contour/notch filter for Fe208e sigma?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Friends

I have recently began using my El34 pentode amp again, and have noticed the rising response in this driver. From the data sheet, it seems to peak at 4000 hz which tends to become fatiguing after about an hour of listening. I hadnt noticed it previously using my triode amp, and dont yet have the funds to go fully SET (which I gather is the ultimate solution for a BLH).

I was wondering if any of you would have a contour/notch filter solution to this rising response.

Other important facts:
1. I am happy with the bass and higher frequencies.
2. My cabinets are the D-58es Nagaoka BLH
3. I cross to a T-90A horn tweeter with an lpad and 0.68uF cap. Standing close to the speaker, I notice the problem in the 208 driver, not the tweeter (which is over padded if anything)
4. My room is 3.5m * 5.5m and I sit toward the back. It has some furniture, carpet, and is not a 'live' room. Rectangular in shape.
5. I listen mainly to classical and light rock. Mainly CD and my player is a Rega Jupiter. Quite smooth.
6. I tried the filter from the Jerricho horn, which is a 1.1mh, 2.2uF, 10ohm wired in parallel, then in series with the driver. it also has a zobel with 6.8uF and 8ohm in series across the driver. This has somewhat tamed the problem, but not entirely in my mind.
7. I have **mild** tinitus, and am a bit sensitive to sounds at 2000hz or so.
8. I have searched the internet and this forum with no luck.

Any help will be most appreciated!

:)

Can you use a computer (as a source) streaming lossess audio into a good DAC an option? Because then you'd be able to EQ to your heart's content (within limits). It wouldn't work for vinyl but if you're listening to CD's, this would be one easy, flexible option.

Another alternative would be to tame the peak passively (e.g., strategic pieces of felt combined with off-axis posiioning) but obviously this can be a long process of trial and error to ultimately refine (good for those recessionary times of being broke!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.