Fonken floorstander duct seal & damping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, i'm getting ready to build the floorstander Mark II's. Does it help to do the Duct seal on the basket trick? What inner walls is the cotton or wool felt attached to? Seems like i've read all walls but the back wall. Does the holey board actually touch the back of the speaker?
I've read a lot of post about building Fonkens but haven't read a "Sticky" or any indepth post on building these. I have the Planet-10 drawing and a few pictures.

The Duct Seal works well for me. I might add that before Duct Seal, I used oil based modelling clay which also works pretty good, never hardens and damps well.

I've seen a "few" Fonkens over at Dave's and while I admire the design (and sound!), I have never constructed one. Dave, Chrisb or SCD can tell you what you need to know as far as cabinet damping is concerned.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Well, these are a considerably easier build than the original stand-mounted Fonken, so I guess we considered an assembly log unnecessary. Plus, I tend to accelerate the construction process, and taking photos is generally the last think on my mind, and I usually need to drag Dave into the shop for that.

Yes, we like to fit the driver brace as tightly against the magnet assembly as possible - which generally requires the driver to be temporarily installed for accurate measurement.

If you build with the lower void cavity, I'd definitely recommend filling with inert ballast - as much to stabilize the slender enclosure as to attenuate resonances.

Thanks for the info guys, i've found a few more build pictures and hope to get started soon. I'll fit the drivers tight against the brace/holey board. Do i need to insulate one side of the holey board and not cut out the insulation for the holes? I saw this on one Fonken build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.