Fonken Floorstander

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've heard good things with the atoll.

As to size of R to knock back the damping factor, that is a matter of experimenting. I would start by just playing with wire size. You can start with a pair of 24 g strands of Cat 5 cable (because it is easy to get and cheap), but you may find skinnier works even better -- 30g or skinnier magnet wire would be well worth trying... it is skinny enuff that it gets hard to work with and is easy to damage. If you end up there, winding the pair of connectors around a central core (such that conductors cross as an angle) or sandwiching it in heat seal plastic or packing tape is a good idea for longevity.

dave

Well Cyrille, I'd be inclined to wait til you actually get the drivers fully broken in (up to several hundred hours of playing time), before you make any decisions as to the final value of any BSC and/or series R.

FWIW, the amps I've been using for musical playback for at least the past 5 yrs or so (during which the Fonken family was conceived and continues to expand), have been almost exclusively low damping factor tube amps. That, using a single strand of #24 CAT5, and the small size of my listening rooms, significantly reduces the need for correction of the type you're discussing.

Having said that, on the one occasion that I did build an enclosure for experimentation with a variety of drivers that might need some series R, I used one of these for ease of inserting/ bypassing values under test:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

they could also no doubt be used as a platform for components for BSC components if desired. (i.e. lots of space to directly attach the passive components, or a PC board or even thin piece of masonite/hardboard.)

ok i'll do that, I just ordered an Amp6 from 41Hz and if I need a correction it'll be easier to switch between the two amps.

By the way thanks to both of you for the fonken design, and for responding to all question on the forum. I work in software development and I'm using linux and free software and I thought it was kind of the same approach. Have you think about licencing your design with one of the creative common licences ?

http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses

Best regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.