Tang Band W3-593SF vs. Tang Band W3-926SD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all! I'm new to speaker building so I've decided to go with small bookshelf speakers as my first project. After reading around I've decided on using full-range Tang Band 3" drivers (1 per speaker). Of course there has to be two nearly identical TB drivers for me to choose between: the W3-593SF and the W3-926SD. Has anyone had any experience with either/both of these drivers. I did notice that the former was shielded and the latter not, but that's not really an issue for me; I'm mostly interested in the sound I'll be getting. Any suggestions or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Eric

Have you thought about the W3-871? Most people who end up using Tangband 3" elements for DIY speakers have chosen this driver.

Also, if inch bigger isn't a problem, I'd recommend W4-655. I build a pair of Cyburgs Sticks, and they were so good that I ordered 3 more and am now building another pair of sticks and a center speaker to go with them.

true, 871s is unavailiable except on ebay. I'd

The 593sf is not the same driver as the 871s with a different frame. The 593 has a 2g cone with 18.4mm diameter voice coil.

the 871s I've seen different numbers for voice coil diameter size and cone weight. (2g and 1.71g)
http://www.ritlab.jp/shop/product/speaker/data/tangband/w3-871s.html
http://209.85.225.132/translate_c?h...le.com&usg=ALkJrhhBa8uNAoIkxplxrsEpbUn18w88Ew

Weird, says here in Italian that the 871s is availiable 15/3/09....
I wish partsexpress would carry them again. I'd imagine they would sell, especially with all the positive reviews and projects online.

The 926 is a poly cone, that scares me. And someone mentioned the plastic sound on the reviews for the driver. Maybe it is ok being so light, but I'm not convinced without a listen. Polys can measure nice and flat, but the usually lack detail or clarity. Nowadays some companies add stuff to increase rigidity (talc powder) and it makes the cone stiffer and sound better (morel).

If the 593sf is the 871s, then it may move to front of my projects.

I enjoy my 4" bamboos. Some like the 3" as well.

Looking around, the 593sf seems like a good little driver.

Norman

gychang,
Can you compare your 593sf to your other full rangers ?

I had the w3-871s and now I run a dual 4" Bamboo Tang Bands (plus bass support). I'm not a fan of whizzers either.

I know you like the Bamboo and have experiences with full rangers.

I've been closely looking at the 593sf or the peerless tc9 for a 9 concave array but lately I've been drawn to the small 2" ones to make a "nonsuch 4" by seventh veil (now out of business) or maybe a 9 focused array driver also. But the 2" would need a woofer as most of the 2" have sealed f3 = 350hz.

Norman

norman bates said:
gychang,
Can you compare your 593sf to your other full rangers ?

I had the w3-871s and now I run a dual 4" Bamboo Tang Bands (plus bass support).
Norman

I can say I thought the Cyburg Needles tunred out little better with 871s than with 593SFs. Built them both with BSC in. I did not have them both to compare at same time however.

Cyburg Needles sounds good with either of them.

gychang

GWEE said:
Yes id like to know how it comes out also. Are you going to use the speakers in the Cyburg sticks.

I looked at the Sticks but decided to go with a design of my own. They'll be small book shelf speakers made from 3/4" MDF with the interior dimensions being 10" high, 4" wide, and 6" deep with a rectangular port of some kind.
Any recommendations on port size for a box of those dimensions/drivers?? I was thinking a 2" by 4" slot right at the bottom but I have to figure out how far back the port should go... I might post a pic of my plans so far.

I did get the drivers in the mail today, they sound super in a cardboard box with some polyfil...I can't wait to get my cabinet built though.

Zaputh said:

I looked at the Sticks but decided to go with a design of my own. They'll be small book shelf speakers made from 3/4" MDF with the interior dimensions being 10" high, 4" wide, and 6" deep with a rectangular port of some kind.
Any recommendations on port size for a box of those dimensions/drivers?? I was thinking a 2" by 4" slot right at the bottom but I have to figure out how far back the port should go... I might post a pic of my plans so far.

I did get the drivers in the mail today, they sound super in a cardboard box with some polyfil...I can't wait to get my cabinet built though.

You may want to look at DelSol, built them with 593 and they sound good, similar size with bottom vent.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/show...0212&perpage=25&highlight=delsol&pagenumber=5

gychang

Attachments

• delsol2.jpg
    delsol2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 632
Joined 2004
Paid Member
norman bates said:
I enjoy my 4" bamboos.
I made a center channel from a W3-881S (poly cone) that turned out pretty nice, but that was an easy choice at about $18. I want to try the bamboo W4-1320SJ in a better center channel (to go with my ESLs) and maybe also surrounds or mini monitors, and I have been hesitant to plonk down about $50 each. I expect the bamboo/paper cone to be better than the poly cone, but how much better? Are the TB-supplied FR curves reliable?

I have the 1320sd.............. (pre lead free solder) same otherwise.

That peak at 6khz is real, but I've never been bothered by it.

They don't do bass, but they can go in a .2ft3 box ported to the near f3 of 80hz (tuned to 80hz). Sealed they don't have any bass. And don't forget your baffle step either.

For the $$ it is well made. Cast frame, underhung, shorting ring, bamboo 3.5 gram cone, and strong magnet. It is well engineered.

I'd just buy 1 to try.
I've seen the sd's for sale on ebay.

I don't regret buying them.
I cannot compare them to much though.

I bought a few when the sd's were on closeout for $30.

But what do you get for $50 nowadadys ?
I wouldn't have paid $50 for them b4 I tried them.
Now I would.....................

They still amaze me and show me how bad many recordings are such as old julie london, dave brubeck, and even Norah Jones. And I'm still playing around with mine a year later (a record for me). You can run an active crossover if you want to crank it.

It is easy on the ear and clear (clean).
Detail ? I think the w3-871s edges it out, but I need one for a direct comparison instead of my memories............. But I'd imagine a 1.7g 32cm2 cone should have more detail than a 3.5g 57 cm2 cone.

Most of this stuff is like flavors.
I'd definitely stick to bamboo/hemp/paper over any poly unless you are using micro drivers (1.5 gram cones).

If you want opinions on the 4" bamboo, do a search for the 1320sd here and over at the full range driver forum..............
Not many have played with it.

Better ? Worse ?
It takes a while to get bunchs of drivers to give a comparison.

Oh yea, mine took about a month (dual driver setup like the omega minuet) to sound its best.

Norman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.