Low budget FR build for a cheap micro shelf stereo. 5wrms, what driver to go with?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I never really considered a full range build before, but recently I just picked up a cheap Philips MCM166 shelf stereo to use as a bedroom alarm clock and maybe for some light listening. The stock speakers are just terrible to listen to and sound hollow. I dont want to put too much money into this, since this isnt my main system, but I would like to atleast make it bearable to listen to. The shelf stereo only puts out 5wrms into a 4 ohm load, so that's why Im considering a high efficiency full range build in a small compact enclosure.

Firstly, Im just wondering if you guys could recommend some drivers (<$100) to consider, and most importantly, where I can source them here in Canada? Or if anyone has any for sale for cheap, feel free to shoot me a PM. Im mostly interested in building a small compact bookshelf speaker, but for better bass extension I wouldnt mind a small, slim tower build as well. I checked out some Fostex FE103 (or the equivalent Radio Shack 40-1197) designs, and the most appealing one to me right now is the standard manufacturer recommended back horn loaded enclosure tuned to 50hz. Too bad I cant seem to find anywhere to source this driver cheap.

Does anyone have opinions, comments? Has anyone built a set of FR speakers to use with a cheap source such as mine, and if it was even worth it?

Yes..no

No , it isn't worth . Keep in mind that speakers and enclosures are the most important pieces of the audio chain , even if anyone can put it at number two after the source quality , or after amplifier quality . Of course if you know that it is cheap , it won't pay you in listening pleasure anyhow . Because an amplifier delivers 5 W to a speaker , it doesn't mean that they're "good watts" .Usual listening level in a room doesn't exceed 1-2 W , and those can be achieved by using 5 W amplifiers feeding 100 W speakers ...well , depends ...fullrangers don't require filters to separate frequencies and are an easy load , multi way speakers will suck out all the energy and degrade the sound.
My long and fatiguing excursus ...at the end I think that you may try !
Check for projects including horns , TQWL , using cheap Tang Band , Visaton ,Fostex ,also a link to nice cabinet projects I discovered yesterday from another thread.
http://homepage1.nifty.com/takabou/fe108e_backroad.html"]No , it isn't worth . Keep in mind that speakers and enclosures are the most important pieces of the audio chain , even if anyone can put it at number two after the source quality , or after amplifier quality . Of course if you know that it is cheap , it won't pay you in listening pleasure anyhow . Because an amplifier delivers 5 W to a speaker , it doesn't mean that they're "good watts" .Usual listening level in a room doesn't exceed 1-2 W , and those can be achieved by using 5 W amplifiers feeding 100 W speakers ...well , depends ...fullrangers don't require filters to separate frequencies and are an easy load , multi way speakers will suck out all the energy and degrade the sound. My long and fatiguing excursus ...at the end I think that you may try ! Check for projects including horns , TQWL , using cheap Tang Band , Visaton ,Fostex ,also a link to nice cabinet projects I discovered yesterday from another thread.http://homepage1.nifty.com/takabou/fe108e_backroad.html[/URL]

Look for visaton - they do a lot of stuff around the 3-4" mark, less than £20 each. If you can get hold of them, the FRS8M is good - 88dB efficiency means there's enough to go to normal listening levels. The mids and highs are very nice (takes a couple of days to bed in), but the bass isn't as good.

Two of those in parallel (they're 8ohm) would give 94dB/1W/1M, with a nice sound and a decent amount of efficiency.

HTH
Chris

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe my initial proposed budget of $100 is even too high, definitely dont think it's worth it. But I did hook up a higher end set of Jamos to the stereo and they sounded somewhat decent, so I figure there might be some merit in pursuing this project.

Could you clarify what you mean by the Fostex recommended horn not that great? My main interest with this enclosure is that the equivalent Radio Shack 40-1197 can be found fairly cheap and the bass response for such a small driver is decent enough.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you want tall, slim & to use 1197, i'd suggest BD-Pipes.

Noob, you are in the lower mainland? (from your IP # and a guess on decrypting telus server locations, i'd put you near Abbotsford). I have a set of BDPipes up & running that i'd be willing to sell for not much $$$ (and if you are where i think you are, and can wait a month or so, deliver them)

dave

Perhaps it's just me, and it often is, while I found the bass from the (unaltered) EL70 to be almost staggering, (read: went looking for the woofer that didn't exist) I found the mids not just right for my ears. I think I would have liked a little notch filter on it. On the other hand, the FF85 that planet10 brought over on his last trip was more in line with my tastes albeit with less low end.

Too each his own.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
On the other hand, the FF85 that planet10 brought over on his last trip was more in line with my tastes albeit with less low end.

The FF85KeN is my favorite... i just came up with a milliSize box for a uFonken^2 (2xFF85KeN). You (and the double EL70s Bob & Jim did) got me headed in that direction. Hopefully i'll be able to bring them along late Nov/early Dec when we make the trek to Abbotsford for the xmas visit.

You. i'm sure, have suitable 12s or 15s to fill out the bottom.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.