zeppelin in the Audio Nirvana

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GM said:

WRT MLTLs, I simmed these for a local awhile back, but he went MIA on me, so don't have a clue if either was built. .......(snip).....

Anyway, if you build either I'd appreciate some feedback:

GM

GM-
Thanks for your (many) posts which I've been reading here as I skulk about in the shadows...

I have a pair of AN10s (now residing in the 2.8II AN cabs) and a pair of AN12s as well (those sitting on the shelf).

If you could run those drivers through the same MLTL sim you did (above) for the AN8s, I will build (at least one, if not both of ) them and let you know the results. I'm reasonably happy with my AN10s as-is, but I'm looking for something 'better' for them. I picked up the AN12s on impulse, hoping that I could get decent bass without messing with subwoofer and such.

Regards
John

AN10 - don't seem like a rocker - has plenty of top end

in big Karlson -- excursion is reduced even compared to tuning the reflex higher
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/7831/an10k15xg2.jpg

Z -- K15 with 30.5 sq.in. vent
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/431/k1530portan10z1ts3.gif

K vs reflex (tuned around 41 = "too low" imo)-
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4879/brk15an10ir1sg8.gif

sim BS half-horn
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2136/super1096lhhex3.gif

sim short BIB (if theres such a thing
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7629/super10220lbibmc3.gif

An10 off floor vs BK20 with Sammi and ST324
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/649/bk20samst324vsan10hq4.gif

terrible place to tune AN10 in 70 liter reflex
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/1793/greatwt3ploteo0.gif

Audio Nirvana Super 10:

Vb = Vas, Fb = Fs MLTL:

L = 57.25"
WxD (CSA) = ~108.804"^2
zdriver = 20.687"
zport = 54.25"
dport = 4"
Lport = 3"

Vb = Vas, Fb = Fs MLTL (short):

L = 46.75"
WxD (CSA) = ~133.227"^2
zdriver = 10"
zport = 43.75"
dport = 4"
Lport = 4"

++++++++++++++++

Audio Nirvana Super 12:

Vb = Vas, Fb = Fs MLTL:

L = 61.1"
WxD (CSA) = ~291.03"^2
zdriver = 24.6"
zport = 58.6"
dport = 5"
Lport = 1"

Vb = Vas, Fb = Fs MLTL (short):

L = 46.75"
WxD (CSA) = ~380.405"^2
zdriver = 10"
zport = 43.25"
dport = 5"
Lport = 2"

All dims inside (i.d.) and approximate, 0.2 lbs/ft^3 polyfil stuffing density simmed.

GM

@GM: can you give me a resource to quickly understand how to make a project out of the specs you gave me?

@nelson pass: do you mean that the bigger models (10-12") are performing well alone in a OB?

@freddi: "AN10 - don't seem like a rocker - has plenty of top end". too much top end making it unsuitable for rock?

can anyone give me a starting point (thread/link/project) for a costeffective sub that wuold match the super 8" on openbaffle?
and also a starting point about building an amp to biamp the woofers?
i know i'm going off-topic a bit, but i would like to make some fast idea about which solution i can afford. my current setup really doesn't work. that is i'm living without music most of the time.

More than one person seems determined that they can build better boxes than David Dicks. What I can't understand is why they haven't approached him with their suggestions, perhaps with a view to his distributing them on his website.

He's only an email away. Perhaps we could get him to contribute to this thread. Whatever your opinion of his boxes, he deserves some respect for getting the drivers produced.

w

you probably are right. he has been invited rightnow.

the augies are a bit an expensive option to go at 125$ piece from US, if i remember well MJK told goldwood were more than satysfing when used for bass support.

i found a really cheap gainclone, will 68w on 8ohm be enough to drive the drivers trough the crossover?

@GM: if considering only one sub to be in the middle what would be you suggestion? sealed, horn loaded, h-w frame? there is an interesting project on the Orions site for an open subwoofer, but i don't know what electronic the need... please give some more hints

wakibaki said:
More than one person seems determined that they can build better boxes than David Dicks. What I can't understand is why they haven't approached him with their suggestions, perhaps with a view to his distributing them on his website.
Good idea, and I'm glad the invitation has been extended.
David has always been helpful when I've emailed him.

re: Distribution of speaker plans on the AN website- Since the AN plans/designs are only available to folks who buy AN speakers (with a reminder from David Dicks not to share the details publicly), it would seem a bit strange to have other designers' work publicly available on the AN website. As long as everybody is happy, it seems like a good idea, though.....

Cheers
John

since we spend so much time criticizing i too must say david dick has always been really helpful and incredbly fast with his e-mail support.
especially when i was building my first pair of diy, the minimonitors, he answerd any kind of idiot questions came to my mind...
and also it seems he is encouraging people selling designs trough his website

really i'm giving the 2.8 a try as soon as possible and i'll report in this thread

he also feed me with fidelio plans suggestion, but he wrote everywhere on his site not to go for a horn...

@go_sub3, before having them in the phy horns did you auditioned them on a CSA enclosure, can you give any comparison? would you share the plans for the horns?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
human.bin said:
@Nelson: when will you share something about the OBs? will you?
thinking of a baffle narrow as possible what frequency do you think i should cross them to a sub? can a sub be used to go up enough? or is it just a silly idea... i surely i can spend money to buy a pair of goldwood drivers... but indeed how cheap can i go for an acceptable solution to drive them, can you give me a price-range idea?

You can go as cheap as the AN 6.5" drivers and the Eminence 15"
Alphas. Of course I spent the extra $10 for the betas, which have
a magnet ;)

As far as sharing details, In the past year I have undertaken to
measure all the FR drivers I have in a large open 4' x 6' baffle.

Having accomplished that, I cut the ob's down to 3' x 5' and began
the task of listening with appropriate woofers and active and
passive crossovers. The list includes Audio Nirvanas, Fostex,
Lowthers, and single pairs of other brands, the cheapest being the
Pioneers and the most expensive the Feastrex.

After a while this information will start being published.

:cool:

great to know Nelson, looking further for you works!
can you give me some hints on how do properly set-up a cross-over network? will a gainclone 68w/ch 8hm do the job? and t-amp/SET on the AN?

PS on first post i wrote
'1. Bassreflex: Minimonitr project from audionirvana site. simply no bass, too shouty.'
well, probably it was also my SI t-amp that couldn't give the design any justice... :) (but it gave some really deep tone on the spiral) than of course depends on recordings and kind of music...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.