Brines FB-20 done!!!! Finally

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After many labor hours my first DIY speakers are done. I've got about 30 hours on them, and I must say they sound fantastic. They are very easy to listen to for hours. As with any fostex design they excel with vocals and acoustic instrumentation, but treble and bass are also very believable and natural sounding. Thanks for all the R&D Bob. Pics coming soon.

steviedon said:
Yeah, I'm sure I'll be chastised for the finish, however I beleive the bedliner makes the cab even more acoustically inert, thus improving the sound. If you'd like, I can e-mail you some higher resolution pics to use Bob. Thanks for the props.

I use bedliner on the supra baffle and plinth of my commercial products. I like the finish and it is way easier than doing matte or gloss finish. The sheen of sprayed on bedliner is often a bit uneven, so I overspray with matte polyurethane.

Please send me hi-res pics. rbrines@onebox.com

Thanks,
Bob

HIPCHECK said:
Bob I live in Little Rock AR, are there any DIY audio groups in our area? Anybody meet up to listen to new gear?

Maybe I could come by and listen to a real full range system.

Sigh! To my knowledge, there are no DIY groups in or near LR. Up here in the Village, most of the old farts are too deaf to appreciate what I am doing. Indeed, I have yet to sell a set of speakers, or a set of plans for that matter, in Arkansas. I never bothered to get a tax number.

Sure, we can arrange an audition, but not until after LSAF in two weeks. BTW, if you can manage to 5 hour drive to Dallas, I highly recommend that you take in this show.

Bob

I dont get to travel too much right now so I wont be making any other shows......(JOB and kids keep me busy alot)

Just about every weekend from now until Sept will be spent @ Heber Springs on the Jet Ski.

I would like to audition a pair of real full range speakers though.
I know there must be some other audio junkies around here. I see old Altecs, Mcintosh, Kefs, and B&W in craigslist all the time in the Little Rock area.

I will email you offline.

Steve

I had line-x sprayed on them. It will stick well to raw wood, however I sealed the entire cabs (inside & out) with zinsser bin shellac primer just for peace of mind. I'd post some more pics of the build process, but I fear it might reveal too much of the design that Bob has worked so hard on.

As a mostly car audio guy until now I have almost always sprayed my speaker boxes with bed liner. Most places will do it very cheap if you can drop it off and they use what ever is left over from another job they are doing. I have found that MDF doesnt need any sealing/primer if it has been in the heat for a long period.

steviedon said:
I had line-x sprayed on them.

I suppose that you could have done it out of rattle cans, but it would be hard to get the sheen even. Besides, it would take at least half a dozen cans to do it right -- you don;t get much coverage with a product this thick. And at ~$8 a can, it quickly becomes cheaper for have a pro do it. Ther is no way you could do a pair of Changs with rattle cans.

I'd post some more pics of the build process, but I fear it might reveal too much of the design that Bob has worked so hard on.

No big deal -- post away.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.