Coral Flat 5 t/s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I've just bought a pair of Coral Flat 5's on ebay..does anyone have any t/s parameters? I was only able to find some info on the Flat 6's. Their DC resistance or a way to measure it would be especially helpful. Unfortunately I can't afford a woofer tester at this point.

Attachments

• !bpysdbg!wk~$(kgrhgoh-csejlllvgm7bjzvy-6ccg~~_1.jpg
    !bpysdbg!wk~$(kgrhgoh-csejlllvgm7bjzvy-6ccg~~_1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 625

GM

Joined 2003
FWIW, a starting point.............

Using the II's minimal specs and erroneously using Qo as Qts, then with Mo, Vas = ~12.97 L, ergo a max flat alignment is theoretically ~35.24 L tuned to ~51 Hz with a ~5.08" diameter hole if a 19 mm baffle is used.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
Not accurately, unless the Mo, Fs, effective radius specs are. As I said, I made some erroneous assumptions to derive what all I calculated, so I chose to assume Mo = Mms to calc Vas. FWIW, the calc'd Vas is within an acceptable range for the driver size, Fs.

WRT the box calc, I have some experience with the simple Qo calculations and since they're fairly accurate in the range around ~0.4 Qts, I chose to assume Qo = Qts figuring at worst, the box would be too big and/or tuned too low, so with a simple vent hole it would have plenty of tuning flexibility for optimizing it to suit your app. This assumes of course that I used the right specs for your drivers and they are accurate.

All thing considered, I doubt they're even remotely close, but I'd be surprised if you can't make the suggested box work and if turns out to be way too large (or too small, which I doubt unless driving them with a high output impedance amp) you can always make new ones, so suggest you just cobble one together from scrap or other cheap materials, even industrial strength cardboard. Just make sure there's no air leaks before each modification or the effort will be wasted.

Vas = 0.01*po*c^2*Sd^2/((2*PI()*Fs)^2*Mms)

where:

po = 1.21 Kg/m^3
c = 344.43 m/s
Sd in cm^2
Mms is in grams

Note that different programs tend to use different po, c values, so for best theoretical accuracy use the ones for the program.

Bottom line, you want accurate specs you'll have to measure them somehow, whether by someone else, use a woofer tester or do it 'long hand': http://www.diysubwoofers.org/measure.htm

GM

Ok..they finally got here and it turns out these are Flat 5A-II's (thanks to this Danish guy's completely inaccurate description). I don't really have the patience to go through returning these, so I guess I'll try them out.

GM, could you do your wizard thing and tell me if that Vas approximation would still be relevant? :D

So yours says Coral 5A II, 3W nomimal, 8W max....on the back as well?

Just tested mine recently and realized one of mine had some scratchy noise at low freqs......:dead:

Anyway, mine does look the same as Flat 5 from the front, it's just that the magnet surround is different, and doesn't say Flat 5 II, but 5A II instead...

I will be interested to know any recommendation on the box design as well :D

Yep..sounds exactly like mine. They aren't a matched pair either..one says 3W nom./8W max and the other just says 8W max, but both say 5A-11 on the back. Very dirty too..need to paint over some rust. :(

Best guess I can come up with so far (with no info at all other than 3W/8 ohms) is a 0.38 cu. ft. (10.83 l) or bigger box tuned to <67hz, assuming Qts is 0.4 and Fs is 70hz.

But I still have no idea what I'm talking about. :)

Have you seen any designs for the 5A-II on Audioasylum?

ballsingtripp said:

GM, could you do your wizard thing and tell me if that Vas approximation would still be relevant?

...........assuming Qts is 0.4 and Fs is 70hz.

Good as any I guess based on my previous erroneous assumptions which assumes Qo = Qts, so 0.55, not 0.4. IOW, the cab I previously suggested.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.