LSAF is TOMORROW!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lone Star Audio Fest

Well, at least some of us will be set up tomorrow afternoon. The main show is Saturday. Anyone that can get to Dallas aught to try to get to the show.

LSAF is mainly DIY, so come see what others are doing. There will be a few vendor like me also.

FYI I will be bringing my small MLTL's with fully EnABLed FE167s, my large MLTL's loaded with Lowther DX3's and a pair of 207/FT17H BR's. See you there.

Bob

'09 Lsaf

I went, I saw, I listened, I met, I had a ball.

Drove 207 Mi., got stopped in N Tx doing 13 over, and got a WARNING! Holy Cr#p this is going to be a good day.

It got better...

This is the first Audio show I've attended in many years. It was small enough that you could really get to chat with the vendors, and listen to their wares. Mr. Brines room was convenient to the elevators, well set-up and he was prepared to demo his wares. The 167 Enabled MLTL's were as advertised, very smooth, nicely listenable single driver speakers, the BR with the 207 and the FT17's were very nice too, a little warmer sound but well detailed without being tiring. Pi speakers Wayne Parham had his 4 Pi's with a pair of subs that sounded very very nice, they displayed extreme manners without loss of detail at low volume levels, and when they were called upon to rock, they did just that without fuss, muss, or distortion. His lecture on XO design was enlightening, and spirited discussion with him furthered the enjoyment at the cost of doubling the length of time, he had to quit eventually so Smith and Larsen could have the room.

Other highlights for me were hearing the Hawthorne OB's ( my 1st experience with OB's ) The combo of Silver Iris, and auggie were tight, well integrated, detailed, and at first I thought a little bass shy, but with further listening the bass was there, just not in your face. Brad apologized for a lack of mid bass slam, but I didn't notice it. I liked them. The Line Arrays set up in Smith and Larsens listening room were also a first for me, one I enjoyed very much. These weren't a commercial product per se, but his own speakers If I understood correctly. We had an interesting and educational discussion on LA design. The Electrostatics in the Crescendo room were some of the best I've heard, but at 7' tall and 4' wide they would never make it past the WAF test. Too bad, as they were very balanced and detailed without being brittle or fatiguing. It amazed me that they were so balanced with only a small self powered Velodyne sub for assistance in the bottom 1.5 octave.

I'm already looking forward to next year, and buzzing with renewed determination to move my projects along.

John

Well, it turns out the gf had some lame family business to attend and was in a hurry yesterday, rushing me and complaining the entire time, as expected. I wouldn't doubt it if I mistakenly came across a bit strange and rude, popping in for only a couple of minutes without saying much, if anything at all. So, apologies to everyone for that. I was determined to show up and at least have a peek though, and I'm definitely glad I did. I wasn't sure what to expect as far as who would be there when I showed up, as the site lists dinner at 6-8 PM. Sure enough, I think I missed a few. I was anxious to meet Bob Brines, as I've never even had the opportunity to hear a pair of Fostex drivers, but he must have been out while we were there. I got the 4 Pi's rockin' with Wayne's Rush CD.. that was fun, lol. Imaging was fantastic, as well as a sense of power, and the dual subs sounded very nice. Those massive electrostatics in the Crescendo room are something I'll never forget, awesome stuff there. I've been studying line arrays lately, so I was curious to hear those in the Smith & Larson room as well. He explained that they were an old design of his from the 80's with a shortage of tweeters on hand, but they sounded surprisingly nice to me, and I wish I could have stayed to listen more. Was that MaxxHorn with the Jordan JX92S's crossed high with ribbons? There were several people in there at the moment I went by, which I thought was definitely understandable.. I was amazed at all the sound coming from those drivers, including that of a thumping kick drum. The owner of the SI's was supposedly downstairs having drinks or something when I stopped by, although the room was open. For some reason, upon walking in and having a seat, I didn't even realize what I was looking at. A quick glance at the rear of the baffles answered that question soon enough though.. "Oh! Duh!!". It would have been interesting to hear them, but I didn't bother, hopefully another time. The Audio Note room had some nice acoustic guitar and vocals playing at a decent level as I came in and sat down for a track or two. Maybe it was the recording, but the sound was definitely interesting. Very detailed in the mids for sure. Somehow very different from what I'm used to hearing, not sure why. I really enjoyed it, the vocals were really alive in there. Jumping Cactus Loudspeakers.. was enjoying himself with some music that was.. interesting. 1st order passive crossovers? I didn't even know you could do that with those drivers. I would have loved to stick around and chat with him about it, but I was only there for a minute. Anyway, I think that's about all I saw during the short 1.5 hours or so that I was there. I'm definitely looking forward to next time. Hopefully I'll be able to spend more time and chat, without constant nagging from the female going on. It was great just finding out about this though, as the location is so convenient for me. Mainly, I seldom get the chance to hear much of anything. On the rare occasion that I do, I'm like a kid in a candy store, lol. A great big thanks to everyone who organized this and took part in it. I'll definitely be there again next time, hopefully getting to see and listen more, and actually meeting everyone.

Brandin :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.