half chang or MLTL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As above, using FE206E, which would give what sort of sound in comparison? Ive only heard the 206 in a bassreflex and i wasnt happy with the highs, not when i heard a smaller 16x series in a backloaded horn which provided very nice highs. So my question sits, and should i pair the 206 with a FT17H for the highs? or will using one of the above enclosures fix the lack of high note? Ofcourse using the BSC in the MLTL

See my reply elsewhere. I've never felt the need, because I hate bright sounding systems. So no, personally, I wouldn't bother adding a supertweeter.

As for non-complex cabinets, assuming you actually have a pair of 206s, you've bought a driver specifically designed & intended for use in back-loaded horns, which by nature generally tend to be somewhat complex, and rather large. Depends on how big you can go (?)

I originally used the 206E in MJK's MLTL with the recommended BSC circut. I then put them into the Half Chang's with a slight change to the BSC and like that setup much better. The Half Chang's gave better base. I have since moved on to MJK's Open Baffle project and this is even better.

Yeah they look good too, but i think im leaning towards the MLATL atm. Just because i think it might be the cheapest and should be easy to build. But then again, the BSC might make it more expensive...Any one know places in aus where i can get inductors and resistors that would be of similar quality to the solen and mills listed?

Also, if using a tweeter, would you just take the tweeter wires with inline cap from before the BSC, but would this make changes required to the BSc since the load of the speaker is now 4ohm...?

Beau, I haven't read all the multiple thread postings, so forgive the questions

1) - do you already have the 206's in hand or on order?

If not, then why not consider the 207, for which Scott and others have developed any number of enclosure designs ranging from very simple MLTL, etc to big-a$$ double mouth BVRs.
FWIW, the difference nominal rated sensitivity between these 2 drivers is 1 dB - but those numbers tell far less of the story than the driver's other characteristics, which in your case I think is very pertinent, i.e. the frequency response.

2) What exactly is it about the highs of the 206 you didn't like "in the bass reflex"? As Scott says, above a certain frequency, well below the midrange, the box will have negligible effect on the frequency response. Chances are you might not like this driver's highs regardless of the enclosure. Like all the "6" series, it exhibits rising and somewhat peaky HF response (starting around 1200 or so IIRC)

3) by the time you consider the passive XO components or active amp solution, seamlessly implementing a decent (super)tweeter to the 206 or 207 could well cost as much as the main driver itself.

thanks for the response there, i dont have any drivers on hand yet. I have been thinking about them for a while tho. I heard the 206 in the bass reflex cab (small one) and i reallyh enjoyed the sound. Right now, im wondering what difference would there be, since i havent heard them, between the 206 and the 207+FT17h.

The reason i am fond of these fostex drivers is the fact that they do fit my budget and produce wonderful sound. So what would you suggest i look at? I am open to anything right now, any other brands/options. I am currently in japan and wanting to buy them before i go home again, since they are so much cheaper here than in AUS.

Thanks

This could really be a case of designing the system bass-ackwards.

Before choosing which driver to buy at a great price, and trying to design a system later, it would be well worth considering the following.

Size / shape of room? Some of the larger designs for either the 206 or 7 need a big space to fully integrate the direct output from the drivers and the mouth of horn/vent (particularly the 6ft tall double mouth variants). Further, smaller rooms will simply have trouble with the lowest frequencies these systems can deliver.

Smaller diameter drivers, including the Fostex FE family, generally have smoother and more extended high frequency response, particularly off axis.

On the 6 & 8" FE series, numerous builders have noted significant improvement with the addition of phase plugs and/ or the polka-dots.

Groan. Now you tell us. Calm, Scott, calm. Pink, fluffy clouds. Cuddly little lambs. Baldwin's patent nerve pills...

I suggest you follow Chris's advice & consider the rest of your room & system first before starting in on specifics or you'll run into problems.

Room size?
Position of speakers therein?
Listening distance?
Rest of system (particularly amplifier)?
Material to be played?
Presentation preferences (smooth? detailed? dynamic? Bright? Soft? etc)?
Aesthetics?

Attachments

• baldwin_nerve_tonic_971.gif
    baldwin_nerve_tonic_971.gif
    82.8 KB · Views: 301
Scott, got a script for some of those pills? :angel:

I'd bet they'd wash down nice with my favorite recent find

Polish Buffalo Grass infused Vodka - no kidding - very nice

thumbnail.php

sorry, Beau - we don't mean to jump all over y'all, but more than once we've seen way too much time, money and bandwidth poorly spent trying to solve problems that were eminently avoidable

I ran across some of that Buffalo-grass Vodka in my local Sainsbury's supermarket the other week & was tempted... now I've got the good word, I'm off for a bottle. :cheers: :drink:

New Nigella Lawson mini-Christmas series just started tonight. Lycheenies: 1 part vodka, 1 part white rum, 2 parts Lychee liqueur... perfect seasonal slurping. :)

Back OT ;) (although Nigella is always worth drooling ov... I mean talking about. Oh yes), just to echo Chris, we might seem a little harsh on occasion, but it's not meant that way. What we don't want to see is people throwing their time & money away on something that won't work for them (irrespective of the reason).

Scottmoose said:
I ran across some of that Buffalo-grass Vodka in my local Sainsbury's supermarket the other week & was tempted... now I've got the good word, I'm off for a bottle. :cheers: :drink:

I hope ya like it, a pleasant change from the overbearing aged single malts my family insists on still gifting. :eek: - just remember, YMMV

New Nigella Lawson mini-Christmas series just started tonight. Lycheenies: 1 part vodka, 1 part white rum, 2 parts Lychee liqueur... perfect seasonal slurping. :)

Back OT ;) (although Nigella is always worth drooling ov... I mean talking about. Oh yes)

finger licking good, no doubt - the drink recipe of course

just to echo Chris, we might seem a little harsh on occasion, but it's not meant that way. What we don't want to see is people throwing their time & money away on something that won't work for them (irrespective of the reason).

affirmative that

thanks for all the posts guys. OK well the room is fairly large, but i am renting so i want them to be able to move around (i would rather build them for a large room). Music i listen to is quite wide, from rock to modern jazz, but no new age house music or anything like that.

The height of the enclosure is not much of a issue, but i havent built many enclosures and would like to keep the difficulty to a medium, such as the HC. Prices here in Japan are roughly similar to the US but i dont need to go over there to get them, so a 206e will cost me $73 here, 207 $82. The FT17h is about $30. So, i have seen alot of posts saying the 207+tweeter is a good solution, since the 207 is a little bit cleaner down low.

How does the DBR fostex reccomend for the 207 fair? And can anyone show me a link to how the BSC works? Im interested to know

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.