Markaudio's Alpair 10, German test and review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found this review on a German audio site. My Deutsch is a bit rusty but with the aid of Google, I've made an OK English pdf translation of the report. They've done some thorough testing (as Germans do) and given the A10 a big thumbs up.

On the parameters, it's another brownie point for Mark on accuracy (or should we say "honesty"?) It much confirms Martin King's recent close result.

Here's the link to the pdf I've made...................

Here''s the link to the German site - http://www.hifi-selbstbau.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=275&Itemid=91

I'm still playing with A6's and now the CHR's so not much time to give to more drivers. But interested if anyone's doing a cheap and quick build for these pups.

Attachments

• selbsblau-alp10-review.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,292
It is an exceptionally good review -wish we had some English language mags of this kind these days (well, there's Audioxpress, but it's struggling).

Question for the moderators -given the above point, and naturally if mightyd (sorry, forgotten your name) doesn't mind, would it make sense to rename the thread the 'Alpair 10 development thread' to run alongside the existing CHR thread? Just a thought.

from the german article
"What happened then was just wow.......... I had to restore not to worry and I was able to immediately surrender to the pleasure of music.......... Even a song like Kyrie from Misa Criolla, sung by José Carreras, was very impressive on the Alpair 10...... Everything was behind the speakers very well graded and when I viewed the speaker had............ , I have sometimes a slight obstruction of the mid-notes, such as Blackbird by Bobby McFerrin.......... For female voices are not perfectly recorded, it can be sometimes a slightly out Bissiges S hear.............. All in all counts but in the ranking of taste and someone likes the broad bands, with the Alpair 10 of its joy....... As you can see, Mark plays the audio in the room at 2.9 m distance with a linear descending trend upwards, as happened with such a gap should be. What is noticeable is the excessive range of approximately 5 - to 9 kHz and there are "Pickaxe", consisting of a Resonance comes from, as we meanwhile know.............. In the measurement in 1.0 m distance one sees a linearity of ± 3dB! between 200 Hz and 20 kHz (green lines). The peak at 8KHz I look at times left out because they are not really into the action phonetically and intervenes only when certain sheets unpleasantly conspicuous. The broad, discernible dip between 1.5 - 5 kHz and the broad bands makes one very pleasant, without the typical intrusive playback of so many other broad bands of the competition, but also for the masking effects of light, as described above, responsible. But let's face it, this really falls into the realm of taste and a slight "loudness" like most listeners very well.........."

The s's and t's might be a problem depending on material, but the dip 1.5-5khz should be helpfull. At our sub 100db at listening spot, we need the smily face equalizer to battle fletcher munson curve.

Yup, another good report for the alpair 10.............

I'm waiting to see what Dave (or planet10) will say about it.

Seems like a winner.................

Crossed at 200hz 24db, it may be phenominal.................
I'll report on that if I get one.............

Norman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.