Sales, Customers, DIYers, and the rest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening all. There has been a lot of debate on another thread today about a subject I have been thinking long and hard on for a number of years. I remember asking what was "special" about full range and getting a lot of very solid advice, reasoning, and education. I also remember being very open minded and asking a lot of questions. I don't consider myself opinionated and today I think I realized why.

I am a salesman. I have been in sales for almost my entire career. I am in sales now.

With that in mind, I had a thought. I sold car audio for many years and developed a reputation for being one of the best in town. People would come to my shop and say things like "I heard you were the best". I never took that to mean I sold better equipment and I never led my customers to believe I made better installations. What I wanted my customers to understand was that I would sell them, and install for them, the stereo equipment that best matched their needs, wants, and budgets. I would get them the most I could for what they were able to spend. I even went so far as to do a lot of the work for free when I knew someone well enough to know that what they were buying would make them happy. In all my years in the business, no "blank check" customer ever made me as happy as the guy who picked up his car and couldn't stop smiling from the results of his purchase. When Perry Richardson (bass guitarist for the band Firehouse) told me his truck sounded better than his monitors while he listened to a song he wrote and performed for over 12 years, I almost cried. (no kidding).

So here is a thought. Why is it that we debate about what speaker, amplifier, source unit, cable, or other thing is better or even best without questioning what the person wants in the first place? If someone is here on DIY audio, they are likely going to want to build or have something built. If they are questioning using a FR driver or a design for FR, I always want to know what they have heard and liked. It may be that they won't like any of the ideas put forth and it may be the golden BB, but without a reference, it will only be a matter of luck, good or bad, that determines success.

I have often thought of starting a website and a stable where customers could "audition" almost anything. Developing a network of contacts around the world where people with all manners of rooms, and equipment could be counted on to let a person take an interlude with their system to determine if it is the type of equipment someone wants before they take the plunge. A lot of customers have deep pockets, but no experience and by providing this type of experience, they may be able to open new doors for themselves as far as enjoyment. For those without the deep pockets looking to build something suitable, this could be an invaluable resource for saving time and money. For those in the middle, it might be an easy way to determine if a commercial system would work with a simple swipe of a credit card or if they need to try and build something or possibly locate a builder who would work with them to create the masterpeice they desire.

The thing is, after being in sales for so long, I know how to look at a person's room, their variables such as WAF, size, ability to treat a room, intended use, etc and make a fair guess at what type of equipment will meet their specific ideals. Not saying I would get it right every time, or be able to get the best possible every time, but certainly I think I could do a fair job of helping another person find something that made them happy.

What do you guys think of putting together something like this? Perhaps a database of where people could listen to certain types of equipment? Brands? Rooms? Along with vendors, connections for purchasing said equipment, and auditioning. As well as builders willing to do anything between a simple enclosure to a full blown, all out, HT room? I think it would be very cool to have such a resource. What I am not sure of is whether it would be best to try and arrange it as a for-profit type of thing or just a larger consortium or online location for conversation. A lot of people here would be included, but then, a lot of people from other places would need to be found by hand, phone, email, or letter and then brought to the database.

Just a rambline thought, but looking for opinions and ideas as well.

Take care,
Robert

I have done something like this for years within the network of my own customers. Some have public installations, that helps. I have often wished for people in general to be able to audition greater varieties of sound systems though, especially of the full range variety. Audio shows are actually a pretty good bet, I think. there is usually a strong fullrange showing.

Networks? super cool. keep me posted. Ill do what I can in walla walla, if that helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.