Mark Audio CHR-70 in my FAST.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK so here's the deal, I have my FF85K running on a open baffle that is the size (7”WX10”H) which would be mounted above my four 5.5" Silverflute, and to be honest they sound like they want a box REAL bad, even the FE126E sounds better. Hey don't get me wrong the dynamics and reproduction of sonic nuances is so lifelike it's uncanny they just sound very different than they do in box. So I opted to go another route and order some Mark Audio CHR-70's from Bob at Creative Sound Solutions and see what I get with two a side rather than the one FF85K. Xmax is much higher and of course sensitivity is horrible but I have the power to supply these in the system they will be married to. I'll post my results in this thread as soon as I have the drivers in hand, which should be some time next week.

I don't currently have any measurement equipment available to me so if there’s anyone in the GTA who would be interested in doing some measurements I'd be happy to oblige them as soon as I have a workable design, Peace and happy listening.

Speaks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I will be very interested in your results... what is your current XO at? 2.5 way system?

I'm currently working on a SilverFlute/(FF85 or Alpair 5/6)* MTM. The mid-tweeter will likely be in an aperiodic midrange TL (works really well in Tysen)

*(i have all three)

Don't know what kind of box i'm going to put the W14 in yet. Need to finish them up and measure them again.

dave

They will be crossed at 200Hz active the same as I've been running the FF85K's. There are 4 W14's per side and my baffle for the fullranges will mount on top of these. The baffles will have slight wings on the side to allow for my feet to be mounted to. The baffle itself will be 7 X 14" and the feet will allow me to tilt the baffle up or down. The box for the W14's is a simple slot loaded design tuned to the 40's, they are really only there to accomodate the lacking bottom end the CHR=70's won't provide in an open baffle.

I'd like to see how these sound before I toally give up on the FF85K, Peace.

Speaks

I'll give it a try and see what the differences are when the CHR-70's arrive. At this point the FF85 didn't seem strained at all at 200, but possibly could appeal to me in an aperiodic design more so tha it did in the OB. I'll take your advise and adjust the X-over and see how I like it, thanks for the input Dave.

Speaks

UPDATE!!!

So since my last post regarding this project a lot has happened. The CHR-70SI's are not efficient enough in pairs to keep up with the Silver Flutes, soooo, I opted to use a pair of FE126E's I have sitting here and they sound fantastic. This leaves me with two dilemas.... One what kind of enclosure to put the FE126E into as they don't sound to great OB and the Saburo just won't fit on top of the Silverflutes LOL... And two what to do with these 4 CHR-70's now that the project they were intended on they don't fit the bill for.

So Heres my questions to those who care to give me some input, What type of box to put the FE126E into? I have Approx 6 1/2" W X 12"D to work with, height can be whatever but the FE126E has to be mounted low on the cabinet. Not looking for any bass because they will becrossed well above that region but need solid re-enforcement everywhere else.

Now on to the CHR-70's, I'm thinking they may be good individualy as a FAST with a single W15 Silverflute. They may even work well on thier own in a small TL but not having the design experience I'll let others attempt that. They perform very well have detailed midrange and very nice top end, they perform well into the 50's near feild and in room can play fairly low at moderate levels fullrange. Don't expect thunderous bass out of these because it's just not there, remember a 3" is not a subwoofer size for a reason....

So as it stands I'll be working with the FE126E in combo with my Silverflutes and not the CHR-70's, don't get me wrong the CHR-70's are great and I'll do a writup on just how great they are as soon as I get them into thier respective homes....

Hey Dave any suggestions for the CHR-70 in say a uFonken sort of situation or even a small TL or BLH, LOL.....

I'll keep you all updated.... Peace and keep well.

Speaks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: UPDATE!!!

speakrsrfun said:
Hey Dave any suggestions for the CHR-70 in say a uFonken sort of situation or even a small TL or BLH, LOL...

We just started playing with the Alpairs. We currently have CHR-70 in a 6 litre sealed box, which works surprisingly well in Chris' small room, and on a lark, i put the pair i hav ehere in the Aiko i have kicking around (jury is still out on that, i've only listened to TV and background FM so far).

Scott is getting 2 pair of CHR which will be very interesting. We have been discussing the concept of a box that uses 2 drivers per.

We will be trying them in our onken-style box, I'm currently detailing plans for a 1st build of an A10-Onken.

I'm surprised you needed FE126e to keep up with the SilverFlute. If that is the case, it might put a wrench in my MTMs. For a FAST midtweeter i'd put them in an appropriately sized sealed box or maybe a midTL.

Do note, that if you like the 126 stock, there is a whole lot more that can be had out of them.

dave

OK I have the wood to cut for the cabinets that will house the sealed FE126E. I did some fooling around and found that in a 2.5L sealed cabinet the driver is critically damped and has a system q of around .5. Natural roll off will begin around 200Hz at around 6Db / Oct and with the crossover point being 200Hz it should integrate well to the silver flutes.

The silver flutes are in a 45L ported enclosure currently with a slot port tuned to 50Hz but seems to been measured wrong as I have a suck out around tuning. Slot is 2" tall X 6.25" W X 6" deep should have only been 5" deep or so. I've stuffed and tried other arrangements but the suck out remains.....

I'll keep you updated as I come along, I'm trying to do three projects at once and try and choose which takes precedence, the four monoblock Gainclones, the veneering of the SilverFlutes Cabinets in Lacewood, or my wife’s candle array, Peace and keep it cranked.

Speaks

P.S. Dave the FE126E's are not stock they have been modded by damping the frame with plumbers putty and also have the cones treated with Mog Podge, which I incedently put on too thin first coat and ended up with mottled drivers.... EnAbled possibley later but I'm happy now.... These drivers are also 3-4 yrs old and well worn in....

Hehe yah... But Dave, they are just starting to sound good.... Like a good worn in pair of Jeans or a good shirt, they seem to get better the more I beat them up... LOL.

Listening to The Ray brown Trio I can really notice a suckout on some of the upright bass notes coming from the silver flute cabinet, not sure if it's a room artifact or placement related yet as I get tones of output from 25-45Hz and from 60-200 so the suckout is within a 10-15Hz window based between 45-55Hz. I'm also not sure if I'm used to designs that had slightly bellied output in these regions comparitively to what I'm getting with the 4 Silver flutes. Who knows I'll work on them over the weekend coming up and see what I can achieve.

Keep y'all posted, Peace.

Speaks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.