Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70
microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2018, 05:35 AM   #651
canibefrank is offline canibefrank  Colombia
diyAudio Member

i am building the twin driver full range towers
2 Alpair7p in each box
is there any advantage to bi-amping with a 7.1 receiver?

Last edited by canibefrank; 19th May 2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old 19th May 2018, 05:04 PM   #652
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Honestly, I'd say - probably only on paper - particularly for most music, much of which has lower power demands than special effects laden movies. Unless you're driving all the surround channels at moderate to higher power, you're not likely overburdening the central power supply .

My Onkyo (TX-NR818) has the ability to digital XO and bi-amp front mains, and after experimenting with that, full-band bi-amping with a bread-boarded outboard passive, and series and parallel passive speaker level XOs on a large MTM, I found that the passive parallel powered by a single pair of channels sounded as good as any of them, and I needn't sacrifice the pair of assignable amp channels. I happen to really like what the front height channels can add to the illusion.
Old 19th May 2018, 08:29 PM   #653
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I found that the passive parallel powered by a single pair of channels sounded as good as any of them, and I needn't sacrifice the pair of assignable amp channels. I happen to really like what the front height channels can add to the illusion.
Thanks so much chrisb. so you are saying i could run the full range using only the A+B speaker outs from a receiver? I am really leaning towards an Onkyo similar to your... TX NR686 or even the stereo TX 8260
Old 19th May 2018, 08:29 PM   #654
diyAudio Member

is the terminated Silverback Speaker wire by Sewell good for 15 foot runs?
Old 19th May 2018, 09:39 PM   #655
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibefrank View Post
Thanks so much chrisb. so you are saying i could run the full range using only the A+B speaker outs from a receiver? I am really leaning towards an Onkyo similar to your... TX NR686 or even the stereo TX 8260

I'm saying you could wire the two drivers in parallel and run them from a single pair of speaker outputs. If really concerned about load on the amp, wire them in series. I've done both, and can's hear a difference in sonics at my normal listening levels. I don't pay particular attention to the setting on the volume control, but most listening is well below 85dB SPL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibefrank View Post
is the terminated Silverback Speaker wire by Sewell good for 15 foot runs?

Having tried lots of zoomy audiophile grade speaker wire over the years, I've become more than a bit immune to whatever the ad copy says, and my wallet is all the happier for it. For my listening levels, for runs of under 20ft, I generally use nothing thicker than #18. For those long runs to the rear surrounds, I should probably upgrade to maybe #14, but again, at under 85dB, those channels aren't getting much juice.

microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70Hide this!Advertise here!