diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Full Range (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Tang Band W8-1772 Impressions. (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/150267-tang-band-w8-1772-impressions.html)

Eric 19th August 2019 02:15 AM

TYM: What do you think of the bass that is produced by this design? Are you happy listening to it without a sub? I just laminated my 38L bass reflex box with some baltic birch and walnut for the front. Looks much better, but still a bit bass shy for some recordings.

TYM 19th August 2019 08:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Good morning Eric,
I am not frustrated on bass restitution with the TB W81772. Itís an excellent driver and it has a profound potential: on some excellent recording music, I am surprised by how low it can go down in the sound spectrum...for exemple on this track: ę Ecor rouge Ľ of the album ę you should be so lucky Ľ from the pianist Benmont Tench. Yes, it depend the source richness and of course its placement in the listening room. The only problem was an harshness, a kind of acidity but magicaly the add of a baffle step correction fixed it and now itís a real pleasure... I have the feeling, it becomes with time more and more enjoyable... is it the famous burning effect or my habit to is sound signature...
Here is a picture of it:
I use it in nomadic mode in my home (itís on rolls- is my secondary system) and mono ( not stereo) with ACA amp and B1 Nutube pre.
Can you show me your speaker please?
Musically
Thierry

Eric 20th August 2019 01:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my Tang Band bass reflex box. It's about 24" high, 12" wide and 12" deep. It works out to about 38L. The vent is 3" diam and about 6" long. The wood is Baltic Birch on the top and sides with a Walnut front baffle. It just received a coat of Tung Oil and after it soaks in for about a week, it will get several coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish. When this cabinet is pushed up against the wall, it produces enough bass to be happy with.

TYM 20th August 2019 05:43 AM

Thank you, nice finish...

perceval 20th August 2019 01:07 PM

One more thing to add though.

Asking the 1772 to put out meaningful bass on its own kinda defeats the purpose of the extremely light and delicate cone.

I have had the 1772 in a vented 40-ish litre box, and using a couple of notches, it was sounding quite nice.
Small jazz ensembles, vocals, folk guitar, these the 1772 would do a great job. But pushing them with some more meaty music, they would struggle a little.

Adding woofers to free them of the low end (around 200Hz, or even better 500Hz) would free them to do what they do best.

Even adding a sub crossed at the usual 150Hz would still help them a lot.

Scott L 20th August 2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perceval (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/150267-tang-band-w8-1772-impressions-post5890277.html#post5890277)
One more thing to add though.

Asking the 1772 to put out meaningful bass on its own kinda defeats the purpose of the extremely light and delicate cone.

I have had the 1772 in a vented 40-ish litre box, and using a couple of notches, it was sounding quite nice.
Small jazz ensembles, vocals, folk guitar, these the 1772 would do a great job. But pushing them with some more meaty music, they would struggle a little.

Adding woofers to free them of the low end (around 200Hz, or even better 500Hz) would free them to do what they do best.

Even adding a sub crossed at the usual 150Hz would still help them a lot.

Agree 100%. I use my pair above 250Hz, 18db/oct, front horn loaded, and I consider them to be world class, especially since being driven by an s.e.t. amp.

Eric 20th August 2019 06:41 PM

Sure - I agree as well and mine will ultimately be driven by a SET that I am building now. After building a FHXL, I like the simplicity of a single-driver speaker. Ultimately, I might end up adding a sub, who knows where this goes next...

planet10 20th August 2019 07:13 PM

Why, if one is crossing so high are you not taking advantage of a smaller driver?

dave

Eric 15th September 2019 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of my newly finished cabinets for my TB drivers. Approx 40L bass reflex with a 3" x 6" port. Sides are baltic birch, front is walnut. Finish is one coat of pure tung oil with 5-8 coats (I lost count) of Formby's Tung Oil Finish on top of that. I'm presently using an outboard 0.56mH inductor in parallel with a 15R resistor placed in series with the driver.

zman01 16th September 2019 12:08 AM

Eric,

Speakers looks very nice. What stands are you going to use?