Double horn and electrostats.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi folks,

Love the forum some very clever people here so i thought i'd ask a few questions.

I'm moving house soon and will be getting my first dedicated listening / home theatre room 23' x 19' :D . I'm a big fan of electrostatics and currently run a set of stax omega II mk 1 headphones for all my listening. I'm planning on doing a bit of diy in my new room (currently a garage) but am very interested in horn and alternative technology speakers. So here goes.

could an electrostatic speaker be put in a horn enclosure so that you get the benefit of the horns very high efficiency along with the very high accuracy of the electrostatic. specifically one midrange panel per speaker and one tweeter panel. I know that the pressure on the panel would be a lot more than it would be in it's open baffle configuration but what would i have to consider in terms of design over using a specific driver designed for use in a horn.
here's a link to an old design horn electrostat

next is there any way to calculate room gain of is it just a case of try it and see?

I read the entire Loudspeaker horn theory document about a dozen times now which i find facinating and notice that rather than just using a sealed cabinet at the rear of the speaker it was viable to use a second horn tuned for a different frequency. Has anyone done this and how good is it?

A lot of question but i'm new and it seems like you horn guys will know most of the answers. If anything is posted in the wrong forum or not suitable ill edit my post accordingly.

Thanks.

Hi,

a decent modern panel dosn´t need any support of various crooks tro play loud and dynamical. ;) I only can suggest to play ESLs pure...without casing or other fancy thingies. If You want something inferior You can put a ESL into a horn..it would work...somehow.

A DIYer did the double-horn with a small Fostex FR-driver once and the result was outstandingly bad. For home usage there is nowadays no real reason to use horns.

jauu
calvin

BTW. ESLs are amongst the most efficient driver principles! Up to 30% are possible.

For home usage there is nowadays no real reason to use horns.

For home usage there is nowadays no real reason to use ESL.

For home usage there is nowadays no real reason to use ribbons.

For home usage there is nowadays no real reason to use full-range drivers.

For home usage there is nowadays no real reason to use BR enclosures.

For home usage there is nowadays no real reason to use (ML)TL enclosures.

For home usage there is nowadays no real reason to use sealed enclosures.

For home usage there is nowadays no real reason to use aperiodic enclosures.

For home usage there is nowadays no real reason to use large enclosures.

... and so forth...

Cheers
Raymond

CV

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Oublie
Please try it! I think it's a great idea... literally 10 mins ago (and not having seen this thread) I sent an email to a buddy who has a flat pack square section conical horn suggesting we give it a go. Just a standard horn, not double though.

There's an old AES article by Josef (sp?) Merhaut on a horn loaded ESL compression tweeter which you might like to track down for inspiration.

Cheers
cv

thanks cv i think i may give it a go.

I have some old electret (not electrostatic cans that i could use for a prototype - not for high db reading but more for a proof of concept and measurement purposes i.e. will it work as a high midrange/ tweeter or small fullrange when used with a horn. I can start with a closed box and horn arangement and put a secondary horn on the back folded correctly for phase etc once the first part is up and running. Ill report back if and when i get some testing done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.