Any thoughts on this 108 cab?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

6moons:
Convincing as the Vivace's bass performance was in terms of extension (e.g. unheard of kettledrum from this type of speaker), it wasn't flawless. I don't mean that it suffered from the problems typical of a poorly integrated subwoofer - far from that. But there was an element that sent messages to the brain that the lowest bass notes seemed spliced to the remainder of the bass and emanated from the speaker as though on a second wave rather than as a continuous downward extension of the midrange. While the bass appears full range, it's not the kind of powerful bass of a bigger speaker descending slowly and smoothly into the basement.

smells like dynamic compression,
because the driver has an Xmax of 0,28 mm,
fullrange max. 0,3 W, nothing! even in a horn.

http://www.fostexspeaker.de/fullrange/fesigma/fe108ez.pdf

Yes, I just thought it may be connected to the person that said they were working on a special way of loading or something.. I can't find it anywhere,but I think it was back when RonC was talking about working on a H108 enclosure, and this person posted there a few times with some interesting claims, can't remember it all or even find it..
Dave:)

Hmm, well the Stereomojo clips are cool but as they are rips from CD, I'm not sure what they have to do with the speaker in question.

With regard to the Stereomojo review, I don't know why the reviewer states the 20Hz bass claim but then apparently does not test the claim by playing a 20Hz test tone? Did I miss something?!

Call me Ebenezer Scrooge, but for me, the sexier the speaker looks, the more skeptical I would be of the claims. If the sound is really so great, why add all the expensive and sonically meaningless eye-candy? If it does 20Hz, who cares what it looks like?!

Godzilla said:
>>> who all remembers how that went?

No, i don't remember? What happened?

I don't know which is less of a good idea... placing crossovers in critical ranges or loading a 4 inch driver to 20hz?

Well, Jeff - I think Mike Lavorgna's 2 part review on 6Moons of both versions of the Atelier First Horn in the above link speaks volumes.

Since copyright applies, I won't quote him out of context; but I can summarize my personal impression of the review as "an earnest attempt, but perhaps too eager to bring an incomplete design to market, and in the final analysis even with the band-aid, missed by (at least) THAT much"

As for the Vivace, 20Hz in room from an FE108EZ, with a rated sensitivity of 92dB? These pretty boys may well deliver satisfying music indeed, but it sounds like some wishful thinking as far as Gemme's "specifications" are concerned, even in a room the recommended size of 100-200sq ft. As any DIYer who's played with Fostex drivers for long can attest, "enthusiast and optimistic" specs are not at all uncommon in this market, but any speaker designer who (claims they) can bend the basic laws of physics this much deserves recognition, if not a patent.

Regarding the styling and finishing of the cabinets, I quite like the look, and I don't think resources spent there necessarily indicate an attempt to cover up deficiencies elsewhere.

More restraint in the claims and advertising copy could certainly temper the reaction of those of us who've seen hundreds of "revolutionary" designs come and go, buy I guess in the modern era of severely limited opportunities for interested music lovers to personally experience any of this gear, our attention has to be grabbed somehow.

You're welcome.

Also, never cease to remember that the first Gemme Audio speaker, which was so 'nerve-wrecking' for them to design, was in fact none other than a very pretty rendition of the completely free Fostex Factory design for the FE108ESigma available on their website, with layertone style construction & the pathway smoothed out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.