Sachiko Build Thread!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

well as promised earlier, elsewhere I thought I would start a thread to document my upcoming sachiko build. The history behind this is that I have a set of FE206 sitting around here for more than a year now waiting for me to do something with them. I don't have a huge amount of speaker building experience, but I have done a pair of fonkens for some FE127EN and some angular spirals for a set of jordan JX92s for a friend.

So I hope to start gathering up the birch ply in the next week or so...

Heres some finished ones:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Build plans are here (just scroll down):

frigal horn sachiko plans

My first question to the masters: The plans list 19mm (3/4) ply, but all ply around here is now always 18mm - so I need to worry about that?

Fran

A few observations -

1. I could not find anything in the Sachiko design which could depend
on the 1mm difference in thickness. I mean something which could
cause gaps.
Some internal cavities/chambers dimensions
may vary 1 or 2mm and I reckon most non-CNC cut builds would have
that much of variance anyway.

2. A pair of Sachikos needs 4 of the "A" pieces, but the cutting plan only
shows 2 pieces. There is room for two more "A"s using
the left over wood in the 1st and 4th sheets.

3. The cutting plan has 5 Def2 deflector pieces - i.e. one extra Def2.
The saved wood can be used to accomodate an "A" piece, so both
additional "A"s can be cut from the first sheet.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
quadtech said:
2. A pair of Sachikos needs 4 of the "A" pieces, but the cutting plan only
shows 2 pieces. There is room for two more "A"s using
the left over wood in the 1st and 4th sheets.

3. The cutting plan has 5 Def2 deflector pieces - i.e. one extra Def2.
The saved wood can be used to accomodate an "A" piece, so both
additional "A"s can be cut from the first sheet.

I fixed 2, but you must have added 3 after i'd gone off to fix 2.

dave

Thanks, Dave.

Another thing I noticed is that the cutting plan for the 2nd and 3rd
sheets (sides and back) is really tight and the allowed kerf is very small.
The critical dimension here is for the width of the back piece (11 3/4").
While cutting, It may be better to start with the back piece first, to avoid
ending up with the back just a bit under width.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
quadtech said:
Another thing I noticed is that the cutting plan for the 2nd and 3rd
sheets (sides and back) is really tight and the allowed kerf is very small.
The critical dimension here is for the width of the back piece (11 3/4").
While cutting, It may be better to start with the back piece first, to avoid
ending up with the back just a bit under width.

Thanx. I allowed for a kerf of 1/8" (Chris actually did these)

dave

Thanks guys - and well caught quadtech!;)

Thats something I would have seen after I cut everything and then blamed myself for!

I didn't get to the yard to get the BB ply on Saturday, so maybe later this week (almost €60 a sheet!).

In the meantime I am thinking of making some phase plugs for the FE206 - I have a nice selection of exotic timbers here in small section that should suffice nicely. I have ebony, mopane, box, pau amarello, and I think some african black.

Any experience with these and which would be best?

(I intend to listen for a while before doing the surgery but just might get to do a set of these some night this week)

Fran

planet10 said:

Thanx. I allowed for a kerf of 1/8" (Chris actually did these)

dave

Fran:

FWIW, if Dave is referring to the Sachiko cut plan sheets that I drafted some time ago, this is a very tight pattern indeed; the kerf allowance is 3mm, less than I'd normally make for anything to be cut on our production CNC panel saw (i.e. 5mm). Neither does it include allowance for trim cuts that a production panel saw might normally want to see (to accommodate for damaged factory edges/corners).

As it's drawn, this is a optimistically efficient yield - except for the fifth sheet in the case of the stepped deflectors. If you're not so concerned with grain direction for internal panels, you could probably afford to revisit & tweak the layout of cutting to adjust trim/kerf allowances.

Make sure to check with the machine operator on those allowances before making any dust.

Yeah, I am a bit concerned about it alright. I've left the cutting list in with them so they have to look at it yet and get back to me. They have all new CNC machinery with all the mod cons - so hopefully their own software will figure out a cutting pattern too.

In any case, they are to get back to me before they cut anything. I'm buying the sheets of them as well and they might even have a part sheet lying around that they could press into service for me.

We'll see!

Fran

woodturner-fran said:
Yeah, I am a bit concerned about it alright. I've left the cutting list in with them so they have to look at it yet and get back to me. They have all new CNC machinery with all the mod cons - so hopefully their own software will figure out a cutting pattern too.

In any case, they are to get back to me before they cut anything. I'm buying the sheets of them as well and they might even have a part sheet lying around that they could press into service for me.

We'll see!

Fran

As I alluded in an earlier post, be wary of any software cut-plan optimization if you're interested in grain direction.

Thanks for this advice Chris.

I spoke to the shop this morning and their kerf is 4.8mm so they will probably run to 3 1/2 sheets - and they will do the correct grain direction on the sides, back and baffle - which will be the most visible parts.

They are charging €10 per sheet - so say $50 to do the cutting. It wouldn't want to be any more, but at that price and given that its hard to make an accurate clean cut on an 8x4 sheet handling it on your own, I think its money well spent. Most likely I would have run to 3 1/2 sheets at home anyway - and in that case I would have had to buy 4 anyway.

If he gets it out of 3 sheets, total cost €212, if its 3 1/2 it'll be €242.

Should be ready on Friday!

Fran

Well the day for my first pic in this thread has arrived. Don't get excited, its pretty simple:

Cut sheets came back today and while I haven't opened the pack yet, the widths seem to be absolutely bang on. they only charged me €30 for doing the cutting. Tell you what, that really opens up building more set of speakers for me!

I'm heading off on a few days holidays now, so afte rI get back I'll be starting assembly!

Fran

A question about the "A" piece - it seems to be 11 3/4" square and some
for the tongue.
Assuming a FE206E mounted non-rebated and no supra baffle, what is
the size of the tongue? I guess Chris/Dave allowed 1".

I have about 1/2" of thick wadding glued to the back of the magnet.

Prasad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.