Alpair 10 wide bass driver and Alpair 10 Fullrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did a few sims for the FR alpair10, parameters will give plenty of freedom to choose the cabinet size.. I would myself probably go for the SBB4 or slightly larger with the same tune, but smaller BR cabinets are possible (even as small as 6 liters tuned @40Hz will give a nice response).

I just received a pair, so now I must "just" find the time to build some cabs and test them

Attachments

• three br alignmenst for alpair10fr 8-10-12 liter.png
    three br alignmenst for alpair10fr 8-10-12 liter.png
    19 KB · Views: 1,635
Alpair 10 Full Range

I'm a newbie to all this speaker building stuff so please make allowances for my inexperience. I believe the beauty of a speaker is in the ear of the beholder, so the following is just one man's opinion and nothing more.

I received a pair of Alpair 10 Full Range drivers a few days ago and installed them in a (thrown together) bass reflex enclosure. The internal dimensions are 35cm High x 18cm Wide x 22cm Deep with a port that's 4cm Dia x 14 cm Long. I used about 20mm felt damping on the top, sides, back, and a bit between the driver and the port. All in all, a very basic loudspeaker enclosure. The driver's designer (Mark Fenlon) gave me the starting enclosure volume and the port dimensions.)

The drivers were well packaged and arrived in perfect condition. They are, for lack of a better word, beautiful. The fit and finish is perfect and I felt like I was handling a precision machine.

I was considering the Jordan JX92 before I decided to go with Alpair 10 and now, I am ever so pleased that I did. After a few minutes of listening to various samples of my music collection and experimenting with the position of the speakers, I put on a Diana Krall album and quickly found myself immersed in the music. I wasn't listening to the speakers (they quickly disappeared) I was listening to the music. It felt like I had a front row center seat and she was right there, in front of me. I could close my eyes and visualize where every instrument was on the stage. I could hear the brushes on the cymbals, her every breath, when the guitar player slid his fingers to a different position, I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the idea.

Another thing I was pleasantly surprised with was the ability of these little gems to play *LOUD*. In my humble opinion, not only do these drivers match or beat the Jordans in accuracy, they can "crank up the volume" too. I put on some good old rock and roll and couldn't resist the temptation to see what they could do. Well... They can go a lot louder than *I* want to listen to and they can do it without getting "harsh" or "muddy". In fact, they can comfortably handle everything my little old Arcam Alpha 6 can throw at them and serve it up clear and clean.

Before I started this project, I was thinking about adding a sub to fill in the bottom but now, I don't feel like a sub is necessary at all. I don't know how they did it, but the Alpair 10 truly deserves the title of "full range driver". The base is tight and defined with no hint of "boom". A bass drum sounds like a base drum and when the musician plucks a stringed double base, it *doesn't* sound like an electric base guitar.

Bottom line... I am delighted with the Alpair 10 and would love for the speaker guru's here to help this mere mortal out with enclosure ideas that would do justice to this driver. Now, I wish I'd built those boxes better. They might have been keepers.

Hi RayO,

nice to know a fellow audio enthusiast in philippines.
im currently living in pasig and do some business here in manila, philippines. in which city are u residing? will u be kindly to invite me to audition the alpairs? i used the jordans before, and im planning to get the alpairs and maybe visit mark in hongkong in the next 2 weeks

cheers
henry

Hi,

I just got my Alpair 10 FR drivers and im burning them in on the floor. Ive been searching for some info on BLH cabinets, but as my knowledge on this subject is very limited, its been needles in hay. So if anyone can tell me is it possible to get good sound out of that combo, id be very happy. And if someone could suggest a cabinet desing to use, that would be just awesome!

Hmm, well.. I still havent found a horn that convinced me, so Im thinking on building a Bruce BVR. One thing that worries me, is the X-max of the Aplair compared to the Fostex. So is there a possibility that the alpair will sound boomy in a Bruce? Of course the alpair is much smaller, but still, is this a real concern?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
spedmetal said:
Hmm, well.. I still havent found a horn that convinced me, so Im thinking on building a Bruce BVR. One thing that worries me, is the X-max of the Aplair compared to the Fostex. So is there a possibility that the alpair will sound boomy in a Bruce? Of course the alpair is much smaller, but still, is this a real concern?

Isn't the Alpair 10 a 4" driver? Bruce was designed for the 8" Fostex. Harvey might work, but a cabinet is designed for a driver, just plopping in another one is a gamble.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Henkjan said:
the alpair10 is more like a 5". is there no Fostex horn that would suite?

The Fostex horns are designed for specific Fostex drivers.

If you want to try boxes other than those designed for the Alpair 10, take it's T/S parameters (in particular, Fs, Vas, Qt) and find a driver with similar specs then go looking for boxes for it (complicated by factory data seldom being what we find when we measure them).

Keep in mind that BVRs (like Harvey/Bruce) & ML-TLs are probably more tolerant of differences.

dave

planet10 said:

If you want to try boxes other than those designed for the Alpair 10, take it's T/S parameters (in particular, Fs, Vas, Qt) and find a driver with similar specs then go looking for boxes for it (complicated by factory data seldom being what we find when we measure them).

Keep in mind that BVRs (like Harvey/Bruce) & ML-TLs are probably more tolerant of differences.

dave

What boxes are desingned for Alpair 10 FR? I haven't found anything. I am considering Konus Essence clone, the one used with Jordan JX92s. Very nice looking speaker.
:)

Spedmetal, have you wrote here?

Hi,

I'm currently building them ported in 13 litres tuned to 45Hz and will report later. For higher power handling an 8 litre design was suggested but I'm not aware of that being built.
Dr Jim Griffin is also working on a MLTL design which will be published later this month.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.