Tang Band W8-1772 Impressions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Response Plot Questions

Bob,

These drivers sure look promising: relatively even frequency response and T/S parameters allowing reasonable bass in manageable enclosures.

Regarding the response plots, are they for the raw driver or are your BSC and HF correction networks included? I wonder how audible the two HF peaks and the suckout between 4.5 and 6.5 kHz will be. The curves for 15 and 30 degrees off axis look very promising.

Thanks for taking the lead on this.

Regards,

Bob P.

Bob,

....Regarding the response plots, are they for the raw driver or are your BSC and HF correction networks included? I wonder how audible the two HF peaks and the suckout between 4.5 and 6.5 kHz will be....

Bob P.

No BCS, No EQ. The driver is in an MLTL, not on an EIC baffle.

The 4.5kHz notch only starts to appear in the 30* plot, so at normal listening angles -- 10-15* -- it is probably not an issue. The 6.5kHz notch coincides with the sibilance peak in most pop recordings. The effect is softening of the "s" and "p" sounds. Interestingly, this notch appears in every driver I have converted to phase plugs. I have to wonder if it is not the effect of the phase plug in THIS driver. The HF peaks are so narrow in terms of octaves, that you will probably not hear them. Look at these peaks as a continuing of the general rising FR.

Bob

Thanks Bob,
for the detailed measurement,
my Saxophon and the RDH20
horn would work.

Attachments

• rdh20 vornAweb.jpg
    rdh20 vornAweb.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,567
  • saxfront1.jpg
    saxfront1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 2,481
hey Bob - how far does it travel til the back plate is smacked? - is power handling good on drums and bass? - - BEST, Freddy

I didn't measure the distance, I just noted this while setting up the break-in frequency/power. My guess is that it is in th 5-6mm range. It really shouldn't be an issue at anything but dangerous SPL levels. Note that in my cabinet, a stereo pair will produce 105dB/w/m at 10 watts exceeding Xmax below 30Hz. Unlike Fostex or Lowther drivers, the TB really needs a high pass filter to eliminate infrasonics.

The 1772 is a very clean, low distortion driver. Under normal full-range rules, dynamic compression should not be an issue. However, Doppler distortion is still an issue, even more so since there is +/- 3mm travel available. I can hear this as I progress through Vivaldi > Beethoven > Pink Floyd > Led Zeppelin. Dynamics in the lighter stuff is super, but the heavier stuff starts to get muddy.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.