Any ideas for the VIFA TC9FD-18-08

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi people, so normally i han g out in de ESL section, but i made the Cyburg needles like a year ago and after few months i sold them, but its still remains in my head how these little beauty's sounded, only one problem. SPL
these are the needles by the way.

this year i wanted to make a cheap set of fullrange speakers again , but im aiming for just a little more spl, the bass whas great for the little tangbands, so if the new system can get the same or slightly better that would be great.

i looked at a few drivers from vifa, and im mainly interested with the first one
.here are the specs

VIFA TC9FD-18-08 € 15,00

somebody on this forum metioned that the VIFA TC9FD-18-08 had some really good test results, los distortion etc. well this one even has a nice power handling so i would like to build something with this little speaker this time.

so my question, does anybody already have a design that would fit the bill for this driver, or reused a design with good succes with this driver ? or can we calculate a new design (dont understand anything from mathcat)

i would like to make a fullrange speaker again that looks a bit like the needle, tall but not 2 meter and clean.

hope anybody can help me out or has some information, i cant find anything on this vifa model used in any design

Attachments

• z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 2,461
I've been contemplating that driver, also known as the fr35.

It seems good, a shorting ring and a light paper cone.

Instead, i shall let you do some digging into these websites.

http://translate.google.com/transla...esult&prev=/search?q=%2Bpeerless%2Bfr35&hl=en

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-product-reviews/41582-rs100-tg9-tc9-l3-830986-review.html

http://translate.google.com/transla...earch?q=%22TC9FD-18-08%22&hl=en&sa=N&start=10

Floric has run an 8 unit array using the fr35 peerless driver (84mm frame) with a little boost.
"since some weeks I have 8 Peerless fr35 per side in closed 18l. Actively crossed so a sub (per side) at 150Hz, this is really great stuff. I use a little passive boost for the hights 15u // 1,2R....... Dynamics, soundstage, tonality is great. But the little beasts quite difficult if you have to find the right position."

Norman

GM

Joined 2003
Strictly at a glance WRT TL, MLTL or similar loading (max tuning = ~63.73 Hz), then based on published specs this driver appears to only be suited for a maximally flat impedance one which due to its high Fs means it will only be good down to around Fs. I mean you could do a relatively short MLTL of around 38" i.d. high, but to smooth it out will theoretically require a high stuffing density which tends to 'suck the life' out of 'FR' drivers (over-damp its mids, HF 'sparkle'), especially small ones.

GM

GM said:
Strictly at a glance WRT TL, MLTL or similar loading (max tuning = ~63.73 Hz), then based on published specs this driver appears to only be suited for a maximally flat impedance one which due to its high Fs means it will only be good down to around Fs.
GM

i looked up the specs of the original driver of the needles W3-871S, well they can reach down to 50 hertz, but the fs is hagain around the 100 for this speaker, if the fs is the only problem it should work. but maybe there are other reasons why they dont use the TC9 ?

i think, ill try, only problem is this driver is a bit bigger, so i dont know if i just have to make the hole bigger or the whole cabinet a bit wider.

also the correction network of baffle step correction has to be recalculated. hope i can manage that. will look for the a bit expensive vifa fullrage as well the TG version

...if its crap ill...

It won't be. The little Vifa/Peerless is a really good driver. I use it in an array (still experimental) but I also tried it as a single speaker. In this application I prefere it over the more expensive Vifas, it sound a bit more dynamic in my ears. But note: I always used the little sucker in a FAST arrangement with additional active bass, crossed over at approx 300Hz (2nd order). As a consequence I don't know anything about the lower-range performance. With the hight Qts and the limited Xmax this might be unsatisfiing.

In my opinion the fr35 (I call it like that, it's really the same driver) sound best with a baffle wider than 20-25cm, the lower midrange takes profit of that. So I am not shure if the needle is the right application for it. But it might be worth a try.

There are some measurements on the net where someone showed that the waterfal of the fr35 shows resonnances in the midrange. The measurement was done in a cardboard-box. I think those resonnances came from the box, I do not note them in my setup.

Have fun

floric

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Noting that Zaph posted test results (and thus gave his blessing) for this driver, here's a small line array that might be useful as a desktop speaker (or wall mounted next to a flat panel TV). The high Qts (0.72 or 0.95 depending on the spec sheet revision!) suggests the possibility of using open baffle?
(3 in series)//(3 in series) = 9 Ohms.

Baffle shown is 24 inches tall and 6 inch diameter.

Attachments

• six pack assy1.jpg
    six pack assy1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,779
  • six pack no baffle.jpg
    six pack no baffle.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,735
4 of these drivers in a vertical array would have a nice response down to 80 hz in a vented box 15L with a vent 2" ID and 1" length. It would be 3-4 dp high near it's fs. I would place the port on the back in the center. Pad the back wall with dampening meterial.

If the cabinet was made 6.5"W x 18"H x 12 1/2"D the narrow baffle might help smooth the boosted low end.

crossover range would be 80-100 hz.

If you want a true full range go with something that has a lower fs and higher xmax. Moving mass is 2.6 grams. You would need a fancy cabinet to mass load this thing into reaching the low registers and volume levels would be very limited.

Still, this driver is very impressive and deserves more attention.

This driver's had my attention for some time now and i'm contemplating something a bit unconventional. I've been toying with the design for some time now of 8 of these in two vertical arrays of 4 side by side with a central 1" dome planted in the 'diamond' created by four co-located corners of the Vifa's. I wouldn't ask these to play anything less than 200hz and would suppliment them with an active sub, maybe even a simple plate amp driven speaker level and passed on the to the Vifa's with a simple 1st order high pass but given eight of these in a 1 liter box, there might not even be a need for a filter as a single unit would be at 110db:eek:before xmax was achieved.

Remember these?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here are have some plans for a small monitor/pc speaker using this driver:

http://www.vifa.de/bausatz/starter/kitPC/BVStartAirKitPC.pdf

Vifa 9 BN 119/8
= Peerless FR35/8
= Peerless TC9FD-18-08

I'm planning on replacing my coral flat 5ii speakers with it since i can not accomodate the big boxes it needs to reach low enough for mating with my single sub.
So hoping that thees small boxes will fit my needs better.
Other ideas are more than welcome.

Been looking at the scanspeak discovery 10f also (more expensive) but can't find any diy builds with that driver.

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.