Recommendation for filter and L-pad for Fostex FE 206 ES-R and T90 A-EX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some advice on how to connect the filter capacity and the attenuator between my full range speaker and tweeter. I know that some of you have already experimented with this setup so I would welcome your feedback.

1) I have a pair of Fostex R100T attenuators (L-pad) that will allow me to fine tune the sound pressure of the tweeter.

2) The Full Range Fostex FE 206 ES-R will be interconnected with the tweeter T90A-EX via a 0.47 or 0.33 mfd capacity. I have to experiment with this a bit more so advices/comments are welcome on which capacity seems to works the best. I have seen values up to 1.0 mfd.

I have looked on the web and I saw different ways of connecting the + and - of the tweeter, basically inverting (or not) the phase of the tweeter compared to the Full Range driver.

In the attachment, this is the schematic I have found (tweeter connection not inverted compared to other speaker).

Question: Does your set-up looks like this schematic ??

Question : Does it matter ? and could the same result be achieved with either solution by finetuning the position of the tweeter compared to the FR speaker (back to front).

Attachments

• fostex 206 es-r and t90a-ex filter.jpg
    fostex 206 es-r and t90a-ex filter.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 344
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi,

You won't need to invert the tweeter polarity as this is a simple 1st order filter with no low pass. As far as the cap goes, that's up to you. Small caps are cheap so get yourself a few and try them out. Only you can tell what's right for your ears. The inverting of the polarity and the time delay of which you speak are different matters. Yes, it's a good idea to offset the tweeter in line with the 206 but again, the experimenting is free so do as you feel sounds best. Hope that helps.

Carl,

Thanks for your recommendations. I will indeed experiment --with different cap values and no reverse of polarity between tweeter and FR and start from there-- but the more I can gather upfront, the better it is.

Right now, I am breaking in the speakers (240hrs already)....

Sierra.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.