horizontal 1/2 stretched j-low

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi -

Picture a J-Low speaker:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/smaller-huge-j-low-280289/

Now lay it down on its side. Chop off one of the horns, making it a single-horn design. Now make it taller (or wider, if it was still standing up), about 40 inches. Now move the driver up to about 32-36 inches above the floor. You have a "floorsquatter" that is 40 inches tall and about 40 inches wide. The horn mouth exits to the side of the driver.

I'm thinking about trying this out. By stretching the width/(now height) of the original design, the single mouth has an area of 1200 sq. in., as compared to the original double-mouth area of 1500 sq. inches. Length and expansion rate remain the same. I will try to keep the compression chamber volume approx. the same.

Comments? I'll try to get a drawing uploaded as soon as I draw one. Potential problem areas I see are the driver being so far from the centerline of the horn, and the double-to-single horn conversion.

Hi! If I squeeze the entire thing lengthwise, won't I be shortening the length of both horns? I would have to squeeze it nearly in half to get the width down to something manageable. I suppose I could compensate by increasing the depth, but that starts to really eat up floor space.

I've downloaded sections 7 and 8 on BLH design from MJK's website, I might try a fresh design as well. My original thought was that the speakers would have the horn mouths toward the center, with the drivers to the outside, giving me about a 7' spacing between drivers. The entire thing might be built as one unit, in-place.

If cabinet vibrations are sufficiently low, I'd use the top as a shelf for my audio gear. If bass output is too high (which I would expect it to be, given the size of my room), I'd store my LPs and/or children in the horn mouths.

Thanks!

GM

Joined 2003
I must be missing something, I don't see why it needs to be any deeper since changing the width/height aspect ratio doesn't appear to change its effective path-length.

Anyway, doing a bit of 'napkin' math, the various measured specs bandied about dictate a ~100 Hz corner frequency, so what little horn loading that's required will mean a large cab if not corner loaded. Bottom line, the specs appear to be far enough off from published to require measuring yours before spending any quality time/$$ on a horn design.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.