diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Full Range (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Tang Band W8-1772 Impressions. (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/150267-tang-band-w8-1772-impressions.html)

Scottmoose 31st August 2009 01:54 PM

Oh boy. It's a sad state we're in when we can't call our boxes what we like because a tiny minority might choose to take offense. :sad: Personally, I reckon your conquistador naming idea would've been really interesting Bob.

aquapiranha 31st August 2009 01:58 PM

Scott, being in the UK you should used to that by now ;)

FredT 31st August 2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Brines (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/150267-tang-band-w8-1772-impressions-post1912226.html#post1912226)
Now the short answer: You can use either set of plans and adjust the cabinet depth accordingly. I presume that I will draw up TT-2000 plans once I become familiar with the driver.
Bob

Sounds good to me. It should have been obvious, but I didn't understand the naming convention until you explanied it. I'll wait until you've finalized the TT-2000 enclosure depth and port length recommendation.

rjbond3rd 31st August 2009 06:34 PM

Bob, I am really psyched to hear your listening impressions of this interesting new driver!

P.S. I think it's good to shy away from the conquistador stuff. Here in New Mexico, people have really long memories. 400 years ago is like yesterday.

In the 1590's (or thereabouts), the "last conquistador" Juan de Onate cut the feet off 24 Native American men (an event that nobody to my knowledge disputes). 400 years later, some Native Americans did the same thing to his bronze statue (they cut a foot off), and it stirred up tremendous debate about whether this figure should be honored, whether the statue had been vandalized per se or simply made to tell another side of the story, etc.

On the other side, the descendants of the original Spanish settlers are still fighting in the U.S. courts for certain land grants. The past is still the present in these parts. :)

Scottmoose 31st August 2009 07:17 PM

I best not mention what my avatar is then... aviation buffs will probably recognise it though.

More to the point, thanks for posting the specs on the TB Bob. :) I'll be interested to read your thoughts on it when you've had chance to listen for a while.

rjbond3rd 31st August 2009 08:02 PM

Oh we see your RAF squadron insignia well enough! :) Can't tell which number though so your secret's safe. :)

Bob Brines 1st September 2009 04:29 AM

OK, here are some FR plots. The first is scaled to match the plot on the TB spec sheet:

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Now one stretched out so the details are visible:

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

That's the smoothest on-axis FR plot I have ever seen for a wide-range driver. Off-axis, things gets pretty messy above 5kHz. I'll have to see if I can hear any of this.

The sound of these speakers is pretty nice. As noted elsewhere, I applied 4dB of treble cut based on the factory FR. That may be too much. After some more break=in, I'll pay with the EQ.

Bob

italynstylion 1st September 2009 05:45 AM

Bob, very nice results it seems. How much play time have these had to loosen up? How long till you get them in an enclosure and do some serious listening? I'm very excited that Tang Band has come up with a nice driver for full range use!

rutcho 1st September 2009 07:03 AM

Bob, Thank you for the useful information!
I plan to buy a pair of W8-1772 soon.
Please, share some more listening impressions.

Bob Brines 1st September 2009 12:37 PM

Oh, yea -- Here is the impedance plot:

Bob