Alpair 10 wide bass driver and Alpair 10 Fullrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MJK said:

I have looked at three of the Alpair drivers in a couple of enclosure concepts, including resonant enclosures (TL's) and even some OB concepts, and they look very promising. If the manufacturer's specs are accurate I think the drivers might generate really high perfromance designs at very reasonable prices. The one thing I do find confusing is the two different color cone options which seem to offer different performance trade-offs according to the manufacturer's website.

Hi Martin,
The coating processes used on the Alpair 5s alters the driver's performance. Cone rigidity changes when we use either our soft or hard treatments with the grey model's cone rigidity being higher than the gold version. This plus a few other tweaks causes the performance difference between these drivers.

The grey Alpair 5 is noted for its accurate clinical deleivery, making it popular in Japan while the gold verison sofer cone has a more mellow tone, usually appreciated more in Europe and the West.

For the other Alpair drivers, the coating processes used are similar regardless of the colour, and so driver performance remains the same. In these cases the colour choice is to give customers cosmetic choices.

We've done a lot of work over the past 3 years developing cones and caps with most effort going into profile design, tooling and sourcing multi-grade alloys from Japan and Taiwan.Combining all these elements has been challenging but satisfying and we hope to offer more drive choices in the future.

We are busy further up-dating our web site so will take another look on how we present the information.

Thanks,
Chris

I did a few sims for the FR alpair10, parameters will give plenty of freedom to choose the cabinet size.. I would myself probably go for the SBB4 or slightly larger with the same tune, but smaller BR cabinets are possible (even as small as 6 liters tuned @40Hz will give a nice response).

I just received a pair, so now I must "just" find the time to build some cabs and test them

I have a few of these Alpair 10 g1 lying around and would like to make a few small satellite speakers. Is there an existing bass reflex design that someone could point me towards or should I try for the above 6 litres?

Thanks Scott and Dave!

Will pushing to 12 litres be an improvement? That's about maximum size I'd go. Does the 12l design on the MarkAudio website look good?

I was fiddling around with a box calculator a few days back and came up with a SBB4 alignment of 9,35 litres tuned to 40Hzs... Is this any good?

Obviously, I have never designed any speakers before, just been following some of the many designs floating around the forum.

I will go with the 9.5 liter cab tuned to 45Hz. Do I need to include the volume of the port and the driver as well? I haven’t found Vd with the specs I have.

Either that or for the 2nd generation model.

9.5 litres tuned to 45Hz was a nice compromise with the original unit if compact was necessary. I'd be wary going smaller; you'll choke off LF output & you may mass-load the cone / moving mass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.