Talking out of both sides of its mouth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
woops, wrong pdf.

Brynn-GabrielChang-map-021107.pdf

But that brings me to another question:

Besides weight and making the cabinets resistant to cat tipping, what is the measured and/or aural difference between a stepped deflector and a flat deflector? What would be the effect of a smooth curved deflector rather than a stepped deflector?

I have no Jericho, but a very live 38x18 foot dinning/living room with wood floors and wood ceilings at 9'. The cabinets would sit slightly off the center of the middle of one long wall which is the sitting area of this room.

Thanking all in advance for the guidance.

They're a bit small for that kind of space.

Different designs = subtly different response for a variety of reasons. A 'smooth curved deflector' would change the profile of the waveguide & the overall response of the enclosure. Re a flat, angled deflector, or stepped, not a great deal. There will be a slight difference as the stepped plates cause some sheering on the wavefront, but we're not talking major alterations.

I have been taken aback by the generosity and support that you and your more recent colony mates in Victoria, BC offer to this forum. Not wanting to make a pest of myself I have been working my way through the archives trying to access and systematize my understanding of how these instruments work.

The space is functionally split between a dinning table area and a fireplace/sitting area with an entry in the middle of the room. I was not expecting these boxes to provide a disco ambiance for those dancing on top of the table. They will have to wear headphones and carry iPods. For those enjoying a sherry on the couch and facing the fireplace I imagined cabinets that flanked either side.

There is the issue of off axis performance that I have not seen much discussion of as well as capacity to "fill" a room adequately. But the soundstage is just the 15x15 area of the fireplace/couches. I have been wondering what box would perform more adequately and also thinking about a 6 or 8 inch driver. Actually, I was thinking that the two driver Lotus BVR might be a better choice for this space.

But, the WAF is likely the predominant issue here and even if I take them to an auto shop for a piano black finish, or laminate in some exotic and beautiful wood, I will find any +5 foot box on the front lawn when I return from work. It will be sheer luck, or my wife's inexperience with fire starting, if they were not also ablaze.

:D

You're welcome. Hmm. The Lotus (twin driver) cabinet would indeed (IMO) be a better bet, as would the Jaguar box.

Keeping the sizes reasonable, if your good lady claps a stopper over those proceedings, & demands a more conventional cabinet, then I suggest you look at one of Bob Brines's MLTLs, particularly his FT1600MKII, and LT2000.

I am unsure what to make of the dual driver Lotus's placement of the second driver on the side of the cabinet. What is the design objective and what are the results?

Is this a WTW without the T and should I be thinking efficiency, deeper bottom and spl's ala a D'Appolito design?

Or should I be thinking bi-pole and this is why the driver is on the side.

I imagine the off axis sound is more generous or are we mostly achieving more square inches of diaphragm and a change in impedance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.