alpair 5 from markaudio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I purchased a pair of Alpair 5's a while ago, so far I haven't come to making a box for them yet. However, I did measure the TS parameters, and they were very close to published spec. I think that is an encouraging sign.

In the spec, it says they have a large bump (deliberately according to the manufacturer) above 10 kHz, that could be responsible for the lisp reported by marshy. I wonder why that is. Does someone know (or have an idea)? My thought is that it might make off-axis response a little better.

timpert said:
In the spec, it says they have a large bump (deliberately according to the manufacturer) above 10 kHz, that could be responsible for the lisp reported by marshy. I wonder why that is. Does someone know (or have an idea)? My thought is that it might make off-axis response a little better.

I asked this about the J6T just after its release and Mark from Markaudio replied me this:

"Yes we have measured the off axis response. Sorry I can't release that detail at this time as we have commercial reasons not to show our competitors at this time. As stated, since our tweeter is a cone with a larger surface area and a rising response, it will give an excellent off-axis response when compared to typical dome tweeters."

So yes, I'd say based on that that it's mostly about off-axis. I have a pair and they're not too bad.

Hi guys,

_henry_ said:
i thought j6t need the box to work properly.

Not if you cross them high enough ;)

This pair that I have here and will be making an appearance in Victoria, are crossed at 900Hz. The don't seem to mind an open baffle at all, especially with a case of the spotted pox. High crossover also means better power rating.

I tried them in their own box and we don't need it competing with the woofer.

Speaking of the spotted pox on these, it actually simplifies crossover design - it controls that runaway peak around 15-20K the j6T is notorious for (sorry, it's a painfully shrill flaw, not a feature). With that controlled, we can eliminate the zobel across the j6T.

The Markaudio's still have that peak, but in a different place.

This design is versatile, because you are free to and can quickly swap drivers from j6T to the Markaudio to the Fostex. It's a series crossover in there, so the woofer will track it automatically for minor T/S changes of the tweeter.

Final design can even incorporate a 4/8 ohm switch for the tweeter.

I have tested an earlier version of these in Dave's big listening room and no worries about filling a larger room. They will do it just fine.

Efficiency is not bad for a lower budget bookshelf 2-way. I drive them with a 2/w channel amp at home and the volume for normal listening isn't higher than 10 o'clock.

Cheers!

ff85k also caught my attention, and dave already have some enabl protoypes ready.

the reason why i want to pair a small widerange and a SDX7 just to create a speaker that can play both music and HT, because i found out that a single jx92s not enough to cover all grounds.

the problem is i like to listen jazz, mellow or mainstream, sometimes rock, blues, all kinds of music, and i like to have a decent setup for the HT, but i need only 2.0 or 2.1 atmost enough for me.

thanks for more insight Geek and marshy

marshy said:

How big is Dave's big listening room? I'm thinking of trying Alpair5+SDX7 and FF85k+SDX7 in quite a large living area - but not sure what to expect.

The floor space of the main listening area is approx 400-450sqft, open to a small galley kitchen, but it's the highly lofted ceiling (max height is close to 16ft, that makes for a very nice space. The shape certainly aids in reducing LF standing waves, and allows for pretty decent bass response.

The FF85K and SDX7 is a definitely an interesting combination - actively bi-amp, XO to taste between 200-300.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
marshy said:

How big is Dave's big listening room? I'm thinking of trying Alpair5+SDX7 and FF85k+SDX7 in quite a large living area - but not sure what to expect.

The effective listening space is the entire floor of the house, about 900 ft*2 (no doors and purposefully large openings between all spaces). A rough calculation of the volume is 350m^3. The height at the ridge is just under 17 ft. The actual listening area is 24 x 16'

dave

planet10 said:

The effective listening space is the entire floor of the house, about 900 ft*2 (no doors and purposefully large openings between all spaces). A rough calculation of the volume is 350m^3. The height at the ridge is just under 17 ft. The actual listening area is 24 x 16'

dave

Along with the highly vaulted ceiling ( from 6'2" at the front wall to the 17' at the back wall), the numerous open areas to the sides on the first floor, and along the top and sides to the upper floor allow the room to breathe very well. It needs to get silly loud, and massively loaded with bass to start sounding closed in.

Tim Forman did manage this at one of the events a few years ago, but it took a heckuva lot more than a pair of 4" full range drivers to achieve it.

i think the best approach for this would running bi-amp.

maybe ff85en with gainclone, and a good sub amo.

which may cost more :D , i saw reckhorn sub amp on css web, and it appear diyhifisupply also selling this in hongkong which nearer to me and more accesible, but to bi-amp i need 2.

any other approach that i should do about this...?

anyone got ideas?

thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
_henry_ said:
i think the best approach for this would running bi-amp.

maybe ff85en with gainclone, and a good sub amo.

Not really possible to do FF85 & SDX7 with a passive XO without throwing away too much. We've been very happy so far with 2nd order PLLXO at 250 Hz (had one lying around built), but i think i can do even better... The amp on the bottom could be a gainclone or even a decent Japanese SS integrated or receiver (i've been using a 50W Toshiba (cost me $40), but have a 150W Hitachi on deck). We have been using a 5 W RH84 on top but for the FF85 a bit more power wouldn't hurt. FF85 also seems happier with SS than the larger Fostex we have been playing with.

dave

well thats a very good idea

cost effective, and if i'm right with pllxo will create better blend?

just missing the EQ, if we are using sub amp like reckhorn, which i notice in other thread will give extra thump on the bottom

how about active xo from reckhorn? F-1 anyone have experience with this?

_henry_ said:
what are u using the alpair for Henkjan, i mean in the living room or like a computer speaker? which sub ur using ?
I had*) them in my livingroom (so listning rather on axis, hence the notch). the sub is a MDS08 sub (8", closed box, Qb=0.6, basboost +6dB @40Hz), cross over is in the amp (2.1 hypex plate amp).

*) currently disassembled: waiting for cabinets to be finnished, then going to my computer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.