Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Alpair 6 Bass Reflex Bookshelf
Alpair 6 Bass Reflex Bookshelf
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2009, 12:18 PM   #51
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

well... that's up to the listner, but (I can only speak for the needle) I can understand your remark, the first try of the notch for the needle measured (almost) completely flat but the final notch just sounded a lot better. main differense was the value of the resistor, if you want a completely neutral sound choose a slightly higher value for the resistor
Old 3rd August 2009, 06:15 PM   #52
kristleifur is offline kristleifur  Iceland
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I had really good luck with a digital notch filter, meaning no filter parts after the amp and none before either. An active notch is probably also better than the passive notch.

edit -- with my W3-871S Needles, that is.
Old 22nd August 2009, 06:33 AM   #53
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Finally the finished article, with foundation and a layer of matt epoxy laquer.
We are most happy with the results, both optically and acoustically.

Patrik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP6 BR Final.jpg (83.8 KB, 987 views)
Old 27th August 2009, 02:15 PM   #54
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

very nice! compliments to the chef
Old 27th August 2009, 06:36 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Thank you.

On Monday we delivered the first pair to a very happy customer.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st delivery.JPG (51.1 KB, 847 views)
Old 14th October 2009, 05:14 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

As reported earlier in one of the Alpair 12 threads, I was in Hong Kong a couple of week ago to install a high-end mini system for my sister, and took the opportunity to visit Mark Fenlon at his office in Tsai Wan.

Firstly a few words about the mini system. It is basically a copy of Peter Daniels GC Patek, but I was using the LM3886 from Brian GT, and have extended it to include matching PSU, volume control with LDRs driven by CCS, Daniels DAC clone with logic driven source selector, and a CR Rom based transport with the controller kit from Huang. Speakers are AP6 BR, in two favours (bookshelf and on sand-filled stands). It sounded good enough as a mini system. The requirement was not audiophile, but simple and reliable.

Mark’s office was on the Hong Kong Island in an industrial building, and the whole place was stacked full with speaker chasses, as you would expect. He was kindly enough to spend a couple of hours with us, demonstrating different chasses in different enclosures, as well as telling us stories about his previous association with Jordan, the OEM speaker business, speaker development methods and production details and quality and cost control tricks. After all, all three of us are mechanical engineers.

We had a chance to listen to the new AP12, but unfortunately not the AP7, and had the construction explained to us in detail. We also listened to the older products, including the Japanese Lindhof AP5 BR and the AP5/AP10 combination. While one had to be amazed as to what sound the AP5 BR can produce, I was myself most attracted to the AP5/AP10 combo. So smooth, so seemless and effortless, with good presence and excellent transients. I have to say I am still very tempted to try that out, even though it will be an expensive solution.

All in all, a very memorable experience. I want to thank this very friendly English gentleman for his endless dedication and quest for perfection, making available to us all affordable and superbly nice sounding chasses. It is not a very glamorous life, and I can assure you not a very rewarding one financially either. The world would be a nicer place with more people like him around.

Patrick
Old 14th October 2009, 07:52 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Some more pictures.....

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 091009 YW GC_AP6 1s.JPG (328.7 KB, 753 views)

Last edited by EUVL; 14th October 2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 14th October 2009, 07:55 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

The shelf top version .....

The bottom plate is 15mm solid aluminium, on which the filter elements are bolted. The TO247 metal film resistors uses the plate also as heat sink.
Three feet supports the speaker kinematically, with 3 bearing steel balls mounted on fine threaded screws and seating on hardened steel dishes with a small dimple in the middle.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 091008 YS GC_AP6 1s.JPG (322.6 KB, 718 views)

Last edited by EUVL; 14th October 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 15th October 2009, 12:47 AM   #59
speakrsrfun is offline speakrsrfun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well done, very well done, and your sister is blessed to have a brother like you.... Music with love, nothing sounds better as a gift.
Old 15th October 2009, 01:14 AM   #60
c2cthomas is offline c2cthomas  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice work done there Patrick (also my younger brothers name) and very sweet for you looking after your sister by fixing her up with a great rig.

I'm not sure - but I think I could be a long lost distant uncle of yours

Alpair 6 Bass Reflex BookshelfHide this!Advertise here!