Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Highly rated 4"
Highly rated 4"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2009, 03:14 PM   #1
jmar is offline jmar  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Highly rated 4"

It may seem like a vague question but what are some popular model numbers to look at for 4" full range speakers under 50.00 ea?

Certainly the Fostex 127 is on the list from what I read and it can go into a sealed enclosure if I remember right.

I have a subwoofer, don't listen at very loud volume levels and wanted to build (my first) simple full range system.

I've put these drivers in near field cubes before and I must admit they sound damn good.

I do prefer a sealed enclosure sound but I'm not set on it and I realize that most designs are vented for these speakers -- but like I say I have a sub and don't crank it.

Don't want to do an exotic enclosure for starters just something that will be a first step at listening to full range -- so any recommended projects are certainly appreciated as well.

THANKS
Old 21st October 2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

I also like TB drivers a lot. Below are some that people have used and enjoyed.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-848
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-828
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-847

I have the bamboo driver and a buddy built speakers using the 3" Titanium TB which i thought sounded very good too.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/tb-1320-bamboo.htm

I also have the Fostex 127e and like it a lot but to me it sounds better in a ported box. I think the TBs sound better in smaller sealed boxes personally but the TBs have less 'life' than the Fostex.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/fostex-127e-slotted-box.htm

Godzilla

Last edited by Godzilla; 21st October 2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: urls don't appear correct on first posting
Old 21st October 2009, 04:37 PM   #3
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Highly rated 4"
It is hard to go lower than ~150 Hz in a sealed box with the FE127e.

Other drivers to consider in this size are the Mark Audio CHR-70 (works well sealed), and the CSS/Marl Audio EL70.

My favorite is still the FE127e with full mods.

dave
Old 21st October 2009, 05:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Where do you buy the CHR70? Went to the website but didn't show any distributor.

Also, what is the consensus on the FE127e sealed bipole project that I've seen?
Old 21st October 2009, 06:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I had another question --

Why is it in most of these fullrange designs, you only see one speaker?

I know that's probably partly because "that's the thrill of it" -- getting the biggest and best sound from just one driver, (like a ham running low power) but why not a pair of drivers?

(2) 4 " mounted as closely as possible to one another on the front baffle?

Or Full range Line arrays?
Old 21st October 2009, 06:16 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Highly rated 4"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar View Post
Where do you buy the CHR70? Went to the website but didn't show any distributor.

Also, what is the consensus on the FE127e sealed bipole project that I've seen?
In North America CHR70 is available from Bob at Creative Sound Solutions

A modified/enhanced CHR70eN is available from me.

The FE127e sealed bipole really requires a woofer (or 2)

dave
Old 21st October 2009, 06:25 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Highly rated 4"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar View Post
I had another question --

Why is it in most of these fullrange designs, you only see one speaker?

I know that's probably partly because "that's the thrill of it" -- getting the biggest and best sound from just one driver, (like a ham running low power) but why not a pair of drivers?
There are quite a few new dual driver designs for the CHR70 & the EL70... some of these still have not been released yet. A good example of what has been released is the Lake District Series, the microTowers, some Woden ML-TLs, and Jim Griffin's offset bipole

Anytime you put 2 FR drivers together on the front there are worries about comb-filtering of the high frequencies. Recent experiments show that this is mostly a non-issue and we can expect to see more small FR dual driver designs down the pipe.

A FR line array will have more issues in that respect, a good paper has been written by Jim Griffin.

dave
Old 21st October 2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Highef is offline Highef
diyAudio Member

I use also a subwoofer and fullrange speakers.
I'm building a Fonken with a pair of FE127e. I decided do it ported to guarantee that I have a response as linear as possible down to mid-low range (even if you cut the main speaker using a crossover) so it would integrate easier with the the sub.
Depending of your musical taste you will miss these mid-lows.

regards
Highef
Old 21st October 2009, 07:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Damn -- so much to consider. I can't believe the effort put into these enclosures. Don't you think the bracing with all the hole cutouts is a bit crazy? Why not something simpler?

Oh well -- I'll probably end up like everyone else and start building dozens of systems for the sake of comparison.

I've always appreciated a "fuller" sound field with a bit of reflected audio so the bipoles really interest me. I don't like that clinical "I'm listening to speakers" approach.

Give me the best fidelity with just a touch of sloppiness thrown in the mix.
Old 21st October 2009, 08:49 PM   #10
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

>>> Give me the best fidelity with just a touch of sloppiness thrown in the mix.

I liked my women that way when i was in college.

All the choices above should produce very good sound. Build what you are capable of and enjoy.

Godzilla

Highly rated 4"Hide this!Advertise here!