microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mrpopgun,

Dave and Chrisb would be able to comment best on this, but my guess is that you would lose out on loudness, LF, and soundtage.I checked the plans - the single driver units are called "Half Towers" - have not had any experience with them as I built a pair of dual-driver top firing Micro Towers. I have CHR-70s in my ones, but the EL70s would provide more bass. The physical size of the speakers is pretty compact, but the soundstage they create is pretty big - not sure you will get that with one driver only. The build is also quite simple.

-Zia

I need to build an inexpensive pair of speakers for a friend. The microTowers look just right (cost + size), but I'm uncertain about one thing. While the plans show multiple choices for the number/brand of drivers, the multi-driver versions get the lions share of comments. How do the mono-driver enclosures (using el70's) compare to the castle versions? Are they anemic compared to the castles? Are outputs subjectively similar with the castles adding air and ambiance? What should I expect using a single front facing driver per enclosure?

Thanks

Late to the play on this question, but - not having heard a pair of mono-driver MTs, my intuition would be they'd sound roughly similar to a Pensil with the same driver. I have heard at least two different enclosure designs with single EL70, and anemic compared to other drivers of the same size (including CHR 70 and even Alp7) would NOT be on a short list of their characteristics.

Thanks Chris. The Pencil is the other cabinet I was looking at, but since I haven't heard it either, what do your ears think of the differences between the half-cab and pencil with the el70's?

Basically, my friend was hoping for speakers at $100-$125 USD. I've got some BB laying around to help her out, but 4 drivers for castles are definitely going to cause her to have to stretch her budget. I'm guessing she would do that if the improved sound justified it, but I have no way at this point to help her understand what she would be getting for the extra money. Heck, I don't even know how to guess what the extra driver adds sonically other than some extra low-end heft I'm guessing and more airiness I would guess with the ceiling reflections.

I have to choose between Half-Tower micros, a Pencil or Castle micros. How in the world do you do that when not only have you not heard the cabinets, you've not heard the speakers?

Thanks Chris. The Pencil is the other cabinet I was looking at, but since I haven't heard it either, what do your ears think of the differences between the half-cab and pencil with the el70's?

not having made that exact comparison, it would be supposition on my part - but I'm thinking they'd be closer to each other than either would be to any of the smaller book-shelf / mini monitor sized boxes with single drivers - of course that doesn't help much if you or friend have not heard any of those

Basically, my friend was hoping for speakers at $100-$125 USD. I've got some BB laying around to help her out, but 4 drivers for castles are definitely going to cause her to have to stretch her budget. I'm guessing she would do that if the improved sound justified it, but I have no way at this point to help her understand what she would be getting for the extra money. Heck, I don't even know how to guess what the extra driver adds sonically other than some extra low-end heft I'm guessing and more airiness I would guess with the ceiling reflections.
in my installation the MTs flank a 3 section picture window and couch, so there's a mix of reflections and fairly symmetrical diffraction happening - you'd need a pretty low ceiling before that had more impact on early reflections than rear (or depending on proximity) side wall(s).

I have to choose between Half-Tower micros, a Pencil or Castle micros. How in the world do you do that when not only have you not heard the cabinets, you've not heard the speakers?

yup taking that leap of faith for one's self is hard enough, but recommending it to a friend is even riskier

clearly I'm not altogether unbiased since I've been a fairly vocal cheerleader for this particular configuration for almost a year since our first build - but while there's no guarantees of satisfaction, I'd highly recommend it to anyone who can possibly stretch their budget to afford 4 of the EL or CHP70s

mrpopgun,

I just finished adjusting the damping on my Castle Micro Towers and have been pretty much delighted with the result. I am using CHR-70 and the EL70 Chrisb mentioned is reputed as a "bass monster" for its size and also probably more finesse in the mids and highs. Tips from Dave and Chris have been pretty much spot on for my Castle MT, so I reckon their assessment would not be far off the mark on the single driver design.

-Zia

The bass I am getting with my Castle MTs and push-pull amp is quite remarkable - I can't believe that these are 4" drivers are work. Also just thinking what the EL70s can do here with their superior LF support.

Rullknufs, when you have time, can you try the following track through your music listening service: "Kilimanjaro" from Medwyn Goodall's Mount of Kilimanjaro album. Has lot of drums and LF - plays quite well even at louder volumes on the MTs.

The bass I am getting with my Castle MTs and push-pull amp is quite remarkable - I can't believe that these are 4" drivers are work. Also just thinking what the EL70s can do here with their superior LF support.

Rullknufs, when you have time, can you try the following track through your music listening service: "Kilimanjaro" from Medwyn Goodall's Mount of Kilimanjaro album. Has lot of drums and LF - plays quite well even at louder volumes on the MTs.

Will do when i get time. Remember me later ;)

Is the internal bracing an intrinsic need or defined by the flex properties of the cabinet material? For instance, I have some oddball Baltic Birch that is 3/4". I had thought it only came in 15mm and 18mm, but it mics right at .75 inches. With the thicker wall structure, does my need for internal bracing decrease?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The top brace is still needed, as it is more important as a driver brace then a cabinet brace. It started out shorter & there was no lower one, but the test build showed significant output (at least at my scale, ie there was some) so we upped it. I don't think going from 15 to 19mm would be sufficient to obviate the need for them. Still they are optional.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That is the stuff. It comes in 3.5" and 5" thick too. That is a convenient size for a speaker builder. 2 thicknesses of that from just below the driver to the bottom of the box across the diagonal is a good base damping for the microTower. One thickness for the halfTower.

For the miniOnken (and other vented builds) we use the denser 1/2" cotton felt version.

dave

That is the stuff. It comes in 3.5" and 5" thick too. That is a convenient size for a speaker builder. 2 thicknesses of that from just below the driver to the bottom of the box across the diagonal is a good base damping for the microTower. One thickness for the halfTower.

For the miniOnken (and other vented builds) we use the denser 1/2" cotton felt version.

dave

Dave,

No need to line Micro Tower walls first?

...from just below the driver to the bottom of the box across the diagonal is a good base damping for the microTower.

OK, so I get the "from just below the driver" part, but I'm not getting the "across the diagonal" description.

If I understand this, I'm just doing the front wall (and maybe right around the speakers as indicated in the your follow-up to the poster after me)? Not the top and one side as indicated on the bipole version plans?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.