 6db slope. Probably for the price a larger 2" compression horn might do a better job crossed under 1000khz. Seems like an interesting speaker but it will have a character like many other 'hi end' products.

Godzilla
Old 24th March 2014, 10:39 PM   #8
SebastienL is offline SebastienL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone,

I've been considering recently the option of doing this speaker in DIY. Finally, as anyone complete the project?

Plus, I was wondering why the specs on Yamamoto's website tell a frequencies response at 35 Hz (at minus how many dB?) but the Eminence 2515 Neo woofers are state on Eminence website to have a frequency resonance et 42 Hz and a usable range from 54 Hz to 3.7 kHz. Why this 35 Hz?

Thanks for your help,

Sébastien
Old 25th March 2014, 07:19 AM   #9
cradeldorf is offline cradeldorf  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
>>> How about beaming for 15inch cross at 1.2kHz?

It's not perfect, nothing is. Once positioned properly the sweet spot should be a nice place to be. Having used a 15" Alpha i can't imagine the Delta or any other 15" driver would be any good at midrange but who knows? The designer brings that tweeter in as low as it can go using the 6db slope. Probably for the price a larger 2" compression horn might do a better job crossed under 1000khz. Seems like an interesting speaker but it will have a character like many other 'hi end' products.

Godzilla
I tried some Delta's for mid range....It wasn't pretty. :/
Old 25th March 2014, 11:17 AM   #10
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Yamamoto YS-500
I think a speaker with a 15 in pro audio woofer and a horn tweeter can sound very good and in fact, there are non OB DIY versions that also measure very well and are highly regarded. An example is the "Cheap Thrill" series by Bill Waslo in the diysoundgroup.com. With use of the plastic SEOS waveguide, the performance would probably be better than a handmade cherry wood horn, albeit not as beautiful. I don't know how much bass you can get out of a lower Qts driver in an OB without lots of EQ'ing.
Karma-15 - Waveguide Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

It would probably be interesting to redesign the Cheap Thrill to an open back cabinet with a higher Qts driver and appropriate crossover.

Why is this in the full range forum?

Yamamoto YS-500Hide this!Advertise here!