Go Back   Home > Forums > >

My Frugel-Horn Build
My Frugel-Horn Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2009, 09:05 PM   #111
italynstylion is offline italynstylion  United States
diyAudio Member

I just finished these kids up about 40 minutes ago. I'm loving them so far. I've now experienced a level of detail that I didn't know existed before now. There are things in recordings that I never even knew were there. I have yet to fill up the compression chambers but I'll go on the advice from Chris and Dave when I get to it. How much does this vary the horn action? Is it a few hz or more like 10-20?

Either way, here are some pictures of the final product. I flared the inside of the baffle as you guys instructed me to do. The rasp was near impossible to use in that area so I ended up using the rotary attachment. It did a good job and made short work of it.

Also, I stumbled upon the ultimate win in Lowes two days ago. I was able to find threaded inserts! Honestly, having now used these I'll never use another T-nut...ever. These were amazing and ended up letting me flare out the whole bottom of the baffle.

A big thanks goes out to Dave for a great job on the drivers and everyone else who gave advice in this thread. Thank you.

Pics.....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th March 2009, 09:06 PM   #112
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Having only built one pair, my solution to adjusting back-chamber volumes is to cut filler blocks that fit the angled rear wall of the chamber. and to screw them into that wall, adding/subtracting as necessary. Having said that, my front baffle is in 2 pcs., with the driver mounted in a (removable) baffle the size of the back-chamber.
Good Luck!
Don
Old 19th March 2009, 09:10 PM   #113
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

My Frugel-Horn Build
Quote:
Originally posted by italynstylion
What things have you guys all used in the compression chambers to fill the space?
We started out with paint cans (with pain tin them )

Dowels are good. Make them different lengths, cut he end pointing at the driver at an angle.

dave
Old 19th March 2009, 09:12 PM   #114
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

My Frugel-Horn Build
Those look great... black drivers were the right cosmetic choice. Getting the chamber size right has more effect on the transition between horn and direct radiation, upper base, lower midrange.

dave
Old 19th March 2009, 09:22 PM   #115
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I can't remember - is there an SO? If so, what are their impressions?

Take your time on the fine tuning of adjusting chamber volume and damping levels, and don't be afraid to play with wire size ( i.e. as thin as 28 gauge.

anyway, congrats - and enjoy
Old 19th March 2009, 10:35 PM   #116
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Very nice.
Old 20th March 2009, 01:16 AM   #117
loninappleton is offline loninappleton  United States
diyAudio Member

With these I am always curious if you decide to use the wedge deflector.

A very handsome pair.
Old 20th March 2009, 04:12 AM   #118
italynstylion is offline italynstylion  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll be making the deflector when I get the nerve. I'm holding off on it at the moment because I'm not sure if I'm going to integrate some small subs into them. For now I'll just enjoy these.
Old 20th March 2009, 04:51 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by italynstylion
I'll be making the deflector when I get the nerve. I'm holding off on it at the moment because I'm not sure if I'm going to integrate some small subs into them. For now I'll just enjoy these.

It's well worth the effort to build the rear deflectors and experiment with room placement, before deciding if /how much bass reinforcement these might need. (i.e. YMMV)

BTW, the deflectors are a great place to use up any MDF scraps - either by stacking pieces, or building an enclosure large enough to mount a small woofer on the back panel. While you'd be hard pressed to find a plate amp that could be shoe-horned into the same triangular enclosure, the CSS SDX7 would be a great candidate driver, along with outboard amp of your choice. This is something Dave & I have talked about for at least 2 years, and just never past the cocktail napkin stage.
Old 20th March 2009, 06:25 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Default Frugel "stealth" woofer

To follow up on above post, for those interested, Dave has modeled the SDX7at about 21 liters for this application - which is approx 3x the cubic volume of the original deflector design.

A full height triangular deflector, 310mm on each side and 380mm on the back, with some cross bracing would nicely accommodate one driver per side.

Outboard amp(s) make the most sense.

My Frugel-Horn BuildHide this!Advertise here!