Yamamoto YS-500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When you say 'do-able', in what way? As in a diy version? Sure, if you feel so inclined. The review states what the drivers are, & you can make a fairly accurate stab at the dimensions from the pictures etc. One of Fostex's wood horns Driver / Horn : Wood Radial Horn - Speaker Components should make a reasonable substitute for the original if you didn't feel inclined to design & make / mould one yourself.

As for how good it is, can't really comment, other than that I suspect the LF might not be especially linear -just a guess, I haven't time to stick something resembling it through MathCAD at present.

I like the idea of this speaker and think it's very DIY. Honestly it really is a pro sound speaker that you'd find in a DJ setup but it's crossed over for sound quality rather than power handling with the 6db slope on the tweeter.

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/290-595s.pdf

Woofer response seems pretty controlled on top but seems to really want a ported or even a sealed box rather than OB... near corners it may plump up the bass but positioning will require fiddling. I'd partner this woofer with the econowave tweeter we've read so much and forget the (very beautiful) wooden horn.

Godzilla

Yes , godzilla , it's true. But ... this speaker IS the wooden horn , together with the beautiful veneering , the bar beside the woofer...it is also the binding posts on the upper side of the box ,the spikes on the bottom...
And as Scottmoose said , the non linear response in LF could be corrected with a Linkwitz Trasform , even if that wouldn't be much "purist", which I think is the idea of the project itself.

>>> How about beaming for 15inch cross at 1.2kHz?

It's not perfect, nothing is. Once positioned properly the sweet spot should be a nice place to be. Having used a 15" Alpha i can't imagine the Delta or any other 15" driver would be any good at midrange but who knows? The designer brings that tweeter in as low as it can go using the 6db slope. Probably for the price a larger 2" compression horn might do a better job crossed under 1000khz. Seems like an interesting speaker but it will have a character like many other 'hi end' products.

Godzilla

Hi everyone,

I've been considering recently the option of doing this speaker in DIY. Finally, as anyone complete the project?

Plus, I was wondering why the specs on Yamamoto's website tell a frequencies response at 35 Hz (at minus how many dB?) but the Eminence 2515 Neo woofers are state on Eminence website to have a frequency resonance et 42 Hz and a usable range from 54 Hz to 3.7 kHz. Why this 35 Hz?

Thanks for your help,

Sébastien

>>> How about beaming for 15inch cross at 1.2kHz?

It's not perfect, nothing is. Once positioned properly the sweet spot should be a nice place to be. Having used a 15" Alpha i can't imagine the Delta or any other 15" driver would be any good at midrange but who knows? The designer brings that tweeter in as low as it can go using the 6db slope. Probably for the price a larger 2" compression horn might do a better job crossed under 1000khz. Seems like an interesting speaker but it will have a character like many other 'hi end' products.

Godzilla
I tried some Delta's for mid range....It wasn't pretty. :/

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think a speaker with a 15 in pro audio woofer and a horn tweeter can sound very good and in fact, there are non OB DIY versions that also measure very well and are highly regarded. An example is the "Cheap Thrill" series by Bill Waslo in the diysoundgroup.com. With use of the plastic SEOS waveguide, the performance would probably be better than a handmade cherry wood horn, albeit not as beautiful. I don't know how much bass you can get out of a lower Qts driver in an OB without lots of EQ'ing.
Karma-15 - Waveguide Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

It would probably be interesting to redesign the Cheap Thrill to an open back cabinet with a higher Qts driver and appropriate crossover.

Why is this in the full range forum?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cheap Thrill was about 98 to 100 dB sensitivity IIRC - but woofer is no longer available. A newer variant by Jeff Bagby with a 12 in driver in BR box that is in production still achieves 95 dB and is highly rated is here:
Fusion-12 Tempest - Waveguide Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

Flat response from 36 Hz to 20 kHz (-3 dB) $400 ea total cost with cabinet.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is a sealed version with 15 in woofer and very nice response for a little more money.
Fusion-15 Sentinel - Waveguide Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• First Sound.JPG
    First Sound.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 592
  • on the move.JPG
    on the move.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yesterday I bought a pair of clones of this speaker - for a steal price.
attachment.php

I do not know the exact type of horn, but the driver and bass speaker are the same and it also uses 1st order crossover. I have had a chance to listen to them for some 20 minutes only, but I must say the sound is really nice. When installed in their place, I will try some measurements and maybe post some more details if anyone is interested.

One things is, they are really huge speakers:) And therefore I need to re-do furniture arrangement in the listening room first.

Attachments

• YamamotoClone.jpg
    YamamotoClone.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 1,140
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I put the speakers into their position. They are more or less in corners of the room, which may not be ideal. I think the sound would be further improved using active crossover and 4-ch amplification. I also suspect that the internal DAC of my small Denon receiver is not too good. The music sounds more detailed from my laptop's sound card. I did not realize this until I connected the huge high sensitivity speakers to it.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
One of my future projects will be adding the RCF H6000 horn on top of the cabinet and turn it into a 3 way...and eventually into a 3 way compact PA box.

Even thought the box measures really flat, it is kind of laid back and I suspect is is the low order crossover and the crossover point - 2500 kHz feels too high for a 15" mid bass.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.