Found this thing at a flea market...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...and I thought it might be useful for molding my own fibreglass horns.
I don´t know if the shape matches any known horn flare but it sure looks good:)
The throat diameter is 5,2cm, mouth dia. 38 cm and length 22cm.

Attachments

• hornform.jpg
    hornform.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 995
I am convinced, that it will perform well.

Many years ago a friend of mine used similar shaped
IKEA lamps in two different sizes, one for the midrange
and the smaller one for hirange. He used the lamps directly
glueing some damping pads on the outside to prevent them
from ringing. He added a baffle around the horn mouth too.

The lamps were driven by Dynaudio units without
pressure chamber, tweeter was D21, midrange don't know
maybe D76 ...

He replaced the mid and tweeter horn of his original Klipsch
corner Horn . He built a decent crossover and got the
new mid-high units out of the corner ...

Useless to say, that the original Klipschorn sounded like
ridiculous crap compared to the IKEA horn ...

Cheers

Thanks!

I´m working on turning the lamp into a useful plug by adding some MDF parts and lots of Plastic padding filler.
The plan is to make it more "Tractrix-ish" by expanding the mouth slightly, it´s a bit hard to explain but I will post pictures when I´m done.

Thanks!

The horn is still thin as an eggshell, so I will add several more layers of fibreglass + plywood bracings on the outside.
I used light woven cloth to get the throath right and then 10oz mat for the rest.
In retrospective it would have been better to use woven cloth all over.

Hi Fuling....

Are you going to use the new cast as a mould for the real things???
For sake of appearance, you should cast the real horns on the outside of a polished mould, - that will give you a smooth inside flare, which is the most visible partof the horn.
I have been thinking about this for quite some time, but neve got around to doing something with it. Some will say fibre glass casts cannot be used doe horns, as they will ring too much....I thinkit is fairly easy to damp the outside, to prevent ringing....cork strips, etc. A few weeks ago I came across a liquid rubber product, used for roofing...( called "Gummitett" in norwegian ).. like thick paint..
Should work OK for damping the outside of the horn, If at all necesseary..........

Nice idea!

Are you going to use the new cast as a mould for the real things???

Hi!

Nope, the cast is the real thing. So far this is very much a "for fun" project just to get an idea of how to do it (and make some noise along the way). Later on I´m planning to make a plug for a properly designed horn and build something serious out of it.

Using carbon fibre cloth, epoxy resin and proper vacuum techniques would be completely awesome for a project like this, but the materials involved are horribly expensive and vacuum bagging a horn would be a mess...

I thinkit is fairly easy to damp the outside, to prevent ringing....cork strips, etc. A few weeks ago I came across a liquid rubber product, used for roofing...( called "Gummitett" in norwegian ).. like thick paint..

Tar dampened aluminum horns work well, once the smell leaves.

ron

As I said, this is pretty much for fun so far.
The plug I´m using right now has a few dents that would ruin the smoothness even if I try to do it "right".
Later on, when I´ve made a properly designed plug, I will use only woven cloth as it is much easier to work with than the cheap boat stuff I´m using now.

The question is how to make a good plug, I feel that it should be slightly flexible to allow the cast to come off easily.
One option would be the "lost foam" method:
Make a plug out of polystyrene (or whatever that white foam is called), cover it with package tape and wax it.
When the glassing is done the foam is removed (mechanically or with Acetone) and after that the tape.

I have not tried foam plugs yet, but the RC plane guys seems to use this method frequently.
I guess the tape is there to save the foam from melting when the polyester is applied. An even easier way would be to use epoxy instead of polyester and cast directly in the foam without wax or tape but I guess the result wouldn´t be very smooth.

Ya, I just checked and now realize they have to be using epoxy resin direct to polystyrene.

Either that or the foam in question is something else than polystyrene.
Unfortunately epoxy is way more expensive (and toxic) than polyester.

Anyways, I made a second inside cast of the "30´ies horn" today.
I realize that it will take an enormous effort to sand them down to a decent surface finish, I will need some kind of machine for the job. Some kind of rotating sandpaper drum attached to a power drill or something.
I´m not willing to spend too much work (and money) on a pair of
less-than-splendid looking horns with unknown acoustic characteristics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.