Highly rated 4"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It may seem like a vague question but what are some popular model numbers to look at for 4" full range speakers under 50.00 ea?

Certainly the Fostex 127 is on the list from what I read and it can go into a sealed enclosure if I remember right.

I have a subwoofer, don't listen at very loud volume levels and wanted to build (my first) simple full range system.

I've put these drivers in near field cubes before and I must admit they sound damn good.

I do prefer a sealed enclosure sound but I'm not set on it and I realize that most designs are vented for these speakers -- but like I say I have a sub and don't crank it.

Don't want to do an exotic enclosure for starters just something that will be a first step at listening to full range -- so any recommended projects are certainly appreciated as well.

THANKS

I also like TB drivers a lot. Below are some that people have used and enjoyed.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-848
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-828
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-847

I have the bamboo driver and a buddy built speakers using the 3" Titanium TB which i thought sounded very good too.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/tb-1320-bamboo.htm

I also have the Fostex 127e and like it a lot but to me it sounds better in a ported box. I think the TBs sound better in smaller sealed boxes personally but the TBs have less 'life' than the Fostex.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/fostex-127e-slotted-box.htm

Godzilla

Last edited:
I had another question --

Why is it in most of these fullrange designs, you only see one speaker?

I know that's probably partly because "that's the thrill of it" -- getting the biggest and best sound from just one driver, (like a ham running low power) but why not a pair of drivers?

(2) 4 " mounted as closely as possible to one another on the front baffle?

Or Full range Line arrays?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Where do you buy the CHR70? Went to the website but didn't show any distributor.

Also, what is the consensus on the FE127e sealed bipole project that I've seen?

In North America CHR70 is available from Bob at Creative Sound Solutions

A modified/enhanced CHR70eN is available from me.

The FE127e sealed bipole really requires a woofer (or 2)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I had another question --

Why is it in most of these fullrange designs, you only see one speaker?

I know that's probably partly because "that's the thrill of it" -- getting the biggest and best sound from just one driver, (like a ham running low power) but why not a pair of drivers?

There are quite a few new dual driver designs for the CHR70 & the EL70... some of these still have not been released yet. A good example of what has been released is the Lake District Series, the microTowers, some Woden ML-TLs, and Jim Griffin's offset bipole

Anytime you put 2 FR drivers together on the front there are worries about comb-filtering of the high frequencies. Recent experiments show that this is mostly a non-issue and we can expect to see more small FR dual driver designs down the pipe.

A FR line array will have more issues in that respect, a good paper has been written by Jim Griffin.

dave

I use also a subwoofer and fullrange speakers.
I'm building a Fonken with a pair of FE127e. I decided do it ported to guarantee that I have a response as linear as possible down to mid-low range (even if you cut the main speaker using a crossover) so it would integrate easier with the the sub.
Depending of your musical taste you will miss these mid-lows.

regards
Highef

Damn -- so much to consider. I can't believe the effort put into these enclosures. Don't you think the bracing with all the hole cutouts is a bit crazy? Why not something simpler?

Oh well -- I'll probably end up like everyone else and start building dozens of systems for the sake of comparison.

I've always appreciated a "fuller" sound field with a bit of reflected audio so the bipoles really interest me. I don't like that clinical "I'm listening to speakers" approach.

Give me the best fidelity with just a touch of sloppiness thrown in the mix.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I can't believe the effort put into these enclosures. Don't you think the bracing with all the hole cutouts is a bit crazy? Why not something simpler?

Not at all...it took a long time and evolution to come up with effective bracing that is as simple as in these boxes.

The really good drivers are capable of allowing you to hear the difference in the downward dynamic range.

The holes don't need to be circlular, you just need to make 30-40% open. As well as acting as a box & a driver brace, these also help break up side-to-side standing waves and offer a perfect place to hang some box damping in the most effective place.

dave

my 2 cents

I just came back from a visit at bob's place in Abbotsford (As I live fairly close to him). We listened to stock CSS EL70 drivers and CSS FR125SeN.

The EL70 was setup with two drivers wired series in a BR cabinet. The FR125SReN was also in a BR box.

To say the least, I was very impressed to hear both of these drivers. The stock EL70 sounded like a very balanced driver. Sounded warm with lots of details and clear hi's. Comparing these to my fostex FE167E stock, they are more even sounding throughout it's spectrum.

The FR125SReN sounded very balanced as well. Haven't heard these stock but I think that the eNabling process exposes some more details than the stock. My friend really liked the FR125SReN speakers.

For $50 stock drivers, they are a great price.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
and Lotus^2

Lotus_2-3D.gif

There is also a trapezoidal version (similar to Maiko II) which will be available for a token fee on Woden Design

dave

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.